Formerly McKenney's, now Thaison's Kouki Levin Coupe

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

wizzurp
Tourist

Re: McKenney's Kouki Levin Coupe

Post by wizzurp »

Yuck man, it didn't like the seat change.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Actually it was cylinder 3. No mix of coolant and oil though and it didnt hydro lock. Pulling the head today. Luckily I've sourced all the parts to assemble another motor if I have to. Going to try another head gasket first and hope for the best.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk

86boy

Post by 86boy »

That a never good. Best of luck to you sir! Unless you got it back on the road already. Was it just loosing compression then? What's the details?
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

You done yet??
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Cometic time buddy! Remember you helped me install one on mine big McK! :tu:

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

finished at 1 am this morning, all is good for now... timing is a little off still but no leaks, no knocks, and no smoke!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

werd! that's a good sign! :various1:
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

well, motor's trash... metal shavings in the oil. the cams and cam journals had grooves in them when I did the head gasket and I was hoping to make it last for a month or two. But it's still running but it's a ticking time bomb(no pun intended).

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

So I ordered this motor last night from Pho Thaison, and they delivered it today... to Dallas!!! Those guys are awesome! Seriously though, Thaison hooked me up and had his brother drop it off on his way into Sherman. Thanks again bro, you don't know how much I am in your debt!!!!! So pics to come this weekend as the bastard motor build takes place and is dropped into the ol' girl. To recap the "Bastard Motor" is going to be an AE92 Hicomp bottom end with the bigport head and cams.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Jonas swears it won't make any more power than a regular small port. My argument is that the small port can't move as much air at high rpm as a big port head can. I understand the small port is a much more active port but it has to be to contend with the demands put on it by the bottom end. That being stated, why do you "port" a head? To allow more air to flow into and out of it efficiently. By reducing the velocity of said airflow, I know I will lose down low power. However, the high rpm should gain significantly from the added availability of air. It's no different than a 1620 setup in this aspect. Higher compression bottom end than stock with the biggest intake port available in stock form. Either way, we're about to find out if there's any significant gains available here.

I originally wanted to do before and after dyno pulls to verify this, but the motor in her right now I don't think would survive the abuse. So the butt dyno will have to suffice. As well as running bt20v's car for a solid comparison, as we have a tendency to smacktalk and go play around. He beat me bad with the gear change from 4.30's to 3.91's btw.

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

nice... it will be good to know the car is running again

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

hey, she's still running! She's just not happy about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Oh you got his motor? Badass man. I'd like to see what mine will pull on the dyno compared to yall. ;)
I like cars, food, and puppies.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

He did me a big favor... I'm going to pull the small port head off after work today and get the big port head and cams bolted on, then start pulling mine and getting the intake and other misc stuff I gotta re-use on this one.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The problem with the large port head and with porting all together is their intrinsic nature of enlarging the ports. Though you increase the capacity of movable air, that quantity AND at the ideal velocity is attainable at even higher rpms. The higher rpms, the more you increase thermal dynamic break down. It's not a sustainable amount of power. In other words, you have to work the largeport head harder to perform at the same level as the hi-comp.

The bump in the compression will naturally increase the performance of the largeport, but where torque and power occur will be different between the two. A better performing engine is one that produces the performance consistently throughout more of the motors range than that of one that is consigned to a small window of "opportunity". A motor that can produce the power and sustain it over a larger rpm range is a better overall motor. An engine that is closer to balanced is better than one further from it unbalanced.