MAF Meter?Sensor help.....

Wiring, harnesses, factory and after market management, ignition, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

MAF Meter?Sensor help.....

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

Could I swap my MAF meter with a MAF sensor that has the same pinout signals?? I want to try to delete my MAF meter and use a sensor that doesn't use a flap. I want to put a custom cold air intake that doesn't involve the big ass meter box. Anyone try this yet?
Last edited by ColorollaAE86 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morgan

Re: MAF Meter?Sensor help.....

Post by morgan »

that might be a tough one. i know you cant swap AFM's from different cars, because the values they spit out are different. might be more trouble than its worth, BUT if you get something to work, that would be pretty sweet! but keep in mind, that AFM measures air flow & air temp. rewiring might be needed.

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

I know it needs rewiring. I planned on get a maf sensor with the connector to swap over. I'm going to cut my connector off, rewire the new connector in, and install the new maf sensor. I just need to find a maf sensor that has the same diagram as my connector.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

What morgan pointed out will be your biggest hurdle: output signals need to match that of the original AFM and what the ecu is looking for to interpolate its maps properly. Even if they're close and just slightly off, it could be a poorer running car or a slightly "better" running one. You won't be able to tell if it's "better" unless on a dyno but you'll be able to tell if it's worse or factory.

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

That is a risk I am willing to take. But, then again, I won't get rid of the original air flow meter if everything doesn't work out. I'm willing to give it a try, and if it works, I would definitely share it if it works and gives a noticeable gain. If not, I would probably still share it.