AznTKDmstr (a.k.a. Thaison) Sweet GTS...

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

AznTKDmstr

Re: AznTKDmstr (a.k.a. Thaison) Sweet GTS...

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Wow, long-time no update. So car died on me when I was driving back from Houston. Right when I got to west campus here in Austin, it turned off. So I popped the clutch and it started running again. Made it halfway up a hill and it turned off again. Tried to get a jump....nothing.

Towed it home and it sat for the rest of the summer and the whole fall semester. My friend came over and helped me with it and we got it running. NO IDEA what was wrong with it.

But then I realized a NASTY squeel from my clutchh. Bad bearing? YOU BETCHA!

The bearing BUSTED! What is my luck with bearings?? Engine bearing first. Then a couple wheel bearings. Now a throwout bearing! Haha. The busted bearing also started eating into the metal prongs of the pressure plate/clutch cover... Or whatever you call them (i'll take pictures tomorrow). I dunno if it's still good or not.

Anyways....looks like I'm not gonna be able to finish it over the Thanksgiving break. Why? Because I ordered a new F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch and lightened flywheel off of Ebay. I felt like it was a good deal....

So, waiting for that stuff to come in.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the clutch came in. I bought the F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch and lightened flywheel. I think they might have given me the wrong throwout bearing. I'll take some pics and as you guys as soon as I'm back in town.

I got everything out and was ready to put the new stuff in, but now I'm in Vietnam. Escaping the freezing weather and dying in the 90 degree/60% humidity over here.

When I get back into town, i'm gonna go get that flywheel balanced (someone told me they had bad balancing...)

Then hopefully a running car! It's been like 9 months!
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Autocross Event At San Marcos Airport in May - first run of the day, got a little lost... hahaha

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VF4oAD9cWGk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VF4oAD9cWGk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

man, it's been a while since i've been to autox myself. the thumping was kinda hurting my head though. wanted to hear the 4age more too. cool thaison. hope you're enjoying vietnam.

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Alright! Back in town!

So I took pictures of the throwout bearing that was sent with the clutch kit. Yeah, definitely not the right one for the corolla... I dunno what it's for though. Anyone?

Gonna wake up tomorrow and get my flywheel to the machine shop! Then hopefully I can get the clutch and tranny in before the day is over. I hope none of the bolts are missing.... :|
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

So, I was told from a fellow corolla friend that the F1 Racing Flywheels supposedly had bad balancing. So I just took it into the shop to get balanced and resurfaced...even though it's brand new. I figured it's better safe than sorry...i don't want to lose any limbs or die from an exploding flywheel. Turnaround time, they said, would be a week.

*sigh*

But on another note, I got my pilot bearing in and replaced the rear main seal. Woo!
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

ive heard bad things too but a buddy has a ae92 and we put one of the f1 stage three clutches in and have had no problems. i havn't noticed any vibration issues with engine rpm's either. the clutch has been in the car for over a year now and is holding the 7afte just nine at 9 psi on a t25 (160-180whp). however it does like to chatter if you dont dump it. its either in or out,if your slow on your pedal it will chatter.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

AznTKDmstr wrote:Alright! Back in town!

So I took pictures of the throwout bearing that was sent with the clutch kit. Yeah, definitely not the right one for the corolla... I dunno what it's for though. Anyone?

Gonna wake up tomorrow and get my flywheel to the machine shop! Then hopefully I can get the clutch and tranny in before the day is over. I hope none of the bolts are missing.... :|
for ff/rr setups. the factory throw out is a pressed on bearing on the factory collar that the T50 is originally equipped with. simply purchase the bearing at autozone/oreilly's and have the old one pressed off and the new one pressed on your original collar.

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Picked up the flywheel and my clutch throw out bearing from the machine shop. flywheel is balanced! time to finish this thing!

the little thing he drilled to balance it:

Sleeping now to wake up at 7/8 to work on the car before school starts
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Man...it is very difficult to put up a transmission by yourself... BUT what an experience!

So I woke up at 7am and started cracking at the flywheel and clutch. I got both of them in soon enough!

Then I started to prep the transmission to be raised up into it's little tunnel. I started cleaning it and wiped it down a bit. Then I started to grease the shaft and the bearing and release fork...when I saw something. So the push rod dimple in the fork, or whatever it's called, has this little metal piece. I noticed that it was broken. Look at the picture below... is this an issue?

Then I finally got the transmission up and bolted on. THANK GOODNESS FOR AIR TOOLS. I checked the time and realize it was NOON! And I have class at 1! So I went in and showered and went to class. Came back at 4pm and put my shifter in. Gave my car an oil change. And then VIOLA!!! Finished! I jumped the car and drove it about 50 feet to see if the clutch was doing well. And MAN, it is sooooo soft compared to the ACT clutch I had in it before. The clutch pedal won't make my left calf cramp anymore! haha.

Anyways....here it is:

Now all I need is registration, inspection, and insurance! And I'll be back on the road with this baby. Looks like I will be making the NST event in my corolla! :D
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

great job on that thaison! i had the same issue with my throw out bearing fork and replaced it with another i had laying around. for future you may be able to remove the old "stay" from the fork, fab up a replacement of the same material in thickness and rivet that back on. just a suggestion. looking forward to seeing everyone on the 31st!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

nice looking 86 man!! loving the blue!
JDM AE86/AE92

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Alright guys, so I need to pass inspection and as of right now I only have one turn signal on my front...

So I have my jdm turn signals, but don't know how to wire them :( I was just going to splice he usdm plug onto the jdm light. Or should I try to find he connectors from cig lighters to make a harness (without cutting an splicing wires)? Would they operate differently?
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

are they the kouki turn signals? if they are, i just tapped mine into the USDM headlight connectors. up and running quicker but that's me ;).

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

dr.occa wrote:are they the kouki turn signals? if they are, i just tapped mine into the USDM headlight connectors. up and running quicker but that's me ;).
do you know which wires I should connect to which? I know the kouki lamps have more wires than usdm...
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Nevermind, I found this on C4AG:

Car------------Kouki Bumper
white/blk------white/blk
green----------green AND green/yellow
green/yellow---red/yellow

I will cut and splice this tomorrow...

EDIT**

I need to go to the junk yard... my passenger turn signal lamp plug is not there, so I need to find a car to steal a plug from. hopefully they have a corolla lying around one of the junkyards in austin...
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback