A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Here's a rough drawing/diagram of the issue. The engine harness I had before was soldered to the dash harness, I ended up getting a new engine harness and Rue cut the plug off one of his existing dash harnesses so I could plug them up. The issue is the wires on the dash harness have 3-4 more wires than the cut off piece Rue gave me AND the colors don't match. We soldered them up using educated guesses but now my tach goes to zero when you hit the brakes and none of my running lights, brake lights or blinkers work.

I want to re-solder the wires correctly but wiring schematics give me a headache.

RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Well after a 3 month work traveling hiatus I went out and worked on the 86 today...

I tore apart the wiring harness and got all the lights working and the tach issue fixed when I pressed on the brakes! I'm still getting a check engine light but I think it's because of the IACV blockoff plate I installed, I will have to check codes this coming weekend or tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can pass inspect and drive it which is pretty exciting. Now can anyone tell me if the wing lights blink like the blinkers or are they just running lights? It's been so long since I drove it I don't remember and I'm hoping the blink so I can use them to pass inspection.

I have however found a new little issue that is a bit mind boggling. When I press the brakes without the running lights on all the brakes lights light up except for the inside light on the driver's side. Now, if I have the running lights/headlights on the light works just fine. Any ideas?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Call me when you get a second. Ran into this before but easier to explain over the phone.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

As of last night I ordered a new set of wheels that should help my front end issue, they should be here next week or the week after. Finished wiring up the dash harness today after double checking my CEL codes, just wanted to make sure nothing was related to that section before I taped it all up. I'm getting two CEL codes, 6 and 7. I will have to do some research and see what these mean, but from what I can tell they are TPS and Dizzy related.

McKenney, the brakes lights are now mysteriously working. I will however still call you when I'm down at the shop next time and double check on everything. I also tried to straight my studs up on the hubs but they are still crooked as shit, I'm just going to have to get an electric impact and see if I can't finish them off for good.

That's all I got for this week. I am supposed to go pick up a door handle from Rue today or tomorrow, I really can't wait to drive this thing.

EDIT: Wheel company that had wheels in stock wanted me to text a picture of my drivers license and CC to them. Sketch f-bombing city, now I have to find wheels elsewhere, in stock, that don't take 2 months to get here. Anyone have some good ones in Texas that might have some Varrstoen V1's in stock?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ok, after doing some research it looks like my TPS and my Dizzy are bad. Can you still purchase OEM distributors, and does anyone have a spare working TPS?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

86boy

Post by 86boy »

have you tried to re-adjust the TPS? could be just out of adjustment.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

86boy wrote:have you tried to re-adjust the TPS? could be just out of adjustment.
I was actually watching the how-to video on doing it correctly since I can't find the proper section in my Haynes manual.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Got some Bronze Varrstoen V1's on their way. Really shooting for inspection, alignment and insurance next week.

EDIT: I will also have my white Diamonds up for sale after I get the Varrstoen's on the car. 15x10 -0 if anyone is interested. Also looking for a 16v dizzy, don't need the cap and rotor just the base.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Adjusted the TPS today and I am no longer getting code 7, however, I am still getting code 6. I found a broke connector coming off the dizzy so I figured this was the issue so I fixed it up but I'm still getting the error. I looked into the diagnostic manual and it showed me 3 wires to test coming out of the dizzy but both of my connectors only show 2 connectors so I'm at a loss.

I straightened out the lug studs on the car using a washer and a shitty Autozone lug nut, A few of them still look crooked but I'm not sure if it's just a optical illusion. I went ahead and dropped the front an inch in preparation for the wheels arriving on Monday, I didn't lower the rear yet due to the change in stretch/height in the rear. Gave myself one hell of a blood blister in the process.

I installed all the locks and door handles back on to the car aside form the driver's side since I left it at home. I guess it will give me something to do tomorrow. Mad props to Rue for giving me a donor driver's side handle until I get some new ones from TORparts. I also got in my new tail light bezel from cmorgan today, thanks man!

I'm still on the look out for a dizzy and I also need some help on wiring up my wing lights to blink so I can pass inspection on Monday. I found a really crappy guide on club4ag but it wasn't clear enough for me to understand. If anyone can post a better guide for me on here it would be most appreciated or if you have some free time this weekend and want to swing by and help me out just let me know and I'll buy you dinner and beer.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ok, everything is now done except for the front blinkers, I tried to do some splicing but I couldn't seem to get it to work right so I'm just going to take it to a shop and try to get this bash bar modified so the bumper lights will fit.

I tried adjusting the cams a bit to see if I could get it to run a little better, I went both +4 degrees and -4 degrees and it didn't seem to run very well either way so I put it back to 0 degrees. The reason I tried to adjust it was when I was setting it to TDC the exchaust cam had to be physically held in place since one of the lobes was trying to open a valve. I also installed new wiper blades, the remaining door handle, side mirrors and ECU kick panel plastics as well as the rear plastics.

I got the center garnish installed and it looks really good, I just need to get some new tails to match. You can also get a good look at the shaved rear plate lights, I have some ideas on an LED light system for the plate lights. I just haven't really looked into it yet but I don't think it will be an issue.

I finally found some H4 bulbs that weren't 80 dollars for a set, this gave me a chance to install the Raybrig housings, they look freaking awesome.

I installed the passenger side eyelid and then got over to the driver's side and noticed they gave me two right's instead of one for each side! This really sucks since I got them from a vendor in Australia. I'm currently looking for another in mint condition, so if anyone has some leads please send them my way. I would really like to trade one of my passenger side lids for a mint driver's side but I will buy if I have to.

I lowered the front coils 1in and the rears 1/2in. The front look about perfect but the rears are a different matter. Going by BC Racing's spring pre-load procedure the rears are now maxed out on how low they can go, you simply cannot screw them down any further and it looks funny to me.

I'm really going to miss this front fitment, too bad I can't turn the wheels, lol.

Here's a few pics of it looking extremely menacing in the garage with the bumper just hanging on.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

car looks good.... looks like u are making good progress.....

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man, I really hope I get to drive it this week.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

definitely love how it's comming along :various3:
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Wheels showed up today around 3pm, took them over to NTB and for some reason it took them 3 hours to switch the tires over from the Diamonds to the Varrstoens. So by the time they were ready the place that had the hub rings I needed were closed. I will have to get up early in the morning and see how things go. I'll post a better update then.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

As of yesterday the car is now registered, inspected and insured. I spent most of the day trying to get the bumper/flares to work properly after getting my new wheels in. Thought I had everything sorted and low and behold the bumper lights are not plug and play lol. Gave McKenney a call and told me I had the answer right under my nose. The Project Car issue I bought and never looked at showed me how to hook up the bumper lights to get them to work. On the way to get it inspected I broke the bumper and a flare but was able to finagle it to make the Tuesday night meet @ LA Burger. I had a great time and finally got to meet some members from the forums as well as a few other car enthusiasts. Here's how she sit's now.

Now on to some new problems. Car has almost no power currently, 86boy was kind enough to bust out his timing light last night at the meet and we discovered timing was WAAYYYY off. I woke up early today to go ahead and try to get a jump on the timing issue. After checking crank timing, distributor timing and cam timing everything shows correct. I've been racking my brain all day trying to figure out why it would show out of time. I ended up looking into the cam gears since they were prototypes and it does looks like the TDC mark is indeed off by a tooth, atleast I think. In the picture below it looks like the TDC mark on the NST cams are set to the lower dot instead of the upper dot which is incorrect (I believe that's correct). I've advanced the timing a tooth on the gears and it runs better but it still bogs like crazy. Hopefully 86boy will be able to help me get it straightened out tonight.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST