A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

suprastarr
Tourist

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by suprastarr »

Yeah id take it back if the paint job was that bad...
Live,Love,Drive..

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I wish I could but now I have no way to get it back to the shop and to be honest I'd rather not have him f-bomb anything else up on it. I'll take some pics shortly and post them up.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Wed the tail lights came in from Ireland, pretty stoked to see them on the car but I think I'm going to wait until it's back on the road first.

I called every single junkyard in the DFW area, no I'm not exaggerating, it was close to 100 junkyards before I found a 7AFE block. We left to pick it up Wed and they were not ready to pull it out for me so I returned on Sat to pick it up. Upon getting it home I started disassembling it and when I removed the bracket we noticed this, lol. Only 2 more hours of driving to take it back and grab another, go me!

Since we had nothing else to do I decided to tear the engine apart on the Rolla and see if there was any water/oil in the cylinders or any other damage we could see. Upon tearing it apart I found why the car was leaking water everywhere. That's the back of the water pump assembly, I guess I need to locate a complete new one from someone. If you have one laying around please PM me so I can get it en-route asap.

It also looking like there was some oil/water leaking in a few spots of the head gasket, otherwise I couldn't discern anything wrong with the head, head gasket or the block/pistons. The rotating assembly also turned freely with no issues so I'm hoping a new head gasket and a water pump will clear things up and get me back on the road for now. It also looked like the cams were unaffected by any oil starvation so I wonder if it was an issue at all. Is there anything else I should look for before spending money and time on putting the 4AGE back together?

As we were working on the car today a huge gust of wind blew in, picked up the bumper and flung it across the parking lot. I almost yak'd when I saw the damage.

Also, here is a pic of the paint on the front passengers fender near where the hood meets the fender. I tried to get more pictures but my garage is not to well lit and you couldn't see the issues. Looks almost like it was taped too far in on the fender.

I'm also currently looking for the following if anyone has anyting laying around.

1x Intake manifold bolt
1x Fuel rail bolt
1x RWD water line as shown in picture above
1x BT ITB setup (Still on the fence about this but looking for now)

I think that's it, hope to have some good progress updates soon.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

nice sprinter tail lights man... have u ever tried the salvage yards in grand prairie near west jefferson i think. well its near oak cliff sometimes they have good stuff

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Yeah man I called all of them, was about to give up because everything else was way way way out of the DFW area. For one of the highest selling cars in the US it just boggles my mind none are around.

Talked to the paint shop and they agreed to re-spray it for free. They also stated they had the same issue with another car that was sprayed around the same time as mine, they believe it was something to do with the base coat reacting with the paint. Now I hope to get it running this weekend so I can take it back and get it fixed.

Going to pick up a new 7AFE block Sat in Ft. Worth and working on putting the 86 back together afterwards, I'll have some updates then.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

You can buy a new jdm water pump and the pipe section on the back from toyota for a decent price. I think it was around $100, maybe less. I might have a brand new water pump (just the front portion) sitting on a shelf somewhere. If you really need it lmk and I'll see if I can find where i put it.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Okay, so all the following parts have arrived as of today.

New OEM high comp pistons (Still unsure of my CR, Hoping for 10.1:1 but I'm unsure how to calculate this)
Used 7AFE block (Still needs to be disassembled and taken to machine shop)
MRP Ltd 7AFE (800hp rated) Conrods
MRP 7AGE timing belt kit with special crank sprocket
ARP rod bolts and bearings (They forgot thrust bearings so I will be waiting on those)
ARP head studs and main bolts
Seal kit
TRD head gasket
Tweak'd Performance engine harness clips (no more crappy plugs!)
Used water line kit (Thanks to whomever sent me this on the forums!)
New Aisin oil pump
New injector O Ring kit
New plugs
T3 TVIS delete

Here's a list of things I'm needing or unsure of what to use, mainly due to the massive amounts of misinformation out there about the 7AGE requirements.

Rebuilt big port head (Looking at rebuild kits show the price to be astronomical, daveskatesallday has one but I'm trying to get in touch with him to hammer down a price)
Flywheel ? (4AGE or 7AFE car?)
Clutch ? (4AGE or 7AFE, see above)
Motor mounts (Been using the same ones for the last 3 rebuilds, think it's time to step up to some non OEM replacements).
Oil Pan (Which pan oil pick up and windage tray, 7AFE or 4AGE?)

That's all I can think of for now aside from timing questions but I will inquire with MRP about that part once I get closer. The only other thing I'm worried about is if it's possible to stab the tranny while it is installed in the car? I've never done it this way and I'm wondering how big of a pain in the ass it actually is.

Here's a pic of the rods from MRP.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Decided to take advantage of this beautiful day to get the 7AFE block tore down and ready for the machine shop. Everything was going well today, I was even able to get the crank timing belt sprocket off without bending or breaking it. Then the oil pan threw me a curve ball.

This specific bock seems to have a sectional oil pan, a lower and an upper if you will. The lower had 8-12 10mm bolts holding it on, underneath it was the oil pick up unit and 3-4 more 10mm bolts attached to the upper oil pan. On the upper part of the oil pan there were 15-20 5mm Allen head bolts and 4-6 10mm bolts.
Now in between of the lip of the lower pan and the upper pan there are two bolts than I cannot budge, the spacing is so tight I can't fit a socket in there and the L shaped shitty keys I have just won't give me enough torque to get them out. These are the two asshole bolts in question.

As you can tell the block is frickin nasty, since I'm working out of an apartment garage and have no access to a water hose I'm hoping to just have the machine shop dip it, hopefully they will accept it, lol.
I'm also concerned with this being the correct block since the previous one had a completely different oil pan on it. I wish I still had that one because those bolts can suck my nuts.

Here is a shot of inside the lower oil pan, you can see a the thread of a mysterious bolt that I can't find on the outside of the block, I think it might be underneath the housing of the oil pump.

Here's just a random shot of the top of the block, this is all I got for now until I figure out how to get those bolts out and find a rebuilt head. Hopefully I'll be posting more soon.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Block has been fully disassembled and taken to the machine shop, where I have discovered the cylinders need to be bored out. I have just exchanged the STD high comp pistons/rings for .5mm oversized pistons and rings.

Ordered new oil pan bolts, fuel rail bolts and intake manifold bolts from Toyota.

I should have better updates in the coming weeks when everything arrives.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Picked up and assembled the block last weekend, got everything installed and realized my seal kit didn't have a main seal, oil pump seal or oil pump gasket. I also discovered I had put the thrust bearings in backwards so I have to take the crank back out and fix the issue tomorrow before finishing up the bottom end.

I dropped the head off with the HKS valve springs and new seals at the machine shop last week, I am having the head polished, all the new valve train installed and getting a valve job. Hopefully it will be done this week and I can get the rest of the engine together.

I also picked up a parts cleaner and I've been going through all the parts, bolts, etc. and cleaning them up before re-installing them. The engine should look really nice once it's all done.

Today I went down and taped off the block and lower oil pan, sanded them down and sprayed them with high heat crinkle black paint. Here are a few before an after pictures, I'll post more tomorrow once the block is all assembled.

Block before paint.

Block after paint.

Lower oil pan before paint.

Lower oil pan after paint.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Got the bottom end completely assembled today, now I'm just waiting for the RTV to dry and the head to come back from the shop. I hope to have some more updates this week if I get the head back.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

Lookin' good man. My build progress is the other way around. I've got my head completed and waiting on my block.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Hey man, it could be worse! Do you have a target on when to get it completed?

Got the head, intake and cams back from the machine shop(s) today.

Here's the intake, it got the runners polished up as far back as they could reach.

And then it got painted!

Here's a picture of the head, got new HKS springs installed and an exhaust/intake polish as well as .008 taken off to make a good seal. You can't see much, sorry.

Cams cam back looking phenomenal, I don't have any before pics but they were scarred up pretty badly on the man bearings but now they are like a mirror.

Here's the water line's from the head, I've taken all the sensors off of them and I'm currently cleaning them up. I'm unsure if I'm going to paint them or not.

Noticed that this seal has seen some abuse but I'm unsure what it is called, I'll start looking around and see what I can find out so I can replace it. It looks pretty rough around that area so I'm for sure going to sand it down and get the surface rust off.

That's all I got for today, but I should have more updates tomorrow. The plan is to mount the head and block and maybe a few other things.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

I'd like to get it running by summer or before but the machine shop is putting my project on the back of priority and I am losing my patience. Finished or not I'm picking it up Saturday.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Well I hope everything works out for ya!

Been feeling sick so updates are slow, I've got to send off my injectors to get flow tested and refurbished and pick up my fuel rail bolts then things should start flowing again.

Got the head bolted on then realized I needed to shave down one of the studs so that the distributor would fit, I saw some guys just shaved their distributor a bit. I think I might try that instead.

Also got the cams in but I need to pick up a micrometer to get the clearances correct. hopefully next weekend I can get some real stuff accomplished.

More updates coming soon.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST