Tourist

Franks Eight Six

Post by JDMfrank »

Here's how my car was when i last got pictures:

Since then i've sold the wheels and picked up a few parts including:

- 20v 4age
- Oem metal wind defelctors
- Cusco 6 point cage
- New wheels being sourced for me in Japan.

Ill keep this updated as i go about my 20v swap and whatever other parts i pick up along the way. All opinions welcome :)

joel26
VIP Member

Re: Franks Eight Six

Post by joel26 »

nice levin u got there.... good luck with ur build....

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea I really like that color with the dark tinted windows. I've been debating what color to paint my ride and I think I just found it. Good idea selling those wheels. They didn't really flow well IMO. Curious to see what you end up with next.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

Illinoisinc
Tourist

Post by Illinoisinc »

I love that color!!! and what is a 20V 4AGE??

is that just a 20v swap? or was the head swapped?

JDMfrank
Tourist

Post by JDMfrank »

Im going for the full 20v swap have the engine sitting beside the car in my garage now and I'm in the process of ordering the rest of the parts, Also considering rebuilding the 20v and maybe doing some upgrading while its out of the car.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Thats a good time to do it. I wanted to check a few things while mine was out and ended up rebuilding the block. It wasn't in as great of condition as we thought. You may want to pull it apart and at least check everything, rod/crank bearings specifically, then decide if it needs the rebuild. New rings are usually a good idea. How's the compression on that block?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

JDMfrank
Tourist

Post by JDMfrank »

Haven't actually done a compression test on it yet, Bought from a friend i had previoulsy drive the ae111 before the engine was removed and it theirs any trouble he has no problem taking it back.

Ye i think while it's sitting out anyway and im in no rush i might aswell take it apart and freshen it up before it goes in, Plan is to respray the engine bay too.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

When I put my 7age together, I had previously rant he 7afe for about 10k miles. I thought it was golden, but once I opened it up my bearings were pretty shot and I actually had a bent rod. The engine only had 100k miles on it, and the inside looked nice and clean. Looks can be deceiving. But then again, I have spent way too much on my engine so far.

I threw a coat of black paint on my bay too. Great idea! People said Rustoleum would do the trick, but it flakes off too damn easily. I'm not sure what the best paint to use for a cheap garage paint job would be. If you figure it out lmk. There's a link to my build thread in my sig if you want to see pics.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

JDMfrank
Tourist

Post by JDMfrank »

Hopefully it's all ok once its taken apart, Ill start praying haha

A Friend of mine is a qualified painter so id be getting the bay professionally done in the same silver as the outside of the car, It's currently a dark grey.

Cool ill get a look.