Justin Hosek and his FOYOBISHI AE86/4G86!!!!!

Decided to yank the "A" out from between the 4 & "G" and toss in a "63" into the mix? Well, whether it's a 4G, 6G or any other member of the "Mitsubishi Motors" engine family, you're more than welcome to call this section home.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

supra_750

Justin Hosek and his FOYOBISHI AE86/4G86!!!!!

Post by supra_750 »

A new start on something really big and different...

as many of you know ive been laying low and not giving much info on my new swap for the 86. feel like i missed so much last year it killed me to sit out but it was needed to get me financially ready and to get my other projects (supra, my girlfiends aw11 and sw20) more along to as they were all hurt alittle bit haha.

anyway here is some progress on my car i really wanted it done for round 1 but not looking like it as im waiting on the rear end to get done and new ecu, also figuring out waterlines think im going electric waterpump (racecah). gunna get alot of love and hate for this build but its ok i know its boss and will make more torque than f20 or 1uz.

think it will be called...... the Foyobishi
my corolla isnt much of a corolla anymore!!

link to my old built 20v build thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2646

so the story starts something like this:

messing around with robert turnbow's 1g eclipse gsx we were going to build it as a drag car for fun, i have always like the 4g63 motor and never thought much of it in anything else i knew they were strong and built to take alot of crap (6 bolt) so looking into the motor made me wonder hmmmmmm...

so driving home from corpus one day started thinking, man could i fit one in my ae86? what trans? what rearend to hold the power?
looking on the web and talking it over with robert only saw little info on a few people that have done it in a ae86. im not even sure if there is one in texas that has the 4g63 in a ae86.

so it was done dove head first into it had enough info all i needed was planning and time.
bought a 1g laser from a guy in n. san antonio that was said "running" went up there it wasnt he said it got hot so got a good price on it. took it home and pulled the motor. found out later the engine bay must have CAUGHT ON FIRE!!! hot he said haha

BTW this motor is not the one in the end, the head was warped beyond repair and the 4 piston was a little lower than the rest so had to buy another motor i got off a buddy.

what a B****

then the start of test fit

looking at different weights of transmissions from r154, and w56, the t5 was wayyyy lighter and had so much more aftermarket support. when it blows up im going dog box gears
then the cool parts were on order. i got with a guy that made custom bell housings for 4g63's in little roadster and cool cars named Bill Hitchner. he makes all kinds of them and asked if he had made one for a Ford T5 trans he said he could.
finally got in the bell housing i was in awwwee he did such a great job. made a sand cast aluminum and super strong.

this is where it got fun. measuring.... getting it straight and centered

after we got it where i wanted it, i hoped the cam gears didnt hit the hood because i didnt want to lower my cross member like you have to do with f20 and 1uz. started making my mounts out of cardboard once i had them transfered to some beefy metal and had a friend weld them up nice and solid. so it came out LIKE A BOSS and only have to cut the skeleton of the hood :)

pic of the greddy 18g rob is letting me borrow

now this is the fun stuff started ordering and getting everything else figured out like rwd intake manifold and what i was going to run axle wise/ how can i make it not break under stress of drifting and maybe some drag hahaha

custom street rwd JMFab intake manifold and 75mm throttle body

no balance shafts here GSC eliminator kit, FFWD DKS yes DKS! 264/272 cams and BC Valve springs

got a sponsor Comp Clutch gave me a nice deal on a custom 6 puck 4g63 clutch with a ford t5 center hub and 4g63 pressure plate.

then there was the Ford 8.8 stuff forget a celica supra rear end this is real sh*t
tapered bearings for non straight line stuff

ford 9" housings so no c clip bull crap

3.73 gears so it will be pleanty of gear and match the t5 gearing awesome
way bigger than the little stock corolla gears

going to run dual caliper setup in the rear, so some how i asked the right person at a pick a part for some help on 8.8 info just so happen he had what i was lookin for and set me in the right direction and made some bad ass dual caliper brackets. thanks again my friend Chris Neighbors!!

able to run my 15" rims with dual sn95 mustang cals.

now axles yeah went over board but damn beef house all the way
strange 35 spline custom length axles to make the 8.8 the same width as a stock rolla rear. and a 35 spline spool so no welded diff here!!!

diff cover says it all......

now some clean up and getting ready for it to be in the car also decided to go electric water pump so no thermostat housing and no pullies... RACECAR.
-16 an water lines

FFWD stainless studs and got a copper gasket

bro u got flat dark earth haha thought i came out pretty nice! and different
coil on plug also add a flare

thats about where i stand with it wanted to get this out so kinda been slackin but motor im hoping will be in next week then take the car to marty for 8.8 4link brackets.
Last edited by supra_750 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: new build ready for some power 4G86 Foyobishi!!!!!

Post by dr.occa »

Bad ass first post build thread Justin! :tu:

Lovin' the coffee colored cam cover and black coil mounting plate and coils.

Strange Engineering Ford Axles: :tu:

I think the 8.8 diff housing is bigger than the car ;)

Jay_ATX
Tourist

Post by Jay_ATX »

Good god, that's a monster of a rearend for the rolla. May I ask what the power goals on this motor is?

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

YES. This makes me realllllllll happy
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

looks good and lots of pics and good info...

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I know mildly modded 4G63's making well over 400hp. Doesn't take a lot to make power with them. Done right, they're pretty reliable too.

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

Very interesting I want to see how it turns out.
http://facebook.com/86levin

supra_750

Post by supra_750 »

thanks guys ya shooting for 400 to the wheels anything more than that will be overkill and just debelt tires. shouldnt be too hard 400 isnt much on these motors and with the cams should make tons of torque.

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

damn pretty.... good luck with the build.

supra_750

Post by supra_750 »

new pics soon to come did my radiator and have the waterlines setup for the electric water pump. ordered a double backdoor intercooler to make it clean. been such a pain

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

^^^^ looking forward to seeing the new updates and pics..

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Cool about the electric water pump. I modified the Mr. Gasket unit to work with my 16V. I need to fab up a better bracket to keep the electric motor more stable. It ended up burning out due to making contact with the inside of the housing.

supra_750

Post by supra_750 »

heres a update

start of the trans. bellhousing uses the 4g63 fork and pivot ball

ford t5 throw out bearing i belive

toyota slave think a ra22

water block off that i later tapped for my coolant temp

trying to fab up my radiator support to bolt back on

flywheel was machined to allow the input shaft to go through to pilot bearing that came in the kit from bill
comp clutch installed thank you again

now for some good stuff
motor mounts i made
trans mount
set it in there
coming together

had to beat in the booster a bit

how i wanted it ended up not working the way i needed it to for the water lines looked nice tho

so i though i need a smaller radiator that will hopefully work. so i fabed up a new cross brace and slanted the rad to make it a little better for lines and running a double back door intercooler

how it sits and i just now painted it

Zissou
Tourist

Post by Zissou »

I've seen a couple people going to these Honda half size radiators and I really don't understand why. Especially with the thermal load you'll have once the motor is making big power.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 4g63 a reverse rotation engine like all older Hondas were? I know there were 4g64 rwd versions, but no 4g63's that I know of. I know Buschur has a rwd 4g powered Talon.