New project Levin in SoCal - build thread

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

MrTea
Tourist

New project Levin in SoCal - build thread

Post by MrTea »

Acquired a '85 LHD from my mother in law last month that she was trying to donate, so now i have a new project. It needs quite a bit of work, but it's registered here in CA somehow (but behind 5 years on registration) so it will be fun to play with a RHD on the road.

Here it is the day i towed it in, about 5 weeks ago.

Car didn't run, so started troubleshooting. didn't have spark, new coil fixed that, but still no fuel?

so new pump and bracket got fuel going. Finally started up, then a cracked injector led to a fun mess all over. changed out all the injectors, new plugs to be safe, warmed it up and changed the oil and filter as it had been sitting for at least 2 years i know.

..then came some toys. T3 was my first order

new 4 link bars to replace some abused stockers.

Prothane full kit (haven't installed any of the front bushings still) and new single row crank pulley since i pulled the AC and PS.

Then picked up NRG hub and type 3.0 quick release for the Nardi wheel. car had a race bucket when i got it, and getting in and out w/out the quick release would really suck.

Cabe Toyota seems to be pretty good source for parts and luckily i found they were down the street, so when i couldn't find a few misc nuts/bolts for the wheel and bumpers they hooked me up, though pricing is still high as expected from a dealer....but hey, quick service.

Next project is to replace the rear passenger (driver side on US) quarter panel. There was a replacement sitting with the car in the driveway (though US spec) so i just need to get a shop to do the work. i sanded then hit the car with primer/black paint for the time being as well.

Working on a new front Levin setup from a local owner parting out, fenders/bumper/lights/grill/CF hood. but here she sits currently.
Image...

joel26
VIP Member

Re: New project Levin in SoCal - build thread

Post by joel26 »

Nice levin

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

very nice

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

damn!! your mother in law had this?!

looking good so far

how do you bend the lower four link that bad? and just one ha ha
JDM AE86/AE92

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

You said something about needing a rack? I have a rebuilder here that does it for me for $100. And I can get you new oem inners for cheap. Nice Levin btw!

MrTea
Tourist

Post by MrTea »

i think i found a local spot that can replace the rear quarter and get it on a frame straightener to make sure everything is good.

i don't know all the stories about the past of the car, but i know the previous owner was on Club4AG and it looks like he got in an accident on the hwy or something...not sure on the details. but the front and rear passenger side were beat, rear 4link on that side was tweaked, so makes sense. the weird one for me is there are 4 dents on the roof? looks like some pipes fell on it or something?

i have the ITB's and T3 adapter in hand now. still need the gaskets and the Haltech is on it's way as well. once i get the registration worked out i'll be able to make some bigger steps on the car i hope.

...anyone know what suspension this is by the way?

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Have you done a carfax on the car? if you can find a cool sales guy at a dealership they can look it up for ay for free.
I like cars, food, and puppies.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

nce build i like those wheels. I had some similar but they werent as wide as yours.
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

MrTea
Tourist

Post by MrTea »

unfortunately it's been really hard to get info on the car. with the 7 digit VIN (11 if you include AE86 in the beginning) it's hard to find info on any of the search engines including Carfax.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Ah good point, hell try Google lol
I like cars, food, and puppies.