Project Nicholas - Go Levin

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

joel26
VIP Member

Re: Project Nicholas - Go Levin

Post by joel26 »

Nice levin and keep up the good work man its coming along great......

gobutai
Tourist

Post by gobutai »

Labor Day Weekend - "Chuggin' Along"

Distributor Cover Mod
Since the Blacktop did not come with one, I decided to make my own.

20v Distributor from Ebay - $20

DIY called for cutting at the 3cm (1.18") mark: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum ... rsion-AE86" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I measured out 1.25" to compensate for any cutting error.

Cutting Progress
I had to saw off the terminals to get to the rest of it.

Cutting Done = 1.25" Height

Some grinding needed

Carbon Fiber Kit - Ebay $30
Carbon Fiber Experiment - First time with this stuff
Meguiar's Mold Release

Filling It in - Carbon Fiber + Resin
I did not like the resin the ebay kit came with. This slow type resin had a handy working time for 45 min, but the handle time was 8 freaking hours. Patience is a virtue, lol...

Second layer

Upper Timing Cover Trial
I had a broken / cracked 20v timing cover that needed to be replaced, so I decided to experiment with it.
Last edited by gobutai on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gobutai
Tourist

Post by gobutai »

Wheel Fender Gap Revisited
Here's how she sits now with the NRCAs
She's pretty close to "Hella Flush." I may put in a 5+mm spacer or LCAs to close it in even more later on.

gobutai
Tourist

Post by gobutai »

Labor Day Weekend Progress - Day 2

I forgot my camera since I was so excited to get there - sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, tried to fix it a little.

After fixing a lot of vacuum leaks, removing unnecessary tubing, advancing the timing, cleaning up the bay, and a AA battery as a vacuum plug (all brilliant work courtesy of previous owner) lol.
Here's what the Blacktop looks like.

First Run Results
We only took her to 6500 RPM since there was a huge uncertainty with the previous work done to her. She also felt like she did not want to go to stock redline on 7800 rpm (some say 8300 rpm).
Man, was she running rich - 11s AFR...

Backing off the fuel pressure by 5psi
2nd Run Results

Run Comparison

Lots of work ahead - those are really erratic curves. I have posted on the Tech Discussion regarding Microtech use and experience. We're going to need help on this one since none of us have experience with this ecu - it's like trying to speak a foreign language at the moment, lol.
Last edited by gobutai on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gobutai
Tourist

Post by gobutai »

Thoughts Thus Far
On this build thread, it may seems like it has been smooth sailing, but in reality, it has been really challenging to keep going at times. The Levin does have some nice parts that came with it, but the more the build comes along, lots more "little" issues arise.

Lots of little issues = BIG Headache

The Plan - Divide and Conquer

Problem (1) Tranny issue - it looks like the throwout bearing was installed wrong or has gone bad. There's a persistent clicking noise at idle and clutch release is very high (last 1/4 before it grabs) ever since I got a hold of this car. Whining noise has developed.
Plan (1) Pull tranny out and see what is exactly going on. I need to see if the previous owner stuck with the 16v setup or 20v clutch, pressure and flywheel. I really hope it is just the throwout bearing.

Problem (2) Microtech ECU - the tune / map it currently has is dismal at best. From start, idle and running, she needs a tune across the board. It literally takes more than a dozen times to get her started.
Plan (2) Learn more about Microtech ECU, post on here and look for people with same setup or have past experience with this setup. Then tune her...

Problem (3) Wiring issue - even though she was a new EZ wiring harness from the previous owner, there's lots of point in the wiring that is very questionable - wire gauges, mounting points, splice point etc. This may have to be done first prior to tuning this engine...
Plan (3) Redo the entire wiring harness - engine, under-dash and chassis harness; just to make sure we know what we have and where it's going to. Remove the big optima battery that was placed behind the radio console, and replace it with optima or braille and relocate behind the glove box for easier access. Rewire Koso RX2n gauge and work with it - for simplicities sake, I don't know why one would go to a motorcycle gauge on a car??? It is cool looking, but that's it! Rewire Innovative wide-band 02 (this one I bought a while back, and I think it's needed for tuning).

There are other issues such as but not limited to: fuel cell location, installation and wiring; 6 and 8 AN fittings for fuel lines - way overkill and currently compensating with fuel pressure regulator; homemade radiator support - square tubing held at 4 points (lol); upper and lower radiator hose - brilliantly executed??? lol - I'm probably going to go with my extra 16v water pump and redo this thing.
I'll stop there since I'm already getting a headache just thinking about it.

What did I get myself into? I guess I have really fallen for the 86!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

sounds like the cold start fuel map and subsequent "running" map is most likely the culprit. that afr range you're showing is pretty ideal for a carb'd setup with mild cams but not for an efi outfitted 4ag.

can you post up an ignition map with accompanying map/tps & rpm readings?

also, what's the startup timing?

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

I can't believe it took me this long to read your build! It's looking good! I hope you get all the little things sorted out. Those always seem to be the worse.

Man, you and arturo make me want a levin front end...
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

im levin' it
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

gobutai
Tourist

Post by gobutai »

dr.occa wrote:sounds like the cold start fuel map and subsequent "running" map is most likely the culprit. that afr range you're showing is pretty ideal for a carb'd setup with mild cams but not for an efi outfitted 4ag.
can you post up an ignition map with accompanying map/tps & rpm readings?
also, what's the startup timing?
Thanks dr. occa, and I'll try to post some photos next week since the car is with Art.

AznTKDmstr wrote:I can't believe it took me this long to read your build! It's looking good! I hope you get all the little things sorted out. Those always seem to be the worse.
Man, you and arturo make me want a levin front end...
Hey Thaison, thanks for chimming in and for the words of encouragement, and that would be awesome if you did the levin front!

Ta'tat-tat-tat-taaahhh
daveskatesallday wrote:im levin' it
Thanks daveskatesallday!

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

yeah...i want to buy a coupe and put a levin front on it.....i just needs the monies for a levin conversion.
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

wow, awesome progress!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

85levin

Post by 85levin »

dropped the trans off of alan's car today and before i did i attempted to drain it's fluid. it was completely dry(was dynoed dry!!!). had different bolts with fractional size tread holding the starter which will need to be replaced and the reason it has a high pedal is it had an incorrect slave cylinder. on the good side, it does have a toda flywheel and a trd 3 puck sprung clutch and pressure plate. i will install the trans with fresh fluid and a new slave and starter tomorrow morning, hopefully that t50 will hold for the time being.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

will it running dry mess it up or it takes a lot of abuse to ruin the t50 ?

85levin

Post by 85levin »

it definitely hurts it, more friction and higher heat build up. eventually it would have ceased up and or broken. hopefully it holds up a little longer until alan tunes the engine and works out all the bugs. it gets tough and discouraging to throw money into a non running car.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

had a similar issue with warren's: he was experiencing a weird metal-on-metal grinding when driving home with whining. he suspected his transmission. she still shifted just fine without any issues. he hadn't remembered if trans fluid was ever put in when they were re-assembling but that was at least a year ago or slightly more. i came over and we popped the fill bolt, didn't feel any fluid, picked up some syncromesh and it took @1.2qts. so it was practically dry, YIKES! anyway, we put her on the ground and by the feel and sound of things, she's ok.

i love syncromesh.