7AGTE drift hatch

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

Re: 7AGTE drift hatch

Post by yellowsnow4free »

cdixon311 wrote:But is it worth the money to build a 4ac/7ac? Isn't that motor putting out 70hp?
Well, it did put out 70 HP, when it was new; idk about now... :P

I've thought about motor swaps a lot actually, and honestly, it isn't worth the money to build a 4AC / 7AC; if you want more power you need to start with a better base engine. Here in CA, if you want the most powerful and smog legal swap, you should probably swap in a 1UZ. But that requires a bit of $ to pull off as well.

But assuming any engine that goes in the car will be rebuilt anyway (unless it's super new to start with), that part of the swap cost is negligible.

I guess in my mind, sticking with the 4AC head is easiest in terms of swapping and smog and stuff, and the 7AFE bottom end just adds a little more "fun" into what would otherwise be a stock rebuild.

If it were smog legal here in CA, I would seriously consider swapping to a 3TC. A older and heavier motor, sure, but a pretty easy swap with less parts to gather than a 4AG.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

I spent about 1500 rebuilding and swapping my 7age, but I started out with only the 7afe block. Friends gave me a lot of the 4a parts I needed, and I rebuilt the block too. It was also bored over and machined flat. I suspect that you could do a 4age swap for around that same price, maybe less. You need the full engine, with everything on it, plus wiring harness and ecu. After that, I think you only need to upgrade the fuel line and you're all set. My car originally had a 4ac in it as well. Oh, probably need new exhaust for the car too.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

Post by yellowsnow4free »

cdixon311 wrote:I spent about 1500 rebuilding and swapping my 7age, but I started out with only the 7afe block. Friends gave me a lot of the 4a parts I needed, and I rebuilt the block too. It was also bored over and machined flat. I suspect that you could do a 4age swap for around that same price, maybe less. You need the full engine, with everything on it, plus wiring harness and ecu. After that, I think you only need to upgrade the fuel line and you're all set. My car originally had a 4ac in it as well. Oh, probably need new exhaust for the car too.
Yeah, it's certainly doable. I'd be more open to it if I didn't have to get it inspected by a smog ref though (I really just despise anything with smog here in CA).

My 4AC currently has 140k on it, so hopefully I've got a few more years of use before it needs a rebuild.

Once I get closer to rebuild time, I'll have to crunch the numbers and see what makes the most sense :)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Here's a shot of my block, it appears to have the same notch you had to file down, however, mine bolted up fine as seen below. Even if I did shave it down only 2 of the 3 holes would be able to line up. Think it will be alright?

With pump bolted on, top hole doesn't line up but other two will.

RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

hmm, idk. I'd be worried about it leaking like that. Those three bolts hold it tight to make the water seal. Did you replace that gasket btw? Such a pita to get it on there. Is that the water pump from a 4age?

All three of my bolts lined up. Try pulling it all loose, and work on getting the third hole lined up. Maybe try removing all bolts and lining up only that top bolt. You may need to grind it down after all.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Also, a little tip. You have to run a bit of hose and 2 clamps for that top pipe coming out of the pump. It's a bit easier to install while everythings loose. Try to cut the rubber tube at the perfect length, or maybe a hair longer. I cut my pipe in half, shoved top half into the upper. Then you put the hose between it and clamp them down.

These aren't my pics

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I don't have those rubber hoses, I just have one that I loop around to itself. I'm trying to figure out how to remove it all together currently. The new O-Ring sat in there perfectly while mounting up.

I don't see how the 3rd hole will line up if the other two are dead on. I tried to wiggle it but it wouldn't line up, yes it's a 4AGE pump.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea, you have to add the rubber hose cuz the pipe doesn't line up anymore. I can see the full pipe sticking out the top of your water pump so I thought I'd mention it. You'll see what I mean when you get to it I guess. Not sure what to say about the third bolt. Maybe try bolting only that one, then see if you can get the others to line up. I'd be worried it would leak without all three.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Just found what you were talking about just now when finishing up the engine, now i'm trying to figure out how to make it look cleaner.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

That's cool. Did you get the 3 bolts to line up?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah I finally got them without having to grind down that hole, thank the jeebus. I think I have a cleaner clamp solution. I'll post pics once I get the parts in hand.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Was that little corner causing the problem for you?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah, it was really tight but I didn't have to force the bolt. Just had to press the pump up and to the right as hard as I could with my hand and it started threading.

Here's some clamps I grabbed from work to help clean up that water hose I have to install. I think this will help hide the ugliness of the house and keep it really clean looking down there.

So much interesting shit keeps turning up at work that I can use for this project. Now I'm trying to find out if we have any big enough to fit the rad hoses.

Another question, will the stock radiator be adequate cooling until I can save enough to get an upgrade?

Also, I've decided to make my own clamp/holder for the coil and a cover for the injector resistor as well as a custom fuse box for under the hood. I'll try to post some pics after I get them worked on.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

c4ptiv3 wrote:
So much interesting shit keeps turning up at work that I can use for this project.
Don't you mean 'turning up missing' hahaa

That should look nice though, but they look kinda big. I worry they might not fit right. There's not much room. Luckily, you really don't see it unless you're looking for it. I really can't comment on the radiator yet since I'm not driving around, but I don't think it will be enough to handle a hot texas day with lots of hard driving. I know my temp climbed up kinda high when I was revving the engine while parked, but I haven't wired in the relays for my fan yet either. I suspect that it's really not going to be enough cooling especially if the fan isn't running yet. Theres really only one way to find out for sure though :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Haha, I would say turn up missing but this is stuff they've written off long ago.

Yeah I'm hoping they fit, I'll try to get some hose and get it buttoned up tomorrow. I think they will fit, the inner diameter is just barely bigger than the pipe when completely clamped down.

Well I don't plan on doing much driving during the day with out AC, but in the evening/dusk/night I hope it'll be okay. I guess we will see how things go.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST