M7 87 DD SR5

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

Re: M7 87 DD SR5

Post by BlackStar »

JDMwhiteboy wrote:Progress, I like it

trsut me, it doesn't feel like it, when the engine starts to go back together, then i'll agree lol!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

well it kind of already is starting to go together! that block looks damn good via pictures that you are going toto be working with. that's a huge step. rods pistons meh you can pick those up. blocks are sometimes hard as shit to find.... let alone one that you can actually work with. +20 on the progress from where it started!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

small update. sent off my block, crank and pistons/rods to get machined and ready to go. also am getting a full rebuild kit. till then, gotta catch up in school

86boy

Post by 86boy »

that's probably a good idea to catch up in school first off!

hopefully get your stuff back and almost be ready to rock! why'd you send the rods pistons and crank? have them balanced?
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

86boy wrote:that's probably a good idea to catch up in school first off!

hopefully get your stuff back and almost be ready to rock! why'd you send the rods pistons and crank? have them balanced?

the crank needed to be machined to a mirror finish, it had some score marks. and the new pistons had to be connected to something :hahaha: Hopefully, when this engine is done, it will be a soild and reiable engine, good mpg with adequte power, my new 25 years old car 8) I thinki'll ask the shop about cleaning up my head too, i might try to get the rust out myself though

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ahh that makes sense. heat that piston up and throw the wrist pin in! LOL little tricky sometimes.. and a little sketchy the first time or two haha. +1 on the new 25 year old car! hehe. hopefully my gze will be like that as well.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

small update, new shoes. stock 13 sr5 wheels with tires. the tires have some cracking, but nothing major. I like the look of them way better then the orange celicas.

i may rattle can the hood white tomorrow after i clean up some rust i found on a wheel well. someone did a bad job at fender rolling, the paint cracked in the process

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

gonna be working on some interior projects, i'll be posting them up in about 2 weeks. They are gonna be dash repair and interior part repair on a budget, kind of a how to for ballers on a budget.

and I am thinking about taking out the A/C system on my car. In the first post i had a picture of some unused connectors, and I think I have found out for what, the A/C compressor. Its missing. I have the accumulator, the lines, the exchanger (part in front of the radiator) and an unused idler pulley. I'm not sure if the rest of the A/C system works however, hence why I am thinking about taking it out, who knows how long those lines have been exposed to the open elements in the engine bay.

I also am gonna start thinking about tuning the little 4-AC, which is new territory for me. I want to tune for maximum economy and reliability. How do i do it? (<----total noooob) I really want to start thinking about the mpg/technical side of this build now. The goal is to have a high mpg car that is still fun to drive, like say if I find that one road, I won't feel like I am in the wrong car.

Appearance wise, I am starting to figure out what I want. I used to be an eco-modder back when gas spiked in 2008, and the clouds are darkening again. I was talking to the dude I got the wheels from, and was amazed to learn how much the usdm bumpers weigh. I want to do the japanese front bumper, kouki, and maybe the japanese rear. However, i trust my braking ability, not whoever is behind me, and i know the american bumpers can take a hit. I also want to go with the f1 style side mirrors, since it will reduce drag, the stock mirrors are rather big. I'll probably keep the sr5 wheels, they are narrow, or maybe a steelie with a similar bolt pattern in a size 14, not to many tire selections for 13'' wheels anymore

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

BlackStar wrote: I want to tune for maximum economy and reliability. How do i do it?
Dont f***ing touch the engine.
I like cars, food, and puppies.

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

JDMwhiteboy wrote:
BlackStar wrote: I want to tune for maximum economy and reliability. How do i do it?
Dont f***ing touch the engine.

that was simple, i figure a full engine rebuild and a light foot would be all for tuning :tehehe:

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Smart, don't be like me with my s13. Hey tuning is fun I make a lot of power now.... Boom knock knock knock knock KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK f-bomb lol
I like cars, food, and puppies.

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

Been busy, got the head stripped down and sent off to be cleaned. Been working on two how twos, one for interior part repair, the other for dashboard repair. I'll write up the part repair one soon since its almost done. debating if i want to take it further. The dashboard one is taking some time, and I'm afraid my dash vinyl my be too far gone, almost all of it is dead and brittle. And I think this weekend i will begin my engine build up finally, and just in time for rising gas prices lol! just gonna be a little 4ac, bored over 30 over. just a cool DD. I also have a new clutch and a full poly bushing kit on the way. I am figuring my tall 70 series tires will help soften up the ride.

speaking of my wheels, anyone know where to find the center caps for my style? I am also just thinking about painting the wheels all glossy black

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

build threads are no fun with pcitures, plus i have almost all of my engine parts back. tomorrow i get my crank pistons and rods. gonna have a real franksetien 4a. 4ac 30 over pistons, 4ag crank and 30 over 4ag block. got a full rebuild kit and clutch, some other parts and i have a full poly suspension bushing kit on the way. i also have a few pcis of my interior repair projects which i am gonna make into a how to. They are gonna be extensive dash repair and interior part repair. on with the pictures!

mine was broken in half, figure it would be a good subject for my how too

and how my dash was

currently in process

though it was funny, my exedy clutch for one of my old mustangs didn't have the illustrated instructions

I'll start the building this weekend hopefully, I don't want to rush the build, but after taking 3 of these engines apart, they are really simple and fun!

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

I am building the bottom end of my 4a engine, all parts have been machines, new bearings and thrust bearings. what i am running into is checking the thrust bearing clearances. If i push the crankshaft back (pulley side bushing in, i can fit the .008 feeler gauge fine (mine is a .006-.008 gauge) however, when i push it the other direction,(transsmisson back pushing forward) i can't fit the other feeler gauge in as well. sometimes it wont go in at all, it'l go in a bit if i wiggle it, or if i pry the crankshaft forward, i can fit it in better
so what have i done wrong, or am i worrying to much

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

time to give this an update, been busy here are some engine build pics

30 over 4ac psitons

waiting for the head

red oil pan, bit dinged up but structural fine

Finally have started putting the engine together, but I can't finish yet, lost 1 valve spring retainer, and they are near impossibly to find. However, i got another on the way, which gave me some free time......

so I decided to do some suspension work, full polyuerthane bushing set up. got the front done today, and pulled the rear suspesnion for the new bushings. this stuff it tough!

lotta little prothane boxes lol

don't worry, its all on jack stands

new bushings Image

I must not know my own strength, i broke apart the drivers side tie rod end, just plain gave up. At least it gave up while on jack stands, and not on the road