I thought I'd share a few of my own progress.

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Latino Hibino
Tourist

I thought I'd share a few of my own progress.

Post by Latino Hibino »

Not much to be seen, but I just installed the suspension on my car last Saturday, so I thought I'd show you guys.

So, it used to look like this...

And now it's more like this...

The suspension consists of:

Front
Ebay 8 kg/mm adjustable coilovers
Rear SW20 MR2 KYB GR2 struts
Cut strut housings
T3 RCA
Ebay camber plates

Rear
SN95 Mustang GT convertible springs with 2 coils cut (around 4 kg/mm linear rates)
4th Gen Camaro rear struts from Autozone (LMAO! I wanted to use the stock ones since they don't have a lot of compression, but plenty of rebound stiffness to keep the rear of the car planted to the ground while drifting, but we accidentally cut through one of them, so I bought these. lol)
DIY panhard bar with heim joints

I know a few of you will question some of the parts I have used, but this is a really budget setup, and I'm leaving the rear softer than what is normally used because when I add some power, I want to have lots of grip. Up to know the car handles pretty well, but I need to get on the track to see how it performs while drifting. Some friends of mine have used a very similar setup, and they love it, so it's my turn to see how well it works for me.

Next few things on the list is AW11 manual rack conversion(I have the rack, just a few more parts), header, test pipe (already have waiting to be installed), exhaust (Espelir JGT500 full catback, already have waiting to be installed), an FIA legal seat, and a decent steering wheel.

Thanks for viewing. :tu:

joel26
VIP Member

Re: I thought I'd share a few of my own progress.

Post by joel26 »

looks good

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

Thank you sir.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It gladdens the heart to see enthusiasts take an initiative with their ingenuity or available known methods. It's a growing process for each individual. It's like have a window gradually opened to you to a great view - eye opening with every inch that's being revealed.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Haha I ran cut mustang springs on mine for the longest time. Loved it!
I like cars, food, and puppies.

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

dr.occa wrote:It gladdens the heart to see enthusiasts take an initiative with their ingenuity or available known methods. It's a growing process for each individual. It's like have a window gradually opened to you to a great view - eye opening with every inch that's being revealed.
Well, I'm not going to sit here and say I was the first to do this set up, but it's something I haven't seen posted on the internet, and I thought I could enlighten some people on a cheap set up that works pretty well. In the next couple of months, I hope to have video of me drifting (although I am not the best) so people could see for themselves that it works and maybe if it even suits their driving style.

Either way, thank you for saying that. I'm always out to help other enthusiasts with anything I can.

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

JDMwhiteboy wrote:Haha I ran cut mustang springs on mine for the longest time. Loved it!
The reason I chose the Mustang springs and stock Camaro shocks is because when I upgrade to more power, I will need more grip, and from what I've seen in most AE86 coilovers in the market, they are way too stiff for competitive drifting. For example, I see Taka Aono running the Megan Racing Type-RS coilovers, and I see he has no initial traction when he gets on throttle. Everyone leaves him behind. I think with a softer set up, his car and his driving abilities would make him a top contender.

I'm not saying that the coilovers in the market are crap, because most of them, even being cheap, really help the car handle better than stock, but they have been developed for a low powered Corolla as opposed to one that makes power. Granted, I have a stock 4AGE, but then again, I can always crank up the tire pressure. Some of the 1UZ 86 guys here in FL have soften their rear suspension setups, and let me tell you, these cars are fast, even going sideways. You can see the rear squatting and pushing the car forward.

Dampers are another story, but I can explain that another day. lol. Sorry for boring you guys. I feel like James May from Top Gear. LMAO!