Post by aj.hudson »

Thanks.. Still moving slow... ButImage

aj.hudson

Re: Aw11 free car spare parts build

Post by aj.hudson »

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

So I know its been WAY too long but the motor is in and is now running!

I forgot to show how I smoothed and portmatched the header

I also decided to remove the trans and mod the tranny by drilling it and use the stock cables.
I'm getting pretty good at this now and it only took me 45minutes to drop the tranny and I didnt have to drop the motor either! I use my plastic craftsman tool box as my motorcycle stand and now a 4age support/stand once empty of the drawers the oil pan fits in perfectly and rests on the lip. I also removed the WHOLE driver side suspension for extra room. This was a relatively painless process.
Then I got to work on modding the trans. Had a friend lathe a seal carrier and got a new seal from toyota. Used my special tool to line up the hole a bit better(it eats alu fast! same thing i used to port the header). I then welded the seal carrier and had the old shaft redrilled and re used the 6 speed parts in the 5 speed shaft. then with some spare 6061 I painstakingly cut out the bracket to hold the shift selector. and boom 6 speed!

And a youtube vid of the 6speed.
Last edited by aj.hudson on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Also got new tires and painted some stock triangles

And went for a Drive after messing FOREVER with the idle!

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

nice man i'm liking the wheels also

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Thanks!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

good update cars looks good

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Glad to see you behind the wheel of it and with a 6 speed 20 valve to boot! Awesome job on that a.j.. :tu:

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Thanks guys, now just need to get a muffler on it and register/state inspection! Probably cant tell but there were 3 cops in that video while I was driving, haha.
I want to get a muffler thats going to be more quiet than loud as Id rather hear them trumpets than the exhaust. Need some Ideas gentlemen I think im going to need a round body as the oval ones dont quite fit right, my exhaust system is 2.5in and I can use a muffler length of 30-35inches. I was thinking of this one
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... n&id=11015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I think it will still be too loud.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That offset muffler will be a lot quieter than straights.

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Cant find the muffler I want and anything close is in ss. I dont want to mix metals and ss is expensive aswell as I cant get the flanges in ss. Had a argument with the owner at the muffler shop here dude was a total dumbass, wanted to charge me 229 to install the 85$ muffler I bought from him and got mad when I told him that was too much! these are all crush bends by the way! He didnt want to refund me for the muffler either.. he wound up giving me the refund but was very rude. Anyways I get home ad the muffler was in my trunk! hahaha the other employee musta put it in there lol. All that to say i just going to buy the sv3power bolt on catback. The car is registered I changed the oil and filter and I drove it around today and man it is LOUD without a muffler! like crazy rediculous loud!
But it seems really quick, Id say its faster than my 05 corolla xrs (2zzge and 6speed) and other than Lift power delivery is very similar. This 20v seems STRONG. Only problem I have is my iscv doesnt work and is manual ATM, oh and also I need a 5speed speedo gear and sleeve for my 6speed so I can have a speedometer. Anyways heres a quick vid of me on the hwy down shifting to 3rd at about 60mph then to redline.

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Well I installed that crappy muffler to tide me over till i get the sv3power one and im going to install a resonator/testpipe instead of the cat.
Since the muffler is now "free" i went to vatozone and got 2 2.5 crushbend 90's
And then to tsc to get some rod for hangers. 290's cut and joined to make the 180, muffler hung, cut the testpipe and tacked it all together. Removed it and finished welding it up. Well its not pretty but it cost me around 30$ including some welding supplies I needed replenished. Image
Well I hate it! Its horrible... Louder than i wanted and sounds raspy and nasty in the upper rpm... It sounds okay-ish up till around 5k them it just sounds horrible and it kinda seems like its choking around 7-8krpm... Idk its temporary tho and might get better if Route the exit to behind the car instead of The nothing i have now... Anyways heres a quick video with the muffler installed... My gps said i got up to 77mph haha i just dont know when lol.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

For your ISCV issue, have you tried connecting the side that would normally go to the airbox to one of these:

You can then adjust idle with it by adjusting how much the ball valve is open.

aj.hudson

Post by aj.hudson »

Nope. Just been keeping it locked in at 1k rpm idle. I got a new iscv just havent had time to install it. The car is doing great, been daily driving it 35miles one way to work since april. And no hiccups whatsoever. The motor pulls pretty good and has been getting me in the 30mpg range with mixed driving, and the ac works too! Been keeping me cool in this 100deg weather this summer!!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Sounds pretty good... and the ac works thats good too...