ae86 ka24de swap thread

Your Datsun/Nissan

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

Nasser wrote:uhm i never said the ka was more reliable i said that their are more of them out their and you can find em left and right for cheap. this was something that i thought up for myself i never mentioned anything about him ur the one who allways buds in saying shit about 786 when i never not once mentioned it. you are the one consitantly provoking me for kicks all the time i never ever start anything with you. i am definitly not the person who ignores people being a jerk to me and take it lightley so you have no buisness telling me what to do. i going to tell you straight up your a little shit i never liked you not once have i met you or talked to you in person. so you can do 1 of these 2 things ur the one who needs to stay off of 86 garage or GET THE **** OFF OF MY DAMN CASE!

if you have a problem with me i will be more than happy to give you my number when i get back so you can talk to me in person and explain to me what the problem here is.
Answer me this... Who told you there is a abundance of KA's out there and that they are cheap? I am sorry for bringing 786 into a negative view, I have no experiences with their shop, I was using it as a reference due to it sounding like you were following instructions they laid out for you. I enjoy provoking you when I am seeking the truth behind your thoughts and actions, especially when I know your ideas are not very good for your ae86. I am not asking you to listen to me for advise with your ae86, I am asking you to speak with professional ae86 drivers that have experience under their belt and know the correct way to build up a successful driver and ae86. I am a jerk, and I don't care if you like me or not, just realize if you need help with your car and I am there on track day I will still be willing to help you after all of this four letter words have been thrown at me. I would call you over the phone but talking to a guy that I have never met in person would be a little too awkward for me to go threw with. 86 garage needs a few jerks to get a heated discussion going every now and then, I am pretty sure as long as we keep the discussion friendly without any improper language Dr. Occa will let us have our fun :D

This is the last warning, No more Cursing on 86Garage! Keep it clean or you will be in a collage and... :oops:

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

well i think i had made it very clear in this thread before that i saw t.suells setup and it somewhat gave me the idea to wanting to be doing this project. also because you could get it to 250hp easy on stock internals and because the prices i have seen them go for on h240. i wanted to look past the fact that its just a heavy turd truck engine and layed out the facts between that and the sr making me realise having them in the 86 would not make a huge difference only about 100pounds n the front rather than assuming oh your just putting in a heavy engine on the front your tires will keep spinning over it wont be a good idea.

i do not enjoy being provoked in any way, and it makes me think the reason you are doing it is because how old i am. i have told you before i gladly accept advice from people on her like i have from everyone else aswell as compliments i have even mentioned to you before that i was glad to see us getting allong and not fighting over something on numberous threads. i try not to curse loosley on this forum but you just kept pushing me. i will be more than happy to not curse i am just asking you in a nice manner to quit provoking me or simply leave me allone which would seem like the best thing to do instead of going on even more so that we do not have any further problems. all i want is to be friends with everyone and get allong with the 86community and not have it turn into another club4ag and that is all i have ever wanted to not have any problems with you just like i have not with any1 else on this forum.

now if you could just do your part in this and i will do my part i see no reason why we should not get along together and i will be looking forward to it, have a nice day.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I would just like to point out that a KA is a iron block 2.4 liter and a sr is a aluminum block 2 liter there is defffintatly more than 100lbs diffrent right there I dont know who told you 100lbs but sr's are not nearly as heavy as a ka and if you plan on going turbo your adding even more weight. I think ka swapped corollas are a joke for all the work and effort your going to use your going to get a heavy crappy junkyard motor. Why not put some time into the 4a before jumping to the nissan bandwagon.
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Post by BlackTruenoAE86 »

What Will says is correct, My old SR was no were nearly as heavy as my friends KA.

BUT You also gotta keep in mind. Along with these motors theres a tranny the SR/KA Tranny is HUGE compared to the T50 and way heavier. Another problem you will have is your rear end. people can blow rear ends with stock 4ag's which have like 80lbs or torque I dont think a stock rear would last with a torquey motor if you plan on beating the crap out of it

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

BlackTruenoAE86 wrote:What Will says is correct, My old SR was no were nearly as heavy as my friends KA.

BUT You also gotta keep in mind. Along with these motors theres a tranny the SR/KA Tranny is HUGE compared to the T50 and way heavier. Another problem you will have is your rear end. people can blow rear ends with stock 4ag's which have like 80lbs or torque I dont think a stock rear would last with a torquey motor if you plan on beating the crap out of it
Very good point. The ae86 rearend would get owned and the drive shaft would need to be custom of course.

I had a 85 celica gt which came with a 22RE (110hp/140lbs torque) which is about 50-60 ft lbs more torque than a 4age. The stock OPEN diff is identical in size to the ae86 but the bolt pattern is slightly off on the diff housings. I broke 3rd members on a regular basis in the celica.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Overdrift wrote:
BlackTruenoAE86 wrote:What Will says is correct, My old SR was no were nearly as heavy as my friends KA.

Very good point. The ae86 rearend would get owned and the drive shaft would need to be custom of course.

I had a 85 celica gt which came with a 22RE (110hp/140lbs torque) which is about 50-60 ft lbs more torque than a 4age. The stock OPEN diff is identical in size to the ae86 but the bolt pattern is slightly off on the diff housings. I broke 3rd members on a regular basis in the celica.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i was just laying out the facts if their is more than a 100pd diff prove me wrong i was looking at pics of them on a weighing scale and thats what it had showed i never planed on keeping the rearend anyways if i was going to go ahead and do the swap. i am serious if their is a bigger difference then show me but thats what it had showed as the complete engine with no oil in it compared to the sr. i do know it will have to have a custom driveshaft. t.suells sr86 is freaking sick if you have seen videos of it in action and if the ka does turn out as bad as you say it is i can easily sell it and be a step away from the sr20 since the ka conversion had been done. i am not jumping on any nissan bandwagon its just that it takes quite a bit to get allot of horse out of a 4age. ive got everything to gain and nothing to loose ka-t can be sold easy and sr can be dropped it easy since everything would have been done. not to mention this is not going to be something done in the near future this will be after i have a full coilover setup 4 links panhard bar etc.... and some good seat time hell by then i might have changed my mind but ill have to see how it goes.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:i was just laying out the facts if their is more than a 100pd diff prove me wrong i was looking at pics of them on a weighing scale and thats what it had showed i never planed on keeping the rearend anyways if i was going to go ahead and do the swap. i am serious if their is a bigger difference then show me but thats what it had showed as the complete engine with no oil in it compared to the sr. i do know it will have to have a custom driveshaft. t.suells sr86 is freaking sick if you have seen videos of it in action and if the ka does turn out as bad as you say it is i can easily sell it and be a step away from the sr20 since the ka conversion had been done. i am not jumping on any nissan bandwagon its just that it takes quite a bit to get allot of horse out of a 4age. ive got everything to gain and nothing to loose ka-t can be sold easy and sr can be dropped it easy since everything would have been done. not to mention this is not going to be something done in the near future this will be after i have a full coilover setup 4 links panhard bar etc.... and some good seat time hell by then i might have changed my mind but ill have to see how it goes.

post these scale pics because I dont buy it. Where these full long blocks? Tommys car is sick but he is running an sr which is night and day diffrent from the ka and Im telling you now your not going to want to have to dswap from ka to sr once its done. Hybrid motor swaps intail a lot more work than you think just to get the manifold to go around the steering rack is going to be a nightmare. If you try to go turbo your going to have to fight the mainifold again to get it around the steering rack and then if you go sr your going to have to do it all over again. With all the effort and money spent to do all of this you would have been better off starting with a sr or a non nissan motor that has the exhaust on the passenger side
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

hmm u do have a good point their, allright ill try to find the pics and get it posted in a few days my laptop is in another village and this comp has like arabic and hebrew yahoo and google its weird.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

sr's are 200 pounds lighter than ka's....
JDM AE86/AE92

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

CBR_TOY wrote:sr's are 200 pounds lighter than ka's....
Woah..... thats alotta difference.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

i'd stick with the 4a and go from there.... seriously
JDM AE86/AE92

nt66

Post by nt66 »

if you want the swap to be as easy as tommy's convert your car to rhd
www.willparsonsdrift.com

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

If you want to have fun with your ae86 stick with the 4ag. I've had friends that took over a year to do the ka swap. As soon as they got it running and drove around the block they put the 4age back in.

KA's are beastly. LS1 weighs 100lbs less than a ka and thats a f-bombing American V8. And SR86's take time and money (but would probably still be better than a KA-T setup). Time your car will be down and you will have nothing to drift, and that sucks.......ALOT.

KA-T's are bad ass, I love them, just not in an AE86.

EDIT:BTW power is over rated. Drive yourself to achieve more with less, it will pay off in the end.
Noob since 2004

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

o.g.darkdrifter wrote: EDIT:BTW power is over rated. Drive yourself to achieve more with less, it will pay off in the end.
+1, thats why I have stuck with the 4ac all this time. Weak power trains the driver. IMO

But now I want something with a bit more power, but different sound.... thus rotary power.

I would stick with your base engine, but mod it... such as with cams, cam gears, headers, better intake, little mods here and there.
Only things that won't take more than a week to accomplish. Less downtime = good. But in my case, my car won't be running for a bit until I get the engine swapped over... but thats ok, I have the starlet and FC to slide.