86 race car build

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

toyota85ae86

86 race car build

Post by toyota85ae86 »

little back ground on this project, this is my third corolla chassis, and my first hatch. Motor was built over a 4 year or so period, and has been in 2 cars.

i first really wanted to get into drifting, never had the chance ect and then i moved out to arizona, and ive been doing track events and have been in 3 cars here in arizona haha.

my first chassis was an 85 coupe sr5, then i had a 240sx, then a 87 gts coupe and now im in an 86 gts hatch.

the hatch started as a stock gts, car came out of cali bought it from my freind here in arizona for 1800$. I transfered all parts from my wrecked gts coupe over to the hatch. took a vaction back home to washington where my built carb 16v was sitting, put it on a pallet and shipped it to arizona. spent a week in my single car apartment garage swapping motors.

car had tons of issues as with any major swap, going from EFI to carb was a pain in the arse. i made a full custom wiring harness, my own fuel system and custom fit parts.

I drove the car, had many issues, got it pretty well fixed and drove it, drifted the crap out of it. Then decided i need a cage, used tax return money to build a custom cage. I did 1 3/4" .095 wall DOM tubing, i got the materials from a friend for a discounted price and he bent up the main hoop. I then brought it over to friend efrians shop suspicious garage and went to work. This was my first cage i ever built and the biggest fabrication work ive ever done. I think it came out quite well and it was some of my first welding, and it came out decently well and it fits awesome/.

so thats where im at now, i plan on hitting as many events as i can and tearing it up. Its sad as i seem to be the only corolla in arizona drifting.

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

Chassis
86 gts hatch
welded diff
8/6 trd springs
agx
tsc tension rods
t3 camber plates
energy bushings

Engine
bluetop block
toda pistons
block shaved .040"
shot peened rods
crank ground .020"
clevite bearings
oem oil pump
internals balanced to 10k rpm
cometic h/g
head shaved .040"
1mm o/s trd valves
ported big port head
toda springs
HKS 304 cams
trd intake manifold
weber 45 carbs
old hks header
ebay 9lb flywheel
illegal garage clutch kit
t3 cam gears
toda belt
megan exhuast
msd 6al
msd fixed curve timing unit
blaster 2 coil

interior
mostly gutted
bucket seat
race tech 5pt harness
custom cluster
autometer tach, oil psi and water temp
aem wideband
custom 1 3/4" .095 wall dom tubing cage
green supra wheels
green ssr mesh for drift spares

ALWAYS adding more haha i cant ever seem to stop

erickz300

Post by erickz300 »

nice setup :shock:
im liking the green cage.
reminds me of grave digger''s green tube chasis

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

this is pretty neat and the fact that you did everything by yourself is amazing. keep up the good work.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

nice build i love how your race car has a radio and speakers lol
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

ga_goosh wrote:nice build i love how your race car has a radio and speakers lol
rear speakers no longer work becuase when i did grinding and welding they got filled with metal and no longer work hahaha.

and my buddy is buying my deck from me, so now more radio haha

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

ok nice... very nice build and the colors are awesome.

so are you running 304 cams int. and ex.?
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

CBR_TOY wrote:ok nice... very nice build and the colors are awesome.

so are you running 304 cams int. and ex.?
304 intake and 304 exhuast. its an OLD set of HKS cams, i can date them back to early to mid 90s is when HKS stopped making rediculously huge cams haha

car is crazy fun, and has so much power i estimate in the 160whp range running race gas.

im keeping up with most 240s and even a couple fast sr20det powered cars. power to weight ratio, AND i myself only weigh 115 lbs haha the car is FULLY gutted, no heat no ac no vents, no interior besides basic seats. its a fun car

couple video i forgot about
first event in this car and we basicly threw the car together and drove it 2 hours to tuscon to drift it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeUwu-v2HY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIqjjIr8 ... re=related

I was hitting it in 3rd gear BUT i wasnt going fast enough becuase the track wasnt very big as you can see so i down shifted to 2nd and it worked way better. that was the first event of the year in feb. ive been to a few since but no good video :(

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

well i picked up a new shell last night.

had to put my front wheels from my hatch on it so we could tow it home. no motor trans, its an sr5 but its super clean, came rolling on esplir springs and tokico blues, also a trunk full of parts.

plans yet......i dont know yet. have yet to decide.

basicly the shell was free a friend had it in his condo parking lot and he got an hoa violation they said it had to be gone by monday, and he already started to part it out and wanted to sell it for 200$ for the shell, then he was like man its gotta go FREE, so i came and took it. i couldnt see it go to a junkyard its such a clean car
suspicious garage

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

awesome deal and love the green wheels.... mine is also gutted to hell just waiting on my 20v swap. keep us updated

this car is awesome
JDM AE86/AE92

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

I agree this car is AWESOME!!!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

what suspension are you on... it looks a little hoppy. and at our private day that's how my car was

come in at 65 in 3rd for the long 3rd gear sweeper (left) and downshift to second

also i really like that yall had a big right entry... they never do rights in houston
JDM AE86/AE92

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

I am sitting on trd 8/6 springs cut 1/2 coil, kyb agx ss, battle version nrca, t3 camber plates, megan tie rods, tsc tension rods, and energy bushings.

the ride isnt bad, that lot is terrible. I got 3 laps before a blow out, then i swapped tires got 4 runs and blew a tire. its a terrible lot its super rough.
suspicious garage

toyota85ae86

Post by toyota85ae86 »

heres some pictures of my old coupe.

to date ive been in 4 corollas haha. First was a coupe sr5, converted gts, then i had the above orange GTS coupe, now i have the black GTS and the white SR5 shell.

i think i have an addiction to corollas. My first corolla the coupe sr5 is still around the kid i sold it to did a new motor set and stuff and drive it daily, then the coupe is wrecked haha.
suspicious garage

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

man what happened with the orange one? that sux
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM