Molly, my money pit of a corolla.

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Re: Molly, my money pit of a corolla.

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Just you wait guys, just you wait. The show has just begun ;)
I like cars, food, and puppies.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

feeling really lazy so Ill write stuff this weekend. For now lookie pics!!!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Oh DAMN! Ted-D is sporting side draughts! Baller!

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Needs more zipties and random wires.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Is it just locked out timing for now?

What made you change your mind about going sidedraught rather than the downdraught holley 4-barrel?

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Looks good I like the carbon trumpets...

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

dr.occa wrote:Is it just locked out timing for now?

What made you change your mind about going sidedraught rather than the downdraught holley 4-barrel?
To answer this question, lets all sing a song.... jk

But the real answer is this whole build pretty much fell into my lap. The more I was playing with the holley set up the more janky it was starting to look. The guy who made the manifold could have done a much better job if he took his time and r&d it right. I was on club4ag looking for a starlet dizzy, I wanted one for the vac advance, and i was in the for sale threads when I found a guy selling a whole set up. It was a mr2 dizzy that was already wired to run on a 6al msd box, the other part of the package was the carbs. I just had gotten my tax return so it was buring a hole in my pocket lol. This was a much cleaner set up and the guy I bought it from said that they build this set up for a FA 4age his sop built and had it on for about a month or two before changing set ups. It wasnt till after I agreed to buy it that I thought to ask how big the carbs were, 48mm. Well thats much more than my little 4ag could take that I picked up cams and valve springs to try to up the volumetric efficiency of the engine to match the carbs (the head has a mild port and polish from back in Oct 11 when I had it rebuilt.) After that it was wait for all the parts to get in the mail then bolt it all up. I still have the Holley set up, not sure what I will do with it. either sell it or play with it and slap it on another corolla if I somehow just find another one in a field ;)

She is running fine now, but the jets are too big I think and I will have to set up a set of smaller ones. She has a stumble when you first put your foot down and I can almost watch the gas gauge move. I have the accelerator pump almost all the way lean I can go but she still stumbles. So really just some time to sit down with her and a screw driver and maybe a beer then tune her. To answer the question on timing, the msd box advances timing so I have play with the dizzy, but right now shes set at 60 BTDC and idles high 1800rpm. Like I said just time to tune.

So a quick list of the engine (off the top of my head.)
3 Rib 4ag stock bottom end with new piston rings
rebuilt 16v bigport head
mild port and polish
HKS valve springs
Tomei poncams 264X8.15 IN+EX
HKS 1.6mm headgasket
ARP head studs
GReedy oil filter
Toyota timing belt.
48mm SK racing sidedraft carbs (with weber jets)
CF trumpets
cust throttle spacers
TRD sidedraft manifold
OBX? 4-2-1 longtube headers
2"X12" test pipe
Trust DD exhaust
Hopes & Dreams

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

the stumble is with the accelerator pumps...i told you i can get it tuned with what you have...you gotta hit me up brother
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Ted-D, what are your current jettings on the carbs?

What size inner-venturis/chokes are in them? i.e. 34mm, 36mm, 37mm, 38mm...etc...etc...

The cool thing about the SKs is they're a cross between the Weber DCOEs and the Mikuni/Solex.

I concur that 48mm are too big even for 264 cams. 40mm is still just right. 44mm is still pushing it.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

but tuned properly they'll be fine. I've run 780cfm carbs on 305s... the motor is only going to pull as much air as it needs. it's a big vacuum pump. tune them and you'll be fine.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It's more difficult to tune oversized carbs for a small engine. It's not impossible it's more difficult. The best thing is to choke down the carbs by replacing the inner venturis with smaller ones for closer to proper air velocity.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

The other key here is this is my DD for now. MPG is an important factor. It's also why I went with the 264 cams, its just the first step up and the most "streetable" sized cams for the 4ag. Racecar yes but I need to make it to work and school first.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

OK I guess I could give yall an update. I'm mainly getting things together and ready before Cupcake meet 14!

I had the spare on in these cause on my way to this meet one of my brand new tires popped on me. The bead split from the sidewall as I was about to enter the highway. I had the tires on four days before that happened and then on July 4th I had another tire bubble. They are BFG G-sports and I think this is the last time I will but BFG. I knew I should have stuck with Yokohamas. The tires are 185/60R14 on a 14X8 wheels.

Anyway heres the show! See anything different ;)

All the photags that snapped my pics!!!! Follow them!

http://www.facebook.com/whitterjohnphotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Azn-Avenu ... 6484158774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 309&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/ftdfw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/KealiiPhotography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

damn that bumper looks sexy as hell, glad I was there to help you brother! cya Sunday!

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

The kouki bumper looks way nicer. Where did you get your rear overfenders? I'm looking for a set.