A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Got the cams degree'd saturday night thanks to the Amish Mr. Dixon. I don't have any pictures yet because I was severely hung over Sunday but I will attempt to get some this week.

Saturday I will driving to the East side of Dallas to a speed shop that builds custom lines. I'm hoping to replace the line coming off the fuel tank and the clutch line (because I want one end that spins freely). I should also have some cooling line solutions in this week as well.

I'll then just be waiting on a clutch to put the engine back into the car.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Finally got the fuel sending unit sandblasted and POR15 coated, as well as the internals cleaned and ohm'd out to ensure my fuel gauge will work properly. Also had the fuel pump bracket blasted and coated as well, they turned out really nice. I even ordered new screws and gaskets from Toyota to put it all back together with.

I went by a local automotive hose shop and had a line fab'd up that comes off the tank as well as a new clutch line that goes from the firewall to the slave cylinder. I was tired of one end not spinning freely and it always put it in a bind and caused it to leak, I no longer have to worry about that and they look pretty sweet.

I had to purchase a hand me down fuel rail last spring sometime and it was in pretty bad shape. I had tried sanding it to get all the knicks and gouges out of it but it just wasn't enough, so I had it sandblasted and coated. You can still see some damage on it but it's not as bad as it was before, I'll just keep looking for another rail in the meantime.

Lastly, the waterpipe looked like doodoo after just a few miles in silver, so I had it blasted and painted black, it looks pretty sweet. It looks foggy in the pictures because I forgot to wipe the fingerprints off with a towel. It looks very sexy in person.

Coming up I have to order a clutch, I went to order it a few days ago but they could not confirm the diameter and the manufacturer didn't have it on their site. I have to wait until the new year to confirm it's a 200mm and not the bigger variant. I also picked up some weatherpak connectors to change out the fuel pump plug, it looked melted and sketchy.

After the clutch it's time to assemble, just gotta get it ordered and things will start moving quickly again. Stay tuned!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Alright, I got the clutch ordered today and it should be here by this weekend. I'm also going to try to put the tank back in this weekend.

Got the fuel pump installed on the housing, however, the rubber they sent to secure it at the bottom did not work. I'm assuming it's for a different model Toyota since the pump was tied to several other models, I need to find the previous piece to ensure it doesn't move around during it's lifetime.

I also ended up ordering a Delphi crimping tool and pin extractor since I had to modify the pins so much each time with mu current crimper, and there was always a chance I'd ruin a few. Here's a shot of the old plug and the new weatherpak plug installed. I'll have to do the otherside once I get the pump/tank installed. I want to ensure I didn't lose any length on the wires by cutting them.

More updates coming soon.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

A few days ago I was finally able to get the new fuel pump and sending unit installed into the tank as well as the tank installed itself. We had some issues getting the straps to bolt in and we couldn't figure out why, turns out we are idiots and the cover went on the inside of the straps and not the outside. This is what happens when you go months between disassembly and reassembly.

I went ahead and picked up a degree wheel to mark the new TDC mark and the new 10 BTDC mark on the crank pulley cover, both were off by 2-4 degrees. This should make things easier when it comes time to set ignition timing. I also went ahead and soldered new pigtails onto the injectors so I could run cleaner tucked wires. Before I had left the wires a bit too short and just made due, it looked like poop and it should now hold me over until I re-create the harness again with exact measurements. The plan is to run the OEM injectors until break in and then swap over to the new 2nd gen 440cc Supra injectors right before a new tune. This way I will be able to drive it around and save up for the tune.

Lastly, since I have no wifi in my garage I was unable to lookup how the ITB throttle cable assembly bolted on. I spent a good 2 hours trying to figure out how it bolted one when it hit me to look underneath. I felt extremely dumb that I didn't think of this sooner, but I really didn't want to walk back to my apartment and look it up. However, the engine is finally completed and ready to drop in. I have located a cherry picker and I hope to put it in this week or weekend. Afterwards I just need to solder up a handful of wires, heat shrink them and then I can attempt to start it.

I'm really looking forward to this and hope I don't hit any snags along the way. I'll post more updates as they come, stay tuned!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

I have not been on here in quite a while, life has been getting in the way of cars. You have done some really nice work in my absence! I am definitely looking forward to hearing/seeing this thing pur!

What shop did you have make those high pressure lines for you? I am extremely interested in doing the same thing.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

milchmann wrote:I have not been on here in quite a while, life has been getting in the way of cars. You have done some really nice work in my absence! I am definitely looking forward to hearing/seeing this thing pur!

What shop did you have make those high pressure lines for you? I am extremely interested in doing the same thing.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. It will hopefully be at many a meets this spring and summer.

The name of the shop is Able Auto and Truck parts, here is the link for google maps https://goo.gl/maps/hPXZrSvNZbM2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I may have to take the clutch line back and get it lengthened by a few inches, since the last inch or so is solid I'm not sure if it's going to bend enough to screw in. It's a minor setback though.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Woke up early Saturday to install the engine, should have taken no more than an hour but the idiots at AutoZone gave me the incorrect pilot bearing and spark plugs.... Luckily I was able to source a pilot bearing from NAPA, but I had to wait 3 hours for it to arrive, this primarily sucked because we had already removed the engine from the stand and had installed the flywheel. I didn't want to take all that stuff off to put it back on the stand so we just sat outside waiting for them to call me.

Afterwards the engine went right in with almost no problems. However, what I thought was going to be an elegant solution to the waterline situation turned out to be a bummer. I didn't realize how close the rear water pipe coming off the engine is to the heater core. I think I have a solution that will get me through for now but it's not going to look pretty, I will post some pictures of it all once I find out if it will work or not.

I also have something unique and expensive planned for the Vacuum setup for the ITBs and the the catch can for the valve cover. I'll post some pictures once it is plumbed up.

I'm thinking a few more weeks and I should be able to start it, I just need to re-locate a few plugs due to the ITB setup and run the injector pigtails nice and neat. Should have some more updates next weekend, stay tuned!

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

It was a beautiful day outside today so I decided to knock out some of the remaining work, I thought I would get a lot more done, but the soldering took nearly 4 hours due to having to remove all the old heatshrink and get all the lengths correctly. I will post the mock up photo and the complete photo but I didn't realize that the after photo was blurry or that the wires need to be re-zip tied for a straighter look. The zip ties will continue until moral improves.

For the first time in 10 years I have a secured fuel filter, before my bracket was in very rough shape and it was basically just floating in the air. I also had issues getting the incoming fuel line to line up, I'm assuming the prevous owner had stretched out the line to get it attached or something because I had to bend the hell out of it to get it to line up. I'm going to have to do something about this because it looks all fubar'd down there now. I also apologize for the blurry picture, I guess it was getting too dark to focus.

Lastly, I need to find a 90 degree version of this nipple, I forgot to take a picture with the vacuum line removed but if you guys/gals know anywhere to source 90 degree nipples please point me in the right direction because my google fu is failing me. It's hitting the hood and just look like poop in general, I don't like it.

I hope to get more done soon, still have a lot more soldering to go as well as vacuum block and hoses. I'll post more next weekend, stay tuned!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

is that nipple just threaded in?

something like this work? Depending on if they have the right thread?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp- ... Akoc8P8HAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah, it's threaded I just need to find out what the thread pitch is. It's either 1/8 or 1/4 NPT and of course the manual doesn't say.

I'm also worried about the elbow ending up facing the complete opposite direction once installed.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Found the sizes and of course I can't find a single correctly sized elbow, which makes absolutely no sense to me, I know someone makes that shit. They just have to.

1/8NPT to 5/32 hose ID. I can't even find a reducer from the one you linked to my size.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnt-30307/overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1/8 NPT to 4mm (5/32" = 3.9mm) close enough?

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

You might try a 90 degree barb as well, and just use hose on either side of it.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I thought of that Milchmann but was afraid it won't look as clean.

I ended up ordering this and if it doesn't work I'll go with the one linked above. I just didn't like the idea of brass colored, I really wanted black or silver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

and I just realized it says 5/32 OD. I'm not sure if my vacuum line is OD or ID, it just had 5/32 printed on it without any other info. I guess we will find out.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST