A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I was looking at the Megalogviewer while doing some testing and found that the TPS was getting a lot of signal noise and interference while full throtte. It appears the longer you hold full throttle the more erratic the signal becomes. I've done some research and it seems I should shield my TPS wires from the tach signal wires.

I got some shielded wire from work to test with to see if this is in fact the issue. I will need ohm out the TPS and ensure it is not causing any issues as well. It also appears I have grounded my wideband incorrectly and that will need to change as well.

I believe I've also come up with a bumper mounting solution. I noticed these clips on Amazon and started researching and noticed many high profile NHRA teams as well as other racing leagues use them. Color me impressed, they seem extra simple and maybe I will finally have a nice looking quick release option for the bumper after not being able to mount it the past two or three years.

I should have some more updates this weekend, stay tuned!

RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Yep, love my quik-latches.

For bumpers: it's important to have a strong shelf for the "studs".

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

dr.occa wrote:Yep, love my quik-latches.

For bumpers: it's important to have a strong shelf for the "studs".
I was going to to use one of these two points as my mounting point for the studs.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ran some shielded wire form the TPS to the ECU and it fixed the issue I was having with noise on the TPS/AFR. I took it for a ride before I was sure if it fixed the issue and it felt like it pulled much harder. Below you will see the new logs with the TPS holding very steady, I believe it is now ready to return to the dyno.

While trying to diagnose my starting issue I replaced the ignition switch with a new one, it swapped out perfectly and we will see how things go.

Lastly, Saturday I went for a short cruise around the block and a car in front of me ran over something in the road, they didn't try to swerve to avoid it so I had no idea it was coming. It destroyed my side skirt, it really put me in a funk. It also appears to have stripped a bit of powdercoating off one of my front wheels.

More coming soon, hopefully I can get a spare set of hands to help with the bumper this week or weekend.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Hopefully that shelf on the fender will be strong enough to keep from deforming.

Good deal on the shielded wire.

As far as the skirt - I empathize by museum pieces stay in glass cases and never feel a loving touch. ;)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Sorry for lack of updates everyone. I have a lot to add but a lot going on, I will post some updates soon.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Gents, what an emotional rollercoaster these last few months have been. It feels like I've had issues just snowballing one after another now. I even fought with myself about selling the car and I'm still considering that as a smart financial move if something else expensive goes wrong.

I finally got the bumper modified to hopefully get it installed. I created some brackets but they are off by a tiny amount and our waterjet is out of the country for a few weeks for an open house. You can see below the brackets and a new version of the throttle cable that is still a bit off on length.

On the day of what would have been a sweet meet at Free Play I tried to install 4 resistors that Megasquirt said my ECU required to keep from melting my injector banks. They said to just tie them in and no worries all is good. Well I did this and my car would not start or run with normal settings. I was unable to figure it out and even after returning it to the previous setup it would not work. I thought I had ruined some injectors or the ECU itself.

I did a complete re-wire of the injector wiring a few weeks later and the car started back up and worked fine. I tested the resistors and two of them were at 10ohms and 2 were at 6ohms. I assume this had something to do with the problem, but who knows. I will have to go test the next set of resistors at a local electronics store rather than taking a companies word on them being correct.

I started tinkering with the autotune after many conversations with Dr. Occa and made some good strides in how it pulled especially at lower RPM and past 6k to redline. I was out doing some tuning on Memorial Day after a quick run to get some frozen yogurt when the rearend made a big bada boom. We've got it torn apart and the third member is definitely going to need a rebuild/replacement. I still have one axle to pull that is stuck but so far so good on removing it.

I'm replacing all the rearend bushings with the poly kit I got a few years back and I located fresh TRD 2 way LSD with a solid Weir spacer and 4.3 gearing. Once the remainder of the parts show up I will slap it all back together and hopefully be back on the road for awhile.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

In my experience, if I sell a car because it is costing to much money or taking to long I end up regretting it until I buy another one that takes twice as long and twice as much money ... and still is not done ... and in the case of my Gen 5 H22 turbo Accord ... way way way harder to find parts for anymore.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Hope you're back on the road soon Jeremy!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Sadly... he has sold the car. /thread
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

what?!

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

NOOO!!!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I know it's sad BUT it went to a good home and very talented driver: Brandem Chiasorn :tu: a friend I met through Thaison a.k.a. @AznTKDmstr.

It's already back on the road and they're making plans to bring it in to Houston for tuning.

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Talented indeed.