AznTKDmstr (a.k.a. Thaison) Sweet GTS...

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

AznTKDmstr

Re: AznTKDmstr (a.k.a. Thaison) Sweet GTS...

Post by AznTKDmstr »

tight, so the lsd is coming already installed in the casing with new bearings :D the guy just pulled it out of his rear end and is gonna send the whole thing to me.

tiiiiiight. just gotta get some kaaz juices for the rear end now and wait for christmas to come around :D
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

KAAZ 2-way is in. MAN I HAVE SO MUCH GRIP. On balding tires! My stock one was sliding everywhere...I have to get used to this new lsd.

Either that or my new headers KILLED all my low-end torque/power. It's likely since i went from 4-2-1 to 4-1...

So update:
Put old intake manifold back on
Put one new headers
Put in new LSD

drove it around. It's whining...sounds like woooooo, wooooo! And feels like there's some resistance...like some sort of vibration. Either that or I forgot how much noise my car makes. Sounds like the cockpit of a fighter jet or some shiz...
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

wat headers did u have before?
TILL IT REDLINES HACHI!!!!!!!!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

went from stock to OBX...

Also, I am pretty dang sure my pinion angle is all messed up.... anybody have the stock measurements/lengths of the rear arms?
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Just did some research and found this post by assassin10000:

Now, after grabbing my angle gauge and taking some measurements I found my angles were this in relation to the ground or rather 0 degrees:

Meaning that I was at the very outside limit of the supposed 1-3 degree operating range of the U-joints, and explaining why I was getting a light driveline vibration at 85+mph on the freeway.
________________________________________________________________________________
________

So with the car up in the air I figured it was time to try out a different pinion angle than what I had. First thing I needed to do was figure out what the current control arm lengths were set at and how much they needed to change. A few measurements later this is what the control arm lengths were on my AE86 (IE: stock lengths):

9 9/16" or 24.3 cm - Upper
18 5/8" or 47.3 cm - Lower

A quick measurement and calculation of the distance between the control arm mounting points on the differential gave me a rough estimate on how much I needed to change the length for each degree. That being said on the AE86 chassis:

3mm or 1/8" of control arm adjustment = about 1 degree. (ie: remove 1.5mm or 1/16" of length fromthe lower arms and add 1.5 to upper arms changes pinion angle 1 degree)

Knowing this I adjusted my control arms to the following lengths to give me a pinion angle of about 3.5 degrees. (Also, since I have traction brackets I get a little less than 1 degree of change per 3mm or 1/8" of adjustment.):

9 3/4" or 24.8cm - Upper
18 3/8" or 46.7cm - Lower

________________________________________________________________________________
________

Another reason I chose to go with 3.5 degrees as opposed to matching the 4 degrees that the engine/trans sits at is this:

Due to the tendency of the pinion to rise under load, some angle must be present at rest.

Also, if you paid attention earlier you'd realize instead of having a negative pinion angle, I have a positive one. This is an unfortunate side effect of this particular chassis, suspension and the lowered ride height. The ride height is low enough that the differential pinion flange will not be low enough in relation to the engine/transmission to get the ideal negative pinion angle. While still having the ideal 'matching' angles for a one piece style driveshaft (see below). The most I was trying to do was get rid of the vibration.

Ideally, the angles between the transmission output shaft and driveshaft, and between the driveshaft and the pinion will be equal and opposite.

After tightening everything back up, I took it on a quick test drive - vibration is gone, which will have to be good enough for now.

I'm going to go back and perhaps try a 2 degree pinion angle which will leave me a .5 degree negative pinion angle in relation to the driveshaft and see how that feels. Mostly because as an unfortunate side effect the more angle there is, the more torque it takes to overcome the difference. And we all know the smoking hot 100 whp that my car might have is just not enough and I need to conserve every last bit of power possible.

Ok. Forgot to give another update after doing the adjustment/changes.

I've found 4 degrees is working the best on my cars setup with solid heim 4-link suspension. It's currently set as close to 4 degrees as I can get and is working pretty well.

The 3.5 was still causing a vibration, just a lot higher up in the mph range than before. (so it was better, but not fixed)

Andrew
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

turns out i just didn't tighten my rear wheels and the driveshaft=>pinion bolts came loose.... but it's all fine and dandy now!

swapped out my swaybars from stock => godspeed. cheaper sway bar alternative, but they feel great so faR! i cant wait to test them out this sunday at the autocross

Rears:

didn't get the fronts pictured...

Front: 22mm stock => 25.13mm
Rear: 16mm stock => 20.28mm
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That godspeed sway is noticeably thicker Thaison.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nice.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Nice chucks man... and sway bar...

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

yeee
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

AznTKDmstr wrote:Alright! Back in town!

So I took pictures of the throwout bearing that was sent with the clutch kit. Yeah, definitely not the right one for the corolla... I dunno what it's for though. Anyone?

Gonna wake up tomorrow and get my flywheel to the machine shop! Then hopefully I can get the clutch and tranny in before the day is over. I hope none of the bolts are missing.... :|
you know what's funny i ended up with the SAME EXACT ONE didn't work either now i remember where i had seen it and it was on your thread lol
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

AznTKDmstr wrote:turns out i just didn't tighten my rear wheels and the driveshaft=>pinion bolts came loose.... but it's all fine and dandy now!

swapped out my swaybars from stock => godspeed. cheaper sway bar alternative, but they feel great so faR! i cant wait to test them out this sunday at the autocross

Rears:

didn't get the fronts pictured...

Front: 22mm stock => 25.13mm
Rear: 16mm stock => 20.28mm

UPDAT UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

How u liking them now that they have been in the car a while...I am real interested to know as i will prob be picking up a set
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

THEY ARE AWESOME. The car is sooo much stiffer than before. There is SLIGHT body roll that I've seen from pictures of my car at autox, but i can't feel any at all. My car feels solid and sooo stable when taking turns at higher speeds. It's incredible. For the price? They're amaaaazing!!
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

i highly recommend them!
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

been a loooong time since i've updated. anyways, purchased the megasquirt today. diypnp. early bday present to myself!!! :various1: i hope my soldering skills are up for the task! i feel like i need to practice a bit more before i go at it....

any advice??
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback