NE ae86

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

Re: NE ae86

Post by 86boy »

So... I got my wideband back, but need to put it back in. For the more current more important part I have the clutch disc ordered from ACT 159 + shipping for a 4ag(z)e to w58. They appearently even made a part number for it as quite a few people have requested it. I don't have that part number yet. This is the first different trans swap I've done, and doing it with limited knowledge of the trans. I also have found that the w series trans have a 21 spline output and the r series have a 23 spline output.

Shit to do/get:

Throwout bearing
Pilot Bearing (possibly?)
driveline
drill holes for the slave cylinder

Done/bought:

w58
bell housing
ACT clutch with custom disc
clutch fork
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Pilot bearing is the same I.D. so that's good. Throwout bearing is ordered as well.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

very nice!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I'm actually kind of excited to get these parts. I also already have the trans cross member as well. Forgot to mention that piece! I'm just going to use the stock mount that is on the transmission still.

Shit to do/get:

driveline
drill holes for the slave cylinder
Put it all together

Done/bought:

w58
bell housing
ACT clutch with custom disc
clutch fork
Throwout bearing
Pilot Bearing
Trans mount
Trans cross member (xcessive manufacturing ae86 to w58/r154)

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Going to take my driveshaft pieces to a shop this evening to find out what I all need to do to get a 1 piece shaft made. Ideally I'm going to carry both half in and tell them to fix it! haha Gotta figure out what i'm going to do with the slave cylinder as well still...

I'm...well... concerned with where the shifter location ends up... it's not really centered with the car anymore...

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Well the shop I'm haivng build my driveline ordered a new slip yoke, u-joints, rear flange, pinion flange, and the tubing.... estimated cost $535. Apparently there's a center flange out of a truck driveline that fits the pinion that can be used to up the size of tubing, and make it stronger. So I went that route to try it, and if it's not right the company is going to eat the cost until it's right. I informed them of all of this, and more than 1 person. Soooo we shall see how well it goes. haha Only time will tell.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

So... I've stayed away from posting "my every move" as it's taken days/weeks for stuff and people are grazing through (i'd imagine/hope). Anyways even if people don't look/post whatever oh well. Here's some updates with the car.

Beautiful chunk of driveline. Well built/balanced by a local shop. It may or may not have cost me a lot of money for this, but oh well. I'm my opinion it was worth every cent. Plus it was local so if it wasn't quite right I could take it back to them.

This flange is out of some 80's pickup. Out of the center section of that driveline. They only had specs of the parts, and not the actual year/make/model. So I give them props for that, but I am however going to post the part number found on the box, and on the price sheet. I'm all for giving out any information I can to help out for those who don't know. I couldn't find crap on part numbers or anything like that on forums for 1 piece drivelines for the ae86. Just found "had a custom one made" while I'm over here screaming at my monitor "WHAT EFFING PART NUMBERS WERE USED". Anyways here you go with that portion. The price sheet miiiiiggghhhtt be a little small. So if you can't read it/see it very well just let me know and I'll scan it at work or something.

Had to drill and tap the holes on the bell housing for the slave cylinder. That was kind of tricky, but I got it all figured out. The clutch engages about where I wanted it to with enough space as the disc wears, and the clutch fingers move out it'll have it's space still. Also had some issues with the clutch fork/throw out bearing. Thanks to McKenny for sending me a fork/throwout bearing to play with/use.

Then getting everything put back into the car.... Also please note the second picture here is the flange out of the center section of that pickup used for the pinon flange. Works perfect. Only thing missing the little "dust cover". The factory one ALMOST fits. If I had a lathe it would fit, but I don't so it doesn't have one currently.

Random Gyro and fries....

Also reinstall my wideband back into the car as well. Since I had it sent off for warranty repair/exchange from Innovate. I never got around to putting it back in, but it's in now! Which also means I need to try that base map I received from Haltech a while back as well. See how much better that is. It DRIVES!!! YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!! Later last night my speedometer stopped working... so this weekend when I change the diff/trans fluid after breaking in the near 3.9 R&P/getting whatever old shit was sitting in the trans. I'll check the speedo cable while Im there. That is... if it well doesn't snow too much tomorrow/friday. Also my leftover mess that I REALLY need to clean up very soon.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

good update.. looks good...

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Thanks Joel!

idk how many have welded diffs/spools, but I'm a little disturbed by my rear end... ever since I've done the welded diff then graduated to a spool the ring and pinion sound like they are fighting out back when I turn with no power. IE turning a corner with the clutch in or just letting it idle it's way through. I'm imagining this is normal... but I just need some reassurance especially now that I have changed gears, and these are brand spankin new.

It's hard to explain the noise. It almost sounds like the ring and pinion have too much backlash and are bouncing of the teeth while turning. if that makes any sense.... after reading that your faces --> [really] Backlash is factory settings a litttttttle on the tight side, but not a lot.
@McKenney @Dr.occa

I'm guessing it's this i'm hearing...

You are right the inside wheel with a spool WILL turn the same speed as the outside wheel. In trying to catch up at low speeds you will hear a usually squeal from the tires on pavement.
Sometimes the wheels hop instead of squeal too. If the tires hop there is a lot of pressure building up on the drive train, when the tire hops the pressure is relieved, causing a jerk to all of drive train.
Anything thats loose in the drive will pop, slap, wobble, or eventually break. I would get under there and check all your U-joints, flanges, bolts etc. It could be just about anything.
With a mini-spool the axles should be tied together. I wouldn't expect any slop there unless installed wrong.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It's quite possible the backlash maybe too tight Chris( @86boy ). I know Weir and even Marty do like to set their backlash tighter than Toyota factory so other people do it too.

When turning or parking you'll definitely get resistance to where it feels like you have to give it more gas to get it move. It's normal for spools.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Yeah Im cool with that. Its almost like wheel hop... but possibly not. Its like the gears are rotating foward then it sounds like you are holding the pinion flange and very quickpy moving it back and forth. Whre you get that tink tink tink tinkof the gesrs slapping each other from one way to the other. Make sense? Imma turn up the stiffness on the suspension and see what happens
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

So this little corolla is going to make a 14 hour drive to Richardson, TX this weekend... So I can become a Texas resident! No car updates except I put 2 new tires on the rear. So I'm looking forward to meeting people, and checking out the car scene....and of course all the 86s!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

So... I really hope this w58 lasts a little longer than the first one.... Blew it up around whichita, KS doing 75 mph. Just shelled out no gears and makes an awesome noise in neutral when you let the clutch out. Found another w58 thanks to Lattanzi and McKenney. I got it all cleaned up this evening. Going to put it in tomorrow hopefully. Uggh
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Well I've been driving it for a few weeks now... everything appears to be good again. Also this 86 is now a resident of North Texas! haha
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Some new wheels... 15x8.25 et 0 NO spacers.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/