ae86 ka24de swap thread

Your Datsun/Nissan

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Nasser

ae86 ka24de swap thread

Post by Nasser »

ok so i have been considering this swap for a while and im getting into researching it now. from people who have done the swap seem to have been very pleased. with 155 ft·lb torque and about 150hp stock it does not seem all that great considering how much it weighs. but i became interested in the swap seeing how many of these motors laying around their are and they are cheap and they sell mounts on ebay i can use and can do a sr20 swap in the future if i decide. with a simple bolt on turbo kit it can produce 250hp which is a big jump and quite a respectable amount of power for the ae86. with rebuilt internals i can easily get it up to 300hp but 250 is fine unless i get that good to the point where i will need to get it up to 300hp. the ka24de also has an extra 300cc's so it picks boost up quicker than the sr20det now i have done some research on the weights. sr20det came in as 328 pounds and the ka24de comes in at 371 pounds. now the sr20det with tranny weighs 490 pounds and the ka24de comes in at 471 pounds with the tranny reason being is that the sr20det tranny is heavier causing the two to come in at the same weight but that its without the turbo the piping and the intercooler of course if i am not mistaken i do believe that you can use the ka tranny on the sr which is what most people do cheaper and saves weight. seeing t.suells setup on youtube that thing is flat out SICK with the sr and he has no problem at all and perfect control over it the weight does not seem to be an issue. the ka24de-t with the tranny should come in at about 100 pounds heavier on the front end because the tranny is centered out so it wont have much effect on it. i am really considering doing a ka24de-t after getting some greddy coil-overs. like i said people who did the swap were very pleased with the outcome and the weight is not really and issue if you look further into it plus i could lighten the front end with fiberglass fenders and bumpers and hood and i would get it down a fair bit that having said having it with the greddy coil overs should not be an issue. it would be a very fun project and an awesome exp to learn from if i like it i can keep it if not the sr is not that far down the road the other issue is the rear end but thats something i can get no prob too theirs always the ford 8.8 rear end all i need is time. plz don't leave rude comments this is something to discuss and have fun with!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

the people were gonna do that to my 86 who had it before me.....

they failed and now my chassis sucks with all the holes in it
JDM AE86/AE92

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

lulz pwnted roflcopter, im going to get help from people who work on them and do swaps and plan it out well i don't see how they went wrong.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Nasser wrote:lulz pwnted roflcopter, im going to get help from people who work on them and do swaps and plan it out well i don't see how they went wrong.
it's easy when you have a low to no amount of commitment philosophy.

but first, you have to know what you want to do, how you're going to do it, what it's going to take for you to do it and then set about doing it and seeing it through.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Why not just do it yourself... It would probably take me a day at most.

A little cutting welding, measuring and grinding and your done.

How they f-bombed up his chassis is another tale I wouldn't mind hearing.

GO BUY A WELDER AND GRINDER!!!! 2 most basic tools that you will have for the rest of your life.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

hvguy wrote:Why not just do it yourself... It would probably take me a day at most.

so, you'll have the engine, custom engine brackets, engine properly located to maintain proper weight balance - header clearance - steering column clearance - brake mc clearance, clutch slave cylinder hard lines ran, transmission mounted, custom drive shaft, turbo intercooler piping plumbed through the chassis, intercooler properly located, fuel pump, interior & engine harness run, gauge cluster, and the car up and running in a day?

hmmm, i'd like to see that happen. some of the best tuner shops that i'm familiar with who perform cross swaps of that nature don't claim that. Carboy of Houston (one of the top tuner shops IMO locally) won't even claim that.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

dr.occa wrote:
hvguy wrote:Why not just do it yourself... It would probably take me a day at most.

so, you'll have the engine, custom engine brackets, engine properly located to maintain proper weight balance - header clearance - steering column clearance - brake mc clearance, clutch slave cylinder hard lines ran, transmission mounted, custom drive shaft, turbo intercooler piping plumbed through the chassis, intercooler properly located, fuel pump, interior & engine harness run, gauge cluster, and the car up and running in a day?

hmmm, i'd like to see that happen. some of the best tuner shops that i'm familiar with who perform cross swaps of that nature don't claim that. Carboy of Houston (one of the top tuner shops IMO locally) won't even claim that.
Good thing I dont goto them, sounds like it would take them all week to do a simple swap.

I didnt know we were talking about a 24det.

As for the rest... yeah. Custom motor mounts on the last 8-6 I sold took me 30 minutes, and were a factory fit. Tranny mounts just take a little bit of imagination and spacing. Exhaust systems are my specialty, lets just not go down that road. And if it should come with a wiring harness..... thats all plug and play.

So yeah, 1 day.

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i was not going to do it any time soon i mean this is after i get coil overs and lots practice till i feel i finally need more power then thats where it is going to be planned out it will definitely not be a rushed project because i will buy a dd and i wont have any other projects i will not pay anyone to do it but i want to really do as much of it as i can and learn as much as i can and get help from people who have had good exp with the ka24de and swaps to help me out with wiring i have a after market fuel pump that will support up to 600hp but their is still allot to be done i will prob make a lightweight 1 piece drive shaft that will fit on either a mk1 supra rear or ford 8.8 rear end. i am trying to get a job as soon as possible and start saving money for my car i will prob have the greddy coilovers covered if i sell this comp. the main thing is with this if and when i decide to do it is think it out and not rush it and everything should go smooth.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

LMK in the mean time if you need any more help.

BTW< Ill be hosting an 8-6 meet at my house if anybody wants to join. Itll be like a shop warming party of sorts. But thats all after I get the shop re-organized and new shelves built.....

Speaking of shelves, I always see un-assembled shelves behind home depot.... Those looks like perfect candidates.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

hvguy wrote: I didnt know we were talking about a 24det.

As for the rest... yeah. Custom motor mounts on the last 8-6 I sold took me 30 minutes, and were a factory fit. Tranny mounts just take a little bit of imagination and spacing. Exhaust systems are my specialty, lets just not go down that road. And if it should come with a wiring harness..... thats all plug and play.

So yeah, 1 day.
:roll:

ok, suuuure. i've been guilty of the occassional trip into egotist land but i've witnessed enough on these car forums to retire on.

which ever.

i've had my fill of egos. i'm tired of the re-runs and sequels. enjoy gentlemen.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

hv... aren't you in NC so how would you host an 86 gathering there?

and nasser don't do the ka swap.... you'll regret it
JDM AE86/AE92

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

I think
the cost of AE86 + ka24 + parts + lobor = one good 240sx

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

CBR_TOY wrote:hv... aren't you in NC so how would you host an 86 gathering there?

well you haven't driven a ka86 have you, people who did the swap were very pleased plus haven't you seen t.suells setup his car is flat out wicked! and this will be like its brother it will only make about a 100 pound difference on the front end if i don't like it i could always sell the setup invest a little more and the sr is just a step away since i would have already had a completed ka24de in it. i wish i had the money right now to get some coilovers and other susp parts so i could start saving for this but i will just have to wait if any of you know where i can get a good job i would appreciate it help me out a little :roll:

my 86 costed me next to nothing i will be doing the labor myself when i am older and have enough exp except getting help with wiring. and the with the all around price of the project. i couldn't find a half decent 240 that hasn't been beat considering what they are selling at plus i love the ae86
plus the 86 is so light thats why it would be so awesome

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:
CBR_TOY wrote:hv... aren't you in NC so how would you host an 86 gathering there?

well you haven't driven a ka86 have you, people who did the swap were very pleased plus haven't you seen t.suells setup his car is flat out wicked! and this will be like its brother it will only make about a 100 pound difference on the front end if i don't like it i could always sell the setup invest a little more and the sr is just a step away since i would have already had a completed ka24de in it. i wish i had the money right now to get some coilovers and other susp parts so i could start saving for this but i will just have to wait if any of you know where i can get a good job i would appreciate it help me out a little :roll:

my 86 costed me next to nothing i will be doing the labor myself when i am older and have enough exp except getting help with wiring. and the with the all around price of the project. i couldn't find a half decent 240 that hasn't been beat considering what they are selling at plus i love the ae86
plus the 86 is so light thats why it would be so awesome
why not just spend the time and money on the 4ag with the same amount of effort you could have a very cool 4ag and do it for cheap. Ka corollas are over rated if you have to go with nissan you should go sr
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com