A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks. I bought it from a member on Club4ag, I believe he still makes them and his username was drift fab warrior.

Got everything assembled and attempted to start it yesterday, was not getting any oil pressure during cranking (With no plug wires on) but I believe the 4AG was the same way and didn't build pressure until it was running.

I then had issues getting the TunerStudio software to recognize the com port that the usb was plugged into and since I had no wifi at the garage I ended up calling it a day. Also, the text on TunerStudio does not adjust with super high resolutions so it was extremely hard to read the text on the screen to see what options, errors, etc. were on the screen.

I installed some drivers to fix the com port issues and I'm going to attempt to connect to the Megasquirt today after work and see if I can get a bit further. I'm assuming it's not starting because nothing is calibrated, we shall see.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Ooookkkay, so I got the MS to connect to the PC today, turns out it was a driver issue for the old ass serial port they use.

I'm now getting fuel, and I did a output test on the injectors and I could hear clicking, which I assume was them working. I can also smell fuel when turning it over and I have no leaks so it must be flooding the car to oblivion. I am however, not getting spark. I'm sending the tune file to MS first and if they don't see any settings wrong I will start checking the harness and such tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a start before the end of the weekend because I got some miles to put behind me before R1.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

A little update.

Been trying to start the car since last Sunday, I was having issues getting spark and rpm signal to my tach and to the MegaSquirt. Turns out you have to have the igniter grounded (MSD coil bracket did not have a place to mount it). I also had two wires crossed coming off the igniter which was causing the rpm signal to not reach the tach or MS. I am now getting spark, fuel and compression but the car still will not start.

After talking to the MS reps it turns out my unit will not control the low impedance injectors and if I try to run them it will melt the MS or the injectors. I hope I have not damaged it trying to start it. I am now looking for some small port high comp injectors or any of the the other ones that are high impedance. If you guys have any please let me know.

There is also a small water leak coming from the water pump, I'll have to take the pulleys off this weekend and make sure it's tightened down to spec. Hopefully the o-ring didn't slip when I was putting it on.

EDIT: Found a new/cheaper solution to fix the problem. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diy ... ction-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This will take half the load off the drivers and push each injector individually allowing me to keep my injectors :)

Hopefully I can find some injectors this weekend so I can get it started.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Okay, so the sequential controller showed up on Saturday and I tore the MegaSquirt apart to solder it all together. I had never soldered anything that small and was a bit intimidated by it, in the end it didn't seem to bad but it was very stressful.

Here's a picture of the controller in my hand for scale.

Here's a shot of the board beforehand.

Here's a shot of the sequential board installed on the mainboard.

I also started doing research and found that none of my DB15 outputs were wired up, so I had to put a jumper wire in for the wideband over to the O2 sensor port. I then decided to run the two new injector wires to the DB15 connector since it would be easiest to solder and wire in. You can see this on the picture above. There was also a document on wiring up the fuel pump so it is controlled by the MS unit, but I cannot figure out where to jumper it in since the AFM has been deleted.

Lastly I have updated my schematics, I'm going to leave these here in case anyone wants to run a MS/custom harness in the future. I believe this is the final revision, if things change I will update it.

84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

thanks for the updates man. Whenever I go EFI I'll definitely reference your build here. high five.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Not a problem, glad it can help someone. Just be sure that you're running a DIYPNP if you plan on using that harness schematic. Also, you don't have to run the injectors like I did unless you are using low impedance injectors and have to buy the sequential upgrade board.

If you already have high impedance injectors simply tie injectors 1 and 2 into No.20, and injectors 3 and 4 into No.10.

I finally found a document that illustrates what you need to do for it to control the fuel pump. It was exactly the same as the other document I was using before but this one had an extra line in it that stated this.
"Next, you need to add a jumper wire to the inside of your DIYPNP EMS. Connect the FUEL PUMP hole (along the edge of the mainboard) to the A5 hole on the connectorboard. Now your DIYPNP has control of your fuel pump."
This is exactly the information I was looking for and I'm unsure why they have so many documents on their site that had that line missing from them. I hope to have time this weekend to run two more wires to the injectors and I'll attempt to start it again.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

LOL.........
Attachments
my-cpu-is-a-neural-net-processor-a-learning-computer-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2[1].gif
my-cpu-is-a-neural-net-processor-a-learning-computer-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-cotton-factory-cotton-factory-2[1].gif (56.33 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

lmfao!

Well gents, after two long migraine inducing weeks it has finally started and it lopes like a mofo. I present to you, the 7AGE my crowning f*cking achievement in motorsports (Mainly because of the wiring harness). I have no other vids and the fuel leak made me not want to start it again, so enjoy, lol.

I still have to take care of a few things before I can drive it and get it insptected.

Leaking fuel on the fuel rail.
Coolant leak from my ghetto water pipe system.
Battery tie down doesn't fit the Optima Yellowtop.
drill holes for the sidemarker light.
tail lights installed.
wipers wired up.
two new injectors wired up, shrink wrapped, zip tied to the rest of the harness.
Figure out why the Rad fans aren't coming on (Could be adjustment on the thermostat).
Figure out how to set ignition timing on the MS.
Figure out how to tune the MS (Because it's running rich as hell).
Cold start injector plug.
Oil pressure hose routing and mounting.

Hope to see you guys soon at some local meets.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

hahaha nice! congrats man.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks buddy!

I finally got some pictures and video updates!

I found someone on Facebook that was able to send me a fuel rail this week and I got it put on Saturday. I've had this rail for almost a decade and never knew that this hole on the back wasn't supposed to be there, I'm honestly surprised it went that long before leaking.

I got the coil/igniter/battery area cleaned up a bit better but it's still not good enough for my standards, however, it's going to have to work until winter because I want to drive it.

I got the mishomoto fan controller working, apparently it was maxed out on temp range and that's why the fans never kicked on. Now things are working correctly and it's mounted in a nice spot I think.

Got the Radiator overflow tank mounted up in a pretty cool location. I may have to modify the bumper a bit to make sure it fits but I like it alot.

Finally got the new tails on and man it looks good.

Lastly and certainly not least my friend came through with the blockoff plate I was needing to set ignition and idle. It looks pretty sweet but I need to buy some new bolts so it looks cleaner. I've also included a video of it idling.

I just have to set the ignition timing, buy the autotune software, bleed the brakes and the clutch resevoir and I should be driving it. :)
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

It looks and sounds nice man. Big congratulations. I can't wait to see this thing in person. Hopefully we can pull off a real 8/6 meet this year ... I just checked ... it falls on a Saturday this year!

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Thanks man, yeah this should be a kickass year for 86 day. I hope they do it big like they did 5-6 years back. I hope I can figure out the front bumper before then.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Got the eyelids, wing lights, dash and hood installed last night. I then took her for a drive around the parking lot and she is in desperate need of a tune.

I also was forced to mount the oil pressure gauge in the dash vent location, I originally didn't want to do this but then I realized that the vents weren't even hooked up. I apologize for the grainy picture, I couldn't get the flash to work on my phone and it was dark in the garage.

I still have to go pick up the clips to mount the rear side marker from McKenney and I have to get it inspected and registered but all this rain is f-bombing me. I don't have the wipers wired up yet and I need tail light gaskets. I'm hoping there is a break in the rain tomorrow so I can take it but it's not looking that way.

I don't want to post any pictures up of the car until I get it washed and I'd like to wait until the bumper get's mounted, that may be a bit since I have to save up to take it somewhere to get some brackets fabricated.

Be on the lookout for me at the next cars and coffee and local meets. I'll post more updates as they come.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

morgan

Post by morgan »

awesome that its running. im a sucker for sprinter lights, they look great. as for the tail light gaskets, do what I did. buy some neoprene rubber with adhesive backing, make a cardboard cutout of the lights, and make your own. ill try to locate some pics of when I did this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301360445145?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morgan

Post by morgan »

white is the cardboard templates I made.