A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah, I actually found that on Club4ag when trying to figure out how to wire up the injectors, sadly I do not have that many ports on my PNP.

Just got done measuring for all the wire in the bay. I used rope and ran the wire how I'd want it all ran on wire at a time. I would then add 2 extra inches for error and write what each wire went to. Now the issue is figuring out how to get the wire to stay "tucked" in place.

I also placed an order with McKenney for two new water temp sensors.

Here is the current "To do/to buy" list.

Corolla buy list

MSD Blaster 2 Coil and Bracket (New igniter as well?)
Radiator
Water line clamps
Heater core gromets
Heat shrink (soldering)
Tps connector
Battery terminals
Grounding cables
New radiator hoses
New battery

Rolla Work List

Build New Engine Harness
Install Wideband
New Fuel Lines (SS)
IAT sensor welded on
Oil pressure gauge installed
Install radiator and wiring

I'll keep the updates coming.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

On the fuel lines, are you going to run all new hard lines from tank to engine bay or braided ss lines?

May I recommend spending a little more and getting the vibration/epoxy filled version of the MSD Blaster Coil 2? That way if you wanted to even mount it upside down you can sleep easily at night. The regular ones are just oil filled and if any of the contacts are not submersed in the oil (meant to keep things cool) you'll have mysterious no start/run issues you'll be chasing down because you'll never suspect a practically new coil going bunky.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

dr.occa wrote:On the fuel lines, are you going to run all new hard lines from tank to engine bay or braided ss lines?

May I recommend spending a little more and getting the vibration/epoxy filled version of the MSD Blaster Coil 2? That way if you wanted to even mount it upside down you can sleep easily at night. The regular ones are just oil filled and if any of the contacts are not submersed in the oil (meant to keep things cool) you'll have mysterious no start/run issues you'll be chasing down because you'll never suspect a practically new coil going bunky.

Eventually I will go all the way from the tank up to the engine with new lines but for now I will just be running from the firewall up to the engine/filter/FPR etc.

That was actually something I was trying to find a clear answer on. I want to buy a new MSD coil but I am not sure which one is the one I need. Mine looks like it was dropped down the stairwell of the empire state building. Also, I haven't checked yet but can you order a new ignitor as well? I'd like to replace anything I can with new stuff to keep any issues from springing up in the future.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The only ignitors/ICMs you can get new would be aftermarket. They appear to be readily available on rockauto.com but you're looking at $200+

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah, F all that noise. I'd rather just pay for aftermarket at that point. I guess I'll keep rocking the old ones for now.

Pulled the old engine harness out and cut off all the connectors I needed. I will, however, have to cut the firewall connector off my current harness since my old one didn't have a connector and was spliced together. Upon closer inspection of the pinouts I'm unsure how the car even ran with this other harness. No. 10 injector ECU pinout is completely missing, lol.

I got a few of the pins out with a extraction tool from work, but it was the wrong one and ended up breaking it. I did a bunch of searching online and couldn't find shit about what exact pin extractor you needed for a Toyota. I was able to find a nice kit on Amazon, if anyone needs on in the future, here's the link and it's a nice set and MUCH cheaper than what Snap-On offers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KH3 ... ge_o00_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Going to start soldering tomorrow when I have better light to see with. Hype train is at full speed.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

I could've have used this 100 times already. Huh I was unaware there was a specific tool for this. I'm letting Santa know about this right away.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Haha, yeah. I've been searching for those for the better part of a decade. I figured someone else might want the information.

Got a lot done today. Got the wires measured out, cut and labeled.

I then tried to take them out to the car and route them to get exact measurements, but the blue painter's tape I have just isn't strong enough. I ended up coming back to the house and soldering all the wires that were straight shots to the ECU plugs.

I'm going to have to go pick up some regular painter's tape and then I'm going to have to think on how to best approach some of these splices before I can continue. That being said I'm about 90% done with the soldering of the harness, should be no problem getting it completed next weekend.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

its looking good...................

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man.

I finished up soldering the second to last plug yesterday. It took me 5-6 hours to do just a few wires because I kept getting paranoid and double checking everything. Mainly because these wires had several other wires spliced into them. I then kept forgetting to put heat shrink on the wire before soldering, it was frustrating and I wanted to blow my brains out.

I have the C* plug left to solder which has several grounds looping over to a few wires on one of the ECU plugs. These are also the grounds that go up to the intake manifold. What I'm wondering is if it's okay to solder them all to one wire and run it up to the manifold or if I need 4-5 like the factory did. I'm assuming the factory did it that way because it was easier to splice one at a time, but I'm nervous.

I'll wait til everything is done before I post pictures, I'm sure no one gives a shit about random shots of wires.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Best rule of thumb is to group common grounds by common power. If the power wires are spliced together then you can splice the grounds together. The best quick explanation I can come up with is the terrible overused water pressure bit. If you have a bunch of pipes feeding into one you are going to have excess pressure and poor flow.

Does that work for you, or do you want the full on technical explanation and calculations?

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

That does help, however, I have stumbled upon a new wiring issue.

It shows that E2 ties into the engine harness somehow, but it is the plug that goes to the ECU that is separate from the engine harness. I'm assuming it connects somewhere else inside the car but I want to confirm before I solder these last few wires together. I tried tracing back both my harnesses and there is no way they went to that plug. Should have a friend locally to help me push it out tomorrow so I can trace down this harness.

I finally picked up a MSD coil and yes I did get the High Vibration model that Dr. Occa recommended.

I also tried to pick up Tedd's shitter ebay rad but he is too uppity to sell it to me, haha JK! I think he's about to swing over and bring it to me. I may have some more updates once he arrives.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Tedd showed up to help me push the car out and trace the wires on that damn E2 plug and just as I suspected they do connect behind the PCB junctions. I also purchased his Rad (I'll get pictures later).

FINALLY, I have finished the harness! I have to do a test fit and cut down the excess to get exact measurments, add heat shrink, and the pins and connectors. This is by far one of my greatest accomplishments in the build, I feel like I could jump over a building. Thanks to all who helped and were patient with my endless questions.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Went and exchanged a few fuel line fittings for the correct sizes, I also picked up a few extra feet of Stainless Steel lines. Unfortunately, they did not have the correct sizing for the fuel filter and fuel rail. I will have to try and locate them online.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It's coming along man :tu:. Right on with that coil. Mount it upside down just because you can and never worry xaxa!

Wiring is always a great hurdle to get over. Almost everything else will just seem like grunt work when you conquer wiring ;).

Merry Christmas btw!

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

lol, you ain't kidding Dr., Merry Christmas to you as well!

We spent the weekend routing the wire and getting the exact measurements, we then pulled it back out and now I am about to apply the heatshrink, solder/crimp the new connectors and take some pictures. I'll post some up when it's complete.

I also used tan painter's tape to hold stuff in place during the routing and got extremely pissed off/sick to my stomach when it ripped the paint off the intake manifold when I removed it. I hope I can just touch it up and you can't tell but it looks pretty bad right now. I'll try to get a shot of it later.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST