A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Your Toyota

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Re: A new build......seriously the stuff of legend

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Taking a little break while I'm waiting on help to arrive to pull the engine. Went ahead and got the rest of everything pulled so we could just pull the engine straight out.

Got the starter out and somewhat disassembled, I'm unsure if I'm going to rebuild or just get a new one.

TRD or Fake TRD? Who knows, still needs to be cleaned up and resprayed.

Finally got around to spraying the headlight covers Gloss Black, they were pretty rough so I cleaned em up, primered them and laid down a fresh coat. Looks pretty good.

Finally got a good look at the oil filter after pulling the headers. I think she got a tad hot, lol.

Ugly ass brown block ready to be pulled. Just waiting on more hands.

Should have more updates tonight or later this afternoon. I haven't decided where I'm going to stop today.
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Mckenney came over earlier and helped me pull the block out of the bay. I meant to take more pictures but I got a little excited when I was offered a ride in the 1uz 86. Might get some more stuff done tomorrow but we will see.

Thanks Mckenney!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

Post by yellowsnow4free »

c4ptiv3 wrote:After talking to cdixon311 about the unforeseen water pipe issue shown below I decided to find a way to clean up the look and make it look better.

I found some of these kick ass clamps at work and I think they will really hide the fact that there is a rubber hose down there.

I got pretty excited when you said you have an idea on the water pipe issue.

The black clamps definitely make it a little more discreet; what are they off of?

I was hoping you found a solution that doesn't require hose / clamps, like a solid water pipe that would fit :P But I've heard it isn't as simple as making a longer pipe; like, it needs a slight bend or something.

Saw this on the Tec-Arts site:

http://www.tecarts.com/catalog/7ag.html

EDIT:

I think I found a pic of the water pipe on a 7AG build. This one has a custom pipe connecting them:

Definitely not a straight shot between the two.

Taken from this build thread:

http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php? ... tle-peanut

TONS of great 7AG info in there. I think the guy is running 2 7AFE cam gears.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I believe we machine them in house for some of the CNC tools we make. We just had some spares so I took a few that matched, I still have to get the pipe cut in half. I wish I was better at designing things from off the top of my head but I can't waste a ton of the companies resources to "screw around" with designs or I'd for sure do it.

That Tec-Arts kit is f-bombing awesome, I wish I had the measurements on it, I could machine that little spacer for sure.

I'll have to check out that thread later, for whatever reason my company blocks all image hosting sites. It's very annoying. Great finds though, I'm excited to read more about it all.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea, I wasn't sure how you expected to hook that up. Great pic showing the two pipes not lining up right. If you have your stock pipe coming out of the water pump, you can cut that in half, then shove the top part with the gasket into the upper area, then just add a hose. My pipe was pretty old, but I threw some grey rtv around it just in case, and haven't had a single problem. Not sure it's worth the 100 bucks to ship that kit from japan.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

Yeah, I don't think the Tec-Arts kit is worth $100, but it does answer some questions. I guess you could experiment with longer pipes, and see what length of pipe allows the water outlet to line up with the head, then make a spacer.

Or, a little thing I experimented with in paint:

The 1st is an uncut pipe, followed by the pipe cut in half, then finally, a "solution".

You can't just shove a longer pipe in there and be good to go. As the pic shows, they don't line up. However, what about an angled extension? Might be a little funky, but it should work, right?

Main thing is if there's enough space to add said extension.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Yea, if you could weld in the right angle like in your pic, I think it would work. Personally I'm happy with the hose. It's not broke, so I'm not gonna fix it. That's something you can always put off till it breaks or you get bored. You haven't started the engine yet, so just strap a hose clamp on it and get that thing running!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

cdixon311 wrote:Yea, if you could weld in the right angle like in your pic, I think it would work. Personally I'm happy with the hose. It's not broke, so I'm not gonna fix it. That's something you can always put off till it breaks or you get bored. You haven't started the engine yet, so just strap a hose clamp on it and get that thing running!
I know exactly how that goes.

The only reason I'm thinking about modifying the pipe is due to the smog police; you never know with those guys...

If the Tec-Arts kit was cheaper (probably local) it might be worth the $, but otherwise I think modding the pipe would work nicely :)

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Why would smog have anything to do with your water flow? Is there some law saying you have to have a metal pipe and not a hose? If it's not over heating it shouldn't be a problem. It's not going to change your emissions at all.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

cdixon311 wrote:Why would smog have anything to do with your water flow? Is there some law saying you have to have a metal pipe and not a hose? If it's not over heating it shouldn't be a problem. It's not going to change your emissions at all.
There's no law saying you need a pipe, and not a hose, but it's just about appearing "stock" I guess.

Yes, I have an irrational fear of smog tests.

I don't want to give CA any more of my $, but due to my fear I'm tempted to buy a CA smog inspection manual (personally I think these should be free in PDF form.) That should give me a good idea of what I can and can't do to my car here.

I did find a page online of items that aren't of concern during a smog test:

You'd think they wouldn't care about cooling, but it doesn't mention anything about radiators / water cooling on that page.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

I gotcha, but still think that it's just a rubber hose on a coolant outlet. It looks stock. The only thing that doesn't look stock would be those hose clamps. Maybe you should find the stock clamps and use those instead.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

cdixon311 wrote:I gotcha, but still think that it's just a rubber hose on a coolant outlet. It looks stock. The only thing that doesn't look stock would be those hose clamps. Maybe you should find the stock clamps and use those instead.
For sure.

I definitely like c4ptiv3's idea of using the black clamps; definitely makes it less noticeable :)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

Had to do some traveling so I didn't get much done this last week but here is a few updates.

Pulled the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and brackets off the old motor (No pics sorry). I also had to return the throw-out bearing since Autozone can only get the FWD version and they also cannot get a pilot bearing so I need to source those soon.

I cleaned up the brackets with some industrial de-greaser since Simple Green and Dawn couldn't do the job.

I decided to go with a nu-cast aluminum color on the brackets since they went with the new aluminum parts on the engine already. Plus they would really pop against the black block.

I started cleaning on the engine bay but ran out of time before storms started rolling in. I have insufficient lighting in my garage and didn't want her to get beat up by hail. Here's a pre-shot of the bay.

Here's an after shot showing what that industrial de-greaser can do.

And of course I had to get a shot of her outside for the first time since Halloween, she needed the fresh air.

I hope to finish up the bay this week as well as get the water pipe modified so I can finish assembling the engine. If the bay cleans up as good as it did above I may not re-spray it since I can't afford it right now.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a pilot bearing and a throw-out bearing please let me know, thanks!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

yellowsnow4free
Tourist

c4ptiv3 wrote:Image
Hey c4ptiv3,

Are you still building a 7AGE? If so, how are you planning to utilize the block to bellhousing braces? I thought they didn't fit with the 7AFE oil pan...

Also, what degreaser did you use? Your engine bay looks great; I need to use that on mine! :)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

You know what, I didn't even think about those stabilizers not working with the oil pan, I guess I can just remove them from the equation completely. Wish I would have thought of that before I spent a few hours de-greasing and spraying those parts, lol.

As for the de-greaser, I can't remember the name off hand but I'll get a picture of it as soon as I can. I know I got it at O Reilly's.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST