Formerly McKenney's, now Thaison's Kouki Levin Coupe

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

AznTKDmstr

Re: Formerly McKenney's, now Thaison's Kouki Levin Coupe

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Copied from http://www.natsukashigarage.com

So I guess my third week of owning it, I decided it was time to lower the car. It was originally on megan lowering springs, but i just wasn't happy with that drop.

I had worked out a deal with my buddy Joseph (who has a 20v silvertop swapped 87 sr5 coupe, converted to gts). He recently picked up some STANCE coilovers so he was selling me his old set up -- sw20 kyb agx shocks, techno toy tuning advanced strut tube spaces with battle version camber plates and drop in collars/coilover spring.

So that gave the levin a nice drop, but still wasn't enough for me. So I decided to spin the collars down another inch and a half. The height now is low, but not excessively low. My Harbor Freight Lo-Pro jack has about .5-.75" of clearance at the frame rails. I figured this is the perfect height for daily. I've already scraped on a couple large speed bumps. Luckily I have the strut tune spacers in there. I've heard and felt the top of the mcpherson strut hit my camber plates... But luckily with the spacers. My agx shocks are 2" from full compression. Meaning, no blown shocks! (Like the peanut).

On another note, since the levin is a daily, I've decided to strip the hatch. So in the process, I swapped the pioneer speakers over to the levin. The levin had some 75w pioneers in the front, but they looked kind of old...

Along with it, came my alpine unit. So now I have something to bump the jams. I have a 12" sub and box I thought about putting in, but realized it might be too big for me. So I'm opting out for a 10". Anybody want a 12" and box? Got one for sale.

Next mod is to swap my hks sport onto the levin from thenhatch. It's too loud for me as a daily. The hks sport should give it a nice low tone.

Also rear suspension and fender flares coming soon...

Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

What flares and new jumps will you be running in the rear? Will the flares be just on the rear or "full armor"?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

he's getting new front fenders as those are still mine lol. they back-ordered the ones he had purchased.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

bah! Wish I could put my fenders on....

I got 2 12" Treo subs, 2 TMA amps, and a box... 500+shipping it's all yours hahahahaha
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

86boy wrote:bah! Wish I could put my fenders on....

I got 2 12" Treo subs, 2 TMA amps, and a box... 500+shipping it's all yours hahahahaha
lolololol, thanks, but I got a Kenwood 1000W amp and a kenwood 10" i'm about to put in this weekend. All for the price of $50. :D
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

So my buddy Jason came over after I got of work to start welding up my rear quarter panels. Joseph decided to come on over as well. I picked up a 12 pack of Dos Equis and we quickly started working on the levin.

Using the hammer and a bunch of ice grips. We attempted to get the two layers of metal as close to each other as possible. The rear quarter has metal coming from the wheel well, which is factory welded together to the outer body of the 86. I had to close up the gap from cutting and grinding. An hour and a half later, we had the driver side finished. Yes we took our sweet one and almost finished a 12 pack. Hahah.

Then another hour we had the other side welded up and Jason took off to head home. Joseph and I began rearig off the rear suspension. Taking out the Megan lowering springs and the Monroe camaro/fox body shocks. Then it was in with the camaro/fox body kyb agx's and swift rear springs. Just look at the difference!

Linear Swift springs vs progressive Megan lowering springs <a Image

By now the rear was just squatting! The coupe looked sooooooo dope. So the next day, on went the origin bubble style rear flares. And on went the work equips! I first tried the 15x9 -41 with a 205/50 tire, but it caught the little lip on the flare. So instead, I threw on the 15x8.5 -35 with a 195/50 tire. Check out the fitment:

Between the rear of the flare, where it meets the rear bumper, the tires rub on bumps. So I figured if I just deemed the lip a bit, I can shave the flare down a bit and get another cm if clearance.

But boy do the wheels really set off the car!

And everyone's been asking -- now what wheels will go on the hatch??? Dunno yet... that's to come.
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

looks good

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Copied from Natsukashi Garage -- Branden's photojournalism class called for a photostory, so he decided to use me as a subject. I'll update the thread soon with all my pictures of the levin's build progress

So recently I was asked to do a photo story on someone interesting that I know for a photography class in school. I enjoyed the project so much that I have decided to give a more in depth presentation to those of you out there that follow us here.

Thaison is one of the co-founders of Natsukashi Garage and also one of the most interesting people I know. By day Thaison works and operates a Pho restaurant rightfully named Pho Thaison by his parents. This once small operation has turned into a restaurant chain of over 6 restaurants here in the local Austin area. (Really if you get a chance stop by the William Cannon restaurant and eat some of his amazing food) At night, however, he focuses all of his energy on building and maintaining any one of the 4 Toyota Corollas that he owns. Now knowing Thaison, his love for Corolla's is unprecedented and his creativity when building them is top notch. I've appreciated his philosophy of always doing what he wants on a build regardless of what anyone else says. That's a hard trait to come by these days, especially in our scene. Even more so, Thaison is one of the few people who are truly involved in keeping the art form of the Toyota Corolla alive. Being a cult classic favorite the cars are hard to come by, but when he gets one he holds on to it forever.

Like every build Thaison's cars go through different phases. Everything from slam the crud out of that car to raise it and race it has been done by him. Being privileged with the internet also leaves him to be inspired by peers from across the world.  His cars sometimes go with the trends and at other times go completely against then.  However, unlike most people who would send a car off to a shop to perform the work they have in mind Thaison does everything by himself in a small garage with the most basic of tools. A true artisan of his craft.

What follows is a small window into a normal day with Thaison Nguyen and Natsukashi Garage

Typical Thaison ready to roll in his newest Corolla Levin Coupe.

Before the Levin was what it is above, it was this. A primered car that needed some love. Instead of paying Maaco or some other shop to paint it, Thaison took it upon himself to do the dirty work.

This is the Nguyen home. I dubbed it "Vietnam" the first time I ever came over and the name has stuck. Here there is a collection of restaurant and car parts. It's funny to see a place like this tucked away in the hustle and bustle that is South Austin.

Corolla is the name, building is the game.

Work is never too far from Thaison. He always represents his shop proudly.

A typical work scene where Thaison is working with his co workers making us delicious goodies to consume.

Fresh veggies for the Pho. Everything is so delicious... and believe me I'm picky when it comes to Pho.

You know when the cook eats his own food it has to be good.

By day these hands cook and clean at the restaurant.

By night the labor of love takes over. I can't tell you the amount of time that went into this paint job, but it was a lot. Given that it was his first time ever doing pant/body work everyone was very impressed with the final result.

On Saturday nights, us here in Austin have the privilege of the local meet. Here we all get to catch up with friends that we may not have time to see during the week. Everything from life, car builds, and racing is discussed.  Our group in particular does something different after the meet however. Instead of the typical drag racing that occurs these days we choose to attack the mountains. Touge is very much a part of the Natsukashi life, and this particular night was the Levin's debut.

Cody Louis always admires a good build when he sees one.

Before we run, we must fuel up. Half tank only please!

Tire pressure is always checked to ensure maximum grip in our case. For Thaison however, stretched tires make him fill them up a little more then the typical amount.

After a quick run, discussion on technique and how the run went occurs. This night was the first time everyone (minus myself) had been to this road so there was a lot to talk about.  DSD is what we have named this road and it surely is one of the most technical roads in Austin.

On the way back Thaison and crew make a stop at the DSD. Here we park, relax, and enjoy life.

The view here is quite scenic. Back in the TGBC days (An old Touge crew that was assembled by a few old friends) we used to come here a lot after running. The water was also a lot higher back then.

Welcome to boat world. Here the more fortunate store their boats in a giant garage like structure to later be used for fun on the lake. Instead of boats we here have a dream of making it a JDM car garage where we could store our ever growing collection of classic JDM cars. It's a big dream of ours but it will be achieved one day.

In the old days we would wander the docks and find the boats we "owned." Most were gone now, but walking a dock at night is none the less a peaceful experience that allows one to clear their head as Thaison demonstrates.

After a run through another one of our favorite roads Thaison takes the time to check over the bay to ensure there are no unwanted leaks or animals...... in his case.

Before the sun rises we all must go home. The drive home is always an enjoyable time where one can reflect on the night and maybe the week before that occurred. For Thaison it's thoughts of the restaurant, life, and the fact that he built something that can survive the harsh nature of road racing that puts him at peace.
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I finally got to see this thing in person, only part I recognize is the interior and under the hood lol. Looks amazing bro! I'm really glad she's holding up good for you!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

great pics....

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

The car is looking super gangster. I really like it. Keep it up.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Latino Hibino wrote:The car is looking super gangster. I really like it. Keep it up.

now.. THAT'S GANGSTER!

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯