my 1985 toyota corolla

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Re: my 1985 toyota corolla

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

they're not disk brakes for that rear end on the trucks already? Then wouldnt upgrading the master cylinder to take on the new brakes be enough?
I like cars, food, and puppies.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

there is a disc brake conversion for fairly cheap using Solara/Camry rear rotors and calipers and a special bracket but they're all either 5 or 6 lug on the 8 inch. Re drilling axles isn't a big deal, but having to drill the rotors everytime you change brakes(this coming from the guy with Hondarue's big brake setup) is a p.i.t.a. I'd say Celica Supra 7.5 once again. There's guys in Europe running 600+ hp 2jz's on welded diff 7.5s and they're drag racing with it and it holds. So slightly beef up the internals and you should definitely be good to go for quite a while.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

McKenney wrote:there is a disc brake conversion for fairly cheap using Solara/Camry rear rotors and calipers and a special bracket but they're all either 5 or 6 lug on the 8 inch. Re drilling axles isn't a big deal, but having to drill the rotors everytime you change brakes(this coming from the guy with Hondarue's big brake setup) is a p.i.t.a. I'd say Celica Supra 7.5 once again. There's guys in Europe running 600+ hp 2jz's on welded diff 7.5s and they're drag racing with it and it holds. So slightly beef up the internals and you should definitely be good to go for quite a while.
i'm planning on going this route if i can find one (which i have not been able to do) all the ones listed in town are 6.7's not 7.5's. So I may end up going 8 inch just because of avalibility they also make spools and everything for the 8 inch already. The shop auto comp in dallas seems confident that they can mod the tubes and axles for me with out a major trouble as well. There are so many variables its really hard to decide on something. I plan on making aroun 600 hp in the end with this car so I need something that will last and that is easy to find parts for when it brakes.
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

86boy

Post by 86boy »

So why not go with a Ford 9" or their 8.8" from the Explorers? unless that is what you are referring to. those seem to be plentiful and parts/gear ratios are all available. Also seem to be quite a beefy rear end.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

nt66

Post by nt66 »

86boy wrote:So why not go with a Ford 9" or their 8.8" from the Explorers? unless that is what you are referring to. those seem to be plentiful and parts/gear ratios are all available. Also seem to be quite a beefy rear end.
The 8.8 is a huge pain to work with because the gears come out of the back of the housing. This makes it almost impossible to do a track side repair or change gear ratios in any reasonable amount of time. That’s why I was going to go with a 9 inch mainly because the third member can be changed as a unit like the toyota rears but the 9 inch has some major draw backs as well. It’s extremely heavy and large but its main drawback is the spot where the pinion contacts the ring. The way it’s designed it robs about 5 to 10% of your whp power which isn't a problem for 1000 hp drag cars but on my car it would take 15 to 30 hp just to turn that thing. In closing its pointless to use a ford unit when you can get a toyota 8 inch that's lighter, uses a dropout third member, can handle the hp, has aftermarket support, is not hard to find, and requires the same amount of modding as the ford units.
www.willparsonsdrift.com

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nt66 wrote:yeah i've been talking to spence as well he is the one that talked me out of a ford unit. He also told me for the power and traction that i plan on making with my car the toyota 8 inch is the best option. I still could run a 7.5 in the meantime but i still haven't found one I called both the shops mooreofit posted and they didn't know what i was talking about. I guess i'll have to drive over to them and look through there inventory. Also there a several aftermarket spools for the 8 inch

if you go through the car-part.com website you will see an inventory number. you can also email them about the inquired part right there.
Last edited by mooreofit on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nt66 wrote:
86boy wrote:So why not go with a Ford 9" or their 8.8" from the Explorers? unless that is what you are referring to. those seem to be plentiful and parts/gear ratios are all available. Also seem to be quite a beefy rear end.
The 8.8 is a huge pain to work with because the gears come out of the back of the housing. This makes it almost impossible to do a track side repair or change gear ratios in any reasonable amount of time. That’s why I was going to go with a 9 inch mainly because the third member can be changed as a unit like the toyota rears but the 9 inch has some major draw backs as well. It’s extremely heavy and large but its main drawback is the spot where the pinion contacts the ring. The way it’s designed it robs about 5 to 10% of your whp power which isn't a problem for 1000 hp drag cars but on my car it would take 15 to 30 hp just to turn that thing. In closing its pointless to use a ford unit when you can get a toyota 8 inch that's lighter, uses a dropout third member, can handle the hp, has aftermarket support, is not hard to find, and requires the same amount of modding as the ford units.

this is a major downfall. i would never put a nine inch in there it weighs about as much as 4a shortblock.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Well that is def. Good to know! Makes sense!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

i know its not cheap but it will drop alot of weight off that nine inch.still cheaper than a quickchange.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=1567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nt66

Post by nt66 »

mooreofit wrote:
nt66 wrote:yeah i've been talking to spence as well he is the one that talked me out of a ford unit. He also told me for the power and traction that i plan on making with my car the toyota 8 inch is the best option. I still could run a 7.5 in the meantime but i still haven't found one I called both the shops mooreofit posted and they didn't know what i was talking about. I guess i'll have to drive over to them and look through there inventory. Also there a several aftermarket spools for the 8 inch

if you go through the car-part.com website you will see an inventory number. you can also email them about the inquired part right there.
yeah all the ones they have listed are 6.7 celica diffs not 7.5 celica supra diffs
www.willparsonsdrift.com

nt66

Post by nt66 »

new video thanks to mister slack
www.willparsonsdrift.com

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Nice vid....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:

new video thanks to mister slack

Fixed

nt66

Post by nt66 »

thanks broski
www.willparsonsdrift.com

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Mr. Will Parsons you KICK ASS!!!!!! just thought you should know... haha!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/