M7 87 DD SR5

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

M7 87 DD SR5

Post by BlackStar »

New guy, but i figured a good way to get to know everyone is do a build thread. Little info about me, I'm 23, live in Sun City CA and have had about 5 mustangs, so this is my first import. I will also ask some pretty noobish questions in this thread, so discussion is welcome.

I bought the car on 12/28/11 for 400 with a blown head gasket. Originally teal, its been rattle canned white, and has an original black interior. Supra rims and lowered.

Pics:

BlackStar
Tourist

Re: M7 87 DD SR5

Post by BlackStar »

12/29/11

got to work stripping the interor, smelled pretty musky inside! I'm also gonna redo my janky stereo wiring and use my old sony tape deck for a more period correct interior. and cause tapes are cool.

A smoker had the car at one point, the headliner was really dirty, and the insulation underneath stank! I recently got a shampooer to clean fabric, so this is gonna be its first test, cleaning the seats and carpet.

I also found a haynes manaul, i think the car wants to be fixed :lol!:

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

forgot to mention, i haven't jacked the car up yet, but crawled under a little bit. Apparently, the car may have a decent suspension, orange megan racing springs, and the struts are still good, not sure on the brand. the rears are red, and not to old, not sure on the front. I'm gonna jack the car up a bit today, maybe i can catch a glimpse

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

update 12/30/11

Got the head off the engine, moving right along.

looks like I have a new carb, it sure is clean and silver, nothing sticks too

more ovaltine please!

head off

underside.

so i have some questions now. As you can seen in the last picture, i have a stuck bolt sort of, i can get it out by taking the cam out, but i really don't want to, since everything is set at TDC. which leads me to another question, do i need new head bolts? My car has over 200k, and i know in fords they tend to strech and need to be replaced. or can i get away with just re-using them?

On the head gasket, i noticed it was part metal(and some mushy other stuff, idk what it was), and unbroken. How is it blown? i take it the softer stuff gave way and led to the coolant/oil mixture?

as you can see in the pictures, i got internal ruts, both in the cylinders, on the valves and not show, but on the rockers arms n such. how can i clean this up? I figure since i have it there, its probably in the internals too. i was figuring on getting some cheap vatozone oil, and try and flush out more of the old junk oil after i put the enginer back together(i would trun the engine by hand) but what should i do?

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

good work so far when I blew my head gasket I rebuilt the motor. New rings and bearings and took the block and other misc parts to a machine shop to clean for me. Im sure some local fellows can direct you to a good shop. if moneys tight wipe the cyl down with oil let them soak then turn the motor over by hand should get most of the reminance off.
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

update 1/14/2012

yesterday i started on yanking out the engine, it was a pain, took me till today to get it off! but now the junk engine and transmisson are out of the car

new engine hoist

the owner before used straight water for coolant, look at all that muck!

all cleaned up

gettin the f-bomb out

wink

I noticed on the heater core outlets, i'm missing one :( Can i just get a large screw in fitting, and screw it into that hole? I do want a working heater

and I have this old Formuling steering wheels i have had for a few years. Is there an adapter hub to use it on an AE86?

now time to search for a shortblock

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Dynamat the heater core holes.

Hmmm, HOA is gunning for you Blackstar ;).

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

I'm actually lucky, This is the second big project I have done at my house, the first was a transmission conversion on a mustang. My neighbors actually think its cool that I can do wokr like this with only hand tools and a little mechanical know how. also cleaning up everynight helps too :wink:

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

got a second late update, I got my 7A shortblock. not great pics, but the cylinders look great! engine is dirty though, and needs a good cleaning

I also got a GTS block and a partical GTS longblokc for free, thouhg I am told the lonblock needs to be re-bult.

my A series family

I have loads of 7A questions now, i'll post them up tomorrow

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I need to get my hands on a 7A block one of these days.

We need some light in those pictures.

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

sorry about that, i was way tired. I yanked out the old 4ac and trans in the morning, and drove an hour out to pick up the engines. I'm still sore! i'll get some new pics in a few

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Lol my heater core did the same thing!
I like cars, food, and puppies.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

BlackStar wrote:12/29/11

got to work stripping the interor, smelled pretty musky inside! I'm also gonna redo my janky stereo wiring and use my old sony tape deck for a more period correct interior. and cause tapes are cool.

A smoker had the car at one point, the headliner was really dirty, and the insulation underneath stank! I recently got a shampooer to clean fabric, so this is gonna be its first test, cleaning the seats and carpet.

I also found a haynes manaul, i think the car wants to be fixed :lol!:
Good work, do you intend on painting the bare metal at all?
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

its actually not bare, the car was a teal blue color. I do want to repaint the car whole and black (panda), but I am just going to do the trunk jams and door jams. I want to see how much of the engine bay paint can be saved. apparently having it a different color then the body is "cool"

yotarolla

Post by yotarolla »

nice choice for your first import, are you going EFI or stay with a carb setup?