... New CAMS being tested by NST ... Update ...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

NonStopTuning

... New CAMS being tested by NST ... Update ...

Post by NonStopTuning »

I'm going to put up a few pics and let Jonas give you a few more details...

:D

--- UPDATE AUG 24 2008 ---

OK, so I have had the car in my posession for the past week. A couple days of driving around town BEFORE installing the new cams gave me a very good idea about how this particular car ran and behaved. A few days of driving around town after the Tri Flow Cams testing provided the driving impressions listed bellow.

Law's car was a very close to stock AE86, with 225,000 miles. The only mods the car came with were an intake and a gutted, straight through, exhaust. The engine had never been touched, the head had never been removed, and this was the first time the valve covers had even been taken off. In short, this car was unmolested.

The car put down 98 max whp and 89 max wtq for our baselines. We ran a total of six baselines with this car, three stock and three runs with NST Cam Gears set at zero degrees. All six runs yielded very similar numbers.

For those who want the technical specs on the Tri Flow Camshafts...
Tri Flow Intake Cam Primary Lobes are 268deg 8.33mm lift
Tri Flow Intake Cam Secondary Lobes are 261deg 8.28mm lift
Exhaust Cam Lobes are 268deg 8.33mm lift

We installed the Tri Flow Camshafts and ran several more runs. All in all, roughly eighteen runs were made on the dyno to try all possible combinations. Cams were advanced and retarded in a wide range of combinations. You will find the final set of runs plotted together in the charts bellow. These cams are 100% drop in cams, and made optimal gains for us with the cam gears set at zero degrees. Yes!!! You can drop these cams in, do nothing else, and still make more power than stock!!!

Compare the BLUE (OEM) lines with the RED (TRI FLOW) lines...

Compare WHP at 7000 RPM, 105 MPH. Tri Flow Cams add almost 15WHP here...

Compare WTQ at 7000 RPM. Tri Flow Cams add almost 11 WTQ here...

Traditional cams take away power and torque in the low range in order to add power closer to redline. As you can clearly see, these Tri Flow Cams make power throughout the power band. No giving up power down low in exchange for small gains at the very top. These cams really do provide the best of both worlds.

The following charts show baseline (pink/purple/magenta line) plotted along with Tri Flow lines while we tested with NST Adjustable Cam Gears. Even when the Tri Flows were not dialed in for maximum gains, the Tri Flow HP and TQ curves are noticeably higher than the baselines.

Proper dyno testing and dyno charts should show you dates, times of day when dyno runs were made, outside temperatue, humidity levels, max power, max torque, RPM, speed, and SAE numbers. As you can see, the NST charts clearly display all of this data.

Driving impressions? The car runs and behaves SO well with these cams. Idle is very steady and consistent. Even after spirited driving, the car idles beautifully and all gages show stock-like readings. The OEM ECU is doing a very good job of running these cams and providing management. The tone of the engine is now much more aggresive and the car has a nice growl as you climb to redline. Throttle response is much improved at any given RPM, in all gears. Simply put, these cams are AMAZING.

These cams will be available at www.NonStopTuning.com beginning in early September and MSRP is set at $790 plus shipping. Feel free to stop by our Houston showroom or contact us for more information.

:D
Last edited by NonStopTuning on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
www.NonStopTuning.com
Offering the best in Pulleys, Clutches & Flywheels, Coilovers, and more.
Be sure to keep up with us on the NST blog!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

thanks for posting up the pics Mike!

above are pictures of Colt Cams' 261in/268ex cam combo that have garnered a faithful underground following. they especially are beloved by GZE owners.

what's in the 3rd box that has "Tri-flow" written on it? it's the rumoured tri-flow 261 cam that's been a signature design of colt cams. honda tuners, dsm enthusiasts and 240sx fans have been benefitting from them. finally, colt cams w/ the help of NST is in the final stages of releasing these to the public.

a cam designed to produce a goodly amount of hp while maintaing if not gaining low/mid torque. designed to actually "drop in" using stock cam gears, these cams maybe the answer for 4AGE admirers.

Colt Cams can better explain the Tri-Flow design at their website: Colt Cams: Tri Flow Design

In the next couple of weeks the prototype Tri-Flows will be undergoing some final dyno tests and configuration. The testing will be performed on a completely stock AE86 GTS hatch w/ the only modification being an aftermarket air intake.

we'll keep you posted!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

jonas is down so i will honorably step up to take his "test mule" place
JDM AE86/AE92

NonStopTuning

Post by NonStopTuning »

CBR_TOY wrote:jonas is down so i will honorably step up to take his "test mule" place
LOL :lol:

Thank you for the support, but we are not testing in Jonas' car. No applications please, we already have a test car selected for this project!

Stay tuned everyone...

8)
www.NonStopTuning.com
Offering the best in Pulleys, Clutches & Flywheels, Coilovers, and more.
Be sure to keep up with us on the NST blog!

nt66

Post by nt66 »

cant wait to see the results
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

I'll let you know when I finish my dyno runs today.

JK 8)

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

well can't wait to see the outcome/prices
JDM AE86/AE92

Native

Post by Native »

So i read this and a question popped into my head. What if you run this cam without the tvis plate, or with it what would be the outcome. It seems that this cam will work better for an engine not running the tvis plate, but what would happen if you did run the tvis? Will it double the effect or just hurt the engine?

i read the description on the link posted and it didnt give me any answer so i just wanted to ask is it for a gts engine with tvis, or could you run it without the plate?

over all the cams with the staggered lobes is pretty interesting and worthy of more r&d.

keep this thread updated id like to read about new things this will bring up.
Go BIG, or Go Home
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/domp95.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/2805jlz.jpg[/img]

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Native wrote:So i read this and a question popped into my head. What if you run this cam without the tvis plate, or with it what would be the outcome. It seems that this cam will work better for an engine not running the tvis plate, but what would happen if you did run the tvis? Will it double the effect or just hurt the engine?

i read the description on the link posted and it didnt give me any answer so i just wanted to ask is it for a gts engine with tvis, or could you run it without the plate?

over all the cams with the staggered lobes is pretty interesting and worthy of more r&d.

will help if you running the tvis plate or if you arnt running it. I think it will be better on low end if you keep the tvis plate though
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:
Native wrote:So i read this and a question popped into my head. What if you run this cam without the tvis plate, or with it what would be the outcome. It seems that this cam will work better for an engine not running the tvis plate, but what would happen if you did run the tvis? Will it double the effect or just hurt the engine?

will help if you running the tvis plate or if you arnt running it. I think it will be better on low end if you keep the tvis plate though
i agree w/ nt66.

also, Native keep in mind that the Tri-flow setup will be tested on a completely stock AE86 GTS (they all came equipped w/ TVIS) and is intended to give even a stock GTS quite a big boost up.
Last edited by dr.occa on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

updates?
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:updates?
the target date(s) is/are Aug 18 and/or 19th. so, stay tuned.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

dr.occa wrote:
nt66 wrote:updates?
the target date(s) is/are Aug 18 and/or 19th. so, stay tuned.
I will
www.willparsonsdrift.com

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

You guy's should make headers for the 16v and 20v(for the ae86). Headers for the 20v that fit on the ae86 chassis are kind of difficult to find and pricey.
Noob since 2004

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

o.g.darkdrifter wrote:You guy's should make headers for the 16v and 20v(for the ae86). Headers for the 20v that fit on the ae86 chassis are kind of difficult to find and pricey.
the biggest problem would be to find an 86 w/ a 20v within reach to have a custom header designed and fitted. w/o a volunteer test mule there isn't much that can be done. also, the demand for them is low since there isn't a large population of them even in the states alone. the swaps aren't as common place the way B16/ B20/etc...swaps are unfortunately.