NE ae86

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

Re: NE ae86

Post by 86boy »

The damn pulley wasn't quite cut right. The slot for the key in the crank was more of a V and it only went on about halfway. it was pretty effing sweet coming from a company that took 2 weeks to get me the pulleys, and they were 320 +shipping... not happy. Plus somehow I broke their alternator bracket I bought some time back. talk about CHEAP shitty aluminum. way to go NST. I'm going to hit up a tractor repair shop here, and see if they have any "turnbuckles" which is the same damn thing as NST's alternator bracket. Only difference is they are stronger, and only cost 10-15 dollars not 45.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

where's the like button????

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

its not like its thanks lol....that is pretty crappy
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

How'd you brake the alternator adjustable bracket!? I'm the one who actually that thing together for the alternator bracket and handed it over to NST. I've been running mine for a few years now as well as a similar one I put together for the 3TC wagon that I sold a year ago.

I don't know if maybe NST is substituting different components now but I doubt it. It's possible the supplier may have provided a bum buckle? Could you take a picture of the destruction Chris?

86boy

Post by 86boy »

lol sure. the threads broke off one of the eyelets inside the turnbuckle... and the threaded portion is STUCK. Have to drill it out to get it out.... and I'm not about to do that for a 15 dollar part.... that I can get here locally. I'm just going to take the broken pieces in, and put them on the counter. Luckily I managed to make a stock bracket barely work... the belt is tight, but it's maxed out. So I might just say screw it and use that bracket, but get a shorter belt. Cheap ass aluminum... the one side still spins just fine in and out. I took it off, and put it back on the car about 3 months ago, and everything was fine. This time one side acts as if the threads are full of crap, but the threads were completely clean the last time I had it off...it completely twisted off the eyelet portion threads off into the turnbuckle. great stuff. This is also the last thing I buy from NST.... glorified shiney turds for parts is all that is. I'm tempted to take those pulley's off as well. $318 for a few pounds of boost isn't really worth it in my opinion... I should have went the T3 route with the 175mm pulley for $90 or $110.

Just 3 crappy things all at the same time isn't good with me. crappy material used for the alternator bracket... I was scared to put any type of force on it to begin with since it felt crappy since I received it. Then the SLOW processing... and the slow process to get the pulleys shipped. I emailed them asking if they can check on the shipping, and got a response "give me a few hours to check into this". Thinking alright I can do that stuff happens or mistakes whatever. The next afternoon still have yet to hear anything back. The next day I decide to check the tracking for the package, and low and behold it was shipping. No notifications or emails or even a phone call. Then got them last Friday finally after ordering on the 4th of November when they came back in stock apparently. Then having issues with the slot for the crank key.... that topped off my night. The pulley's look good, but still feel like the Chinese aluminum like the alternator bracket. When I refer to "Chinese aluminum" in turn stating the cheapest crappiest most recycled aluminum that can be found, and molded into something, and that's what the Chinese are doing with anything having to be made from aluminum. Ever wonder why most of their stuff is crazy cheap... if it involves aluminum there's your answer ;)

another thing I love about people... while I seem to be on a rant spree. I posted up a few different times here, and on facebook.... no one said a damn thing about that kit. I buy it and get it to fit correctly. then I get swarmed with "ohhhh those kits cause all sorts of problems"... sweeeeeeeet... couldn't have warned me before I bought it, and made it fit?

/end rant.

What's the 25% rating thing for? I missed the memo somewhere....
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Chris you sound a little miffed...lol!

Man, I don't have any first hand experience with the GZE pulley kit. John Yim, who drove a GZE coupe back in the early days of Formula D competed with that NST pulley kit without any issues. Tommy Suell also competed a few years back with the same kit on his GZE hatch. Outside of those guys, that's it from me. I'm sorry that happened man. Have you contacted NST and told them the problem with the slot for the woodruff key not being cut properly? Maybe they'd be willing to replace it?

The rating is people thanking others for certain posts. People also have the ability to take back their thanks. I might have to change that.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Ok so I got the Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 stand alone. I believe (haven't tested it yet though) I have successfully just created my own little jumper harness. Since my car is still daily driven.... I couldn't just tear it down and rewire the whole car... and hope I could get it to start. So that's the reasoning behind the jumper harness. OBD 1 Honda ECU (po5/po6) is what I stole the connector out of. Before I post up the wiring for it... I'm going to test it first. But here's a picture of the test jumper. The extra wires are extras that Can be added in later down the road. For now the idea is to get the car running, then possibly driving on the Haltech ECU. This is all mainly just for learning for me. I don't technically need stand alone yet, but I wanted to learn... and lean out the top end a little. haha Anyways here's a picture of my jumper harness, and I know it's not "professional". Although it doesn't look to shabby I must say. More to come later.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Ok so I still have yet to get the Haltech system running due to that whole igniter issue. McKenney actually found me a mitsubishi eclipse igniter for $30 shipped, and that will be here thursday! woot!

Also I got my project fenders. Learning how to do some fiberglass work as well.

Well obviously safety first right?

kinda sucks the nose got cracked/chipped out...

Some progress on fixing up the nose.

aaaannnnnddddd finished fixing and still unpainted. I sanded that down a little more after this picture and it looks good as new again. Now to fix a couple other decent cracks and sand out all the stress cracks.

"Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

looks good....

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

My experience has been that parts made from fiberglass have a tendency to over-promise and under-deliver.
'85 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback DMG
'92 Lexus SC400 Diamond White Pearl (WTS/WTT)
'99 Lexus SC300 Millenium Silver Metallic (WTS)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I like Folgers coffee too! :tu: Good job on that Chris.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

dr.occa wrote:I like Folgers coffee too! :tu: Good job on that Chris.
the greygoose caught my attention
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

86boy

Post by 86boy »

hahaha thanks first off! The folgers can is for cigarette butts. The greygoose is full of highlighter? (roommates doing with the last party) where it glows with the black lights. lol

More to come with those fenders as well. It's also a learning process. Apparently the fiberglass resin jelly (that i used on the nose) mixed with fiberglass strands THEN put the hardener in makes for quite the strong piece. Well at least fixing stuff like that. Seems to hold pretty good I tapped on a little bit to see if it was going to just chunk off, but it's holding pretty good currently.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Twiniez!
I like cars, food, and puppies.

86boy