HELP!!! ignition problem

Wiring, harnesses, factory and after market management, ignition, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

HELP!!! ignition problem

Post by drift »

Ok, so i everything is hooked right that i know of. Engine turns over/cranks and is getting good comp but doesnt seem to be getting any spark. I tested it with a meter and was not getting anything from ignitor to coil so i grounded it and got power but still not getting any spark out of the coil pack. It would get hot so i would have to turn the car off and let it cool down. I tried taking the spark plug wire that goes to the distributor cap off and check to see if it is sparking but its not. Can anyone help me with this.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Re: HELP!!! ignition problem

Post by mooreofit »

could be a few things. i would see if the ignitors getting the signal from the pcm. if no signal check crank cam angle sensor signal to pcm.(this is if everything else is good ie. power and grounds to and from ignitor and othe related parts.)
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

drift

Post by drift »

Everything looks to be ok. Im getting power to the coil but its not sending it to the distributor. Im gonna check everything again(grounds, power, etc..) then the pcm. Also, where is the crank angle sensor and what is this signal im looking for. Is it 12v and i just checking th continuity.

Thanks, hopefully i can get it up and running before our first event

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

the coil will stay hot untill the ignitor grounds the coil and this will send spark to the distributor.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

drift

Post by drift »

Ok, so everything checked out just fine. I did noticed that when i first started the engine. It spark at the ground cable on the batt but was fine after that. I even put the cable coming from the ignitor to ground to see if i see spark but nothing happens. Im getting ppwer to my relays also. You think a bad relay might have something to do with it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Check that a thin black wire that is part of the harness on the distributor side of the motor is not broken/snapped or disconnected. Also double check all your fuses.

drift

Post by drift »

First thing i found was i had a blown 10a fuse in the relay box that was for the engine but that was when i first started the motor a few months ago and its been replaced and checked a few times and is fine. On that black small thin wire. You dont happen to have a photo do you. Ill look up on it also but i dont think i have that.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

All 86s have that thin black wire.

drift

Post by drift »

here are some pics.
distributor with plug
on this pic. the plug next to the dizzy plug is the ac. if you follow the harness to where it joins or till it gets to the fourth spark plug wire. there is a greenish yellow wire that just comes out. that wire did not go to anything or have anything on it. i left it like that but now am wondering if that is the small black wire. and if you look towards the firewall on the upper right hand side. there is a blue and gray plug that connects to each other. it doesn't go there but was short so i put it there. it actually goes next to the coil but i didn't think i would matter.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

have you tested your ignitor and coil start witht he basics. ONce they test good start folowing hte system backwards. Eventually you will find it
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

drift

Post by drift »

thanks for the help guys. i pulled all my ground cable and replaced them with new ones and it started to start up and also getting spark now(how i know, got shocked the shit out of me lol). i did go back and check the old grounds and they were good except for one that if i wiggle it. i would momentarily lose continuity. i think that was the culprit.

now to the other problem. if i have it hooked up to the fuel pressure regulator it would not start or even attempt to start, but if i run the fuel line straight to the fuel rail and keep pushing the gas pedal. it would start but have a high idle(around 2-3 thousand rpm) i tried adjusting the timing but it wouldn't help. also when i give it gas the car would die.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

drift wrote: also when i give it gas the car would die.
check ur tps sensor.. that happen to me cause it was put on the wrong way... i would accelerate and the car would die unplugg it and accelerate it by hand at the throttle body and if work just take the tps off and make sure its put on the right way... sorry i can no help u on the other stuff... But i am sure some one else will chime in.... good luck :mrgreen:

drift

Post by drift »

joel26 wrote:
drift wrote: also when i give it gas the car would die.
check ur tps sensor.. that happen to me cause it was put on the wrong way... i would accelerate and the car would die unplugg it and accelerate it by hand at the throttle body and if work just take the tps off and make sure its put on the right way... sorry i can no help u on the other stuff... But i am sure some one else will chime in.... good luck :mrgreen:
Ill give it a try when i get the other proeblem fixed first. Thanks