A/C Problem, need help identifying issue

Wiring, harnesses, factory and after market management, ignition, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

corollaman

A/C Problem, need help identifying issue

Post by corollaman »

The A/C kicks on for a few seconds, and then not work, A/C light flashes, so I don't know if its a problem with the climate control amplifier or something i don't know about. (Also, this is a JDM RHD Levin so I dont know if the a/c lines, compressor, things like that are in a different area than on the corolla gts for USDM)

more info: A/C is charged, when it does work, the pressure is good and the fans turn on

Is this maybe a bad sensor, or bad compressor? are there any relays or any fuses anything like that that controls the a/c? let me know (and where would this be located) any thoughts on this? thanks everyone!

UPDATE: not a a/c recharging issue as I was driving 70, and the A/C started to work and blow ice cold, but maybe 20-40 minutes of driving, the A/C Button started to flash and stopped working. I don't know if it has something to do with how fast I am driving, I don't know....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: A/C Problem, need help identifying issue

Post by dr.occa »

You may have a box that sits behind the glove box that has a little potentiometer knob on it that you adjust for when the a/c turns on/off at a particular rpm. Also, there's a wire that may connect from the ignitor or coil that connects to that same box I mentioned that may be brittle or loose.

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

also, does anyone know where the A/C Amplifier is?

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

its the little box that Jonas is talking about.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

There should be a big, green, round connector with about 5 wires by the coil/ignitor. One of the wires should be a 12-14 gauge black/orange wire that provides ignition power. The thinner black wire in that particular group is the one that connects to both the amplifier and the tach. Check there.

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

Okay, I'll look there, one other question. In my service manuals, there is something about an 8 pin connector, and mine has a 12 pin connector, is it supposed to be like that? Also, what I am I seeing there, this is in regards to the a/c as well.

Thank you Jonas for all your help, I will do some more troubleshooting when I get can later today.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

corollaman wrote:Okay, I'll look there, one other question. In my service manuals, there is something about an 8 pin connector, and mine has a 12 pin connector, is it supposed to be like that? Also, what I am I seeing there, this is in regards to the a/c as well.

Thank you Jonas for all your help, I will do some more troubleshooting when I get can later today.
Sorry, I don't know what 12 pin connector you're referring to. Where exactly is it suppose to be?

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

anybody in Austin, TX that wants to help me out ;) (lunch/dinner is on me)

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

Hello again!

Jonas, I have a question for you. I am leading to suspect that this is more the culprit of the RPM/Speed sensor that is supposedly connected on/in/under the compressor. Am I correct in this information or is it somewhere else? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you!

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

Here is some info from club4ag:

Also, the clutch on the compressor engages, but then stops working and a/c shuts off

Well, it WORKS, and then it DOESN'T WORK, so that means an intermittent problem or condition, as opposed to something flat out broken.

When AC works, the freon is being compressed and then flowing and expanding again, all in a closed loop cycle. For that cycle to be interrupted I think there' sonly tow things that can happen.

First, the compressor may be kicking out and not compressing the freon. that could be a bad compressor clutch (separate part, hard to obtain a replacement) or the wiring or pressure switch or speed sensor switch, any part of that could interrupt power to the compressor clutch and then the compressor would stop turning and the AC stop. AND the AC switch should blink to indicate a speed error or someother problems--no one seems to have a full ist of what can make it blink except "bad stuff".

So that's one shop check to make, run the car and AC, and when it stops blowing cold & starts blinking, quickly look under the hood to see if the compressor clutch has stopped. If it has, rig up a manual power cord to it, see if feeding it 12V+ will engage the clutch and make the system run again.

The doesn't mean bypassing all the safeties is a good fix--there may be a reason they are cutting off the power! But it will tell you if the problem is the compressor cutting out, as opposed to:

The other problem can be a blockage. The system can form ice, typically at the evaporator orifice(?) if there is moisture in the system, or too much gas. If the system was repaired recently and someone did not change the receiver/drier, that could be all it takes to freeze it up. The solution is purge the system, replace the r/d, and refill the system again.

I'd guess a remote third is that the ac amplifier (that's just got to be a lousy translation!) is keeping the system running too cold, but AFAIK these systems are so underpowered there's no way to freeze it up by running it for hours and hours on end, unless there's something else wrong like moisture in the system.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I really think your best bet is to take it to an a/c shop that HAS YEARS OF EXPERIENCE and has worked on 80's Toyotas. The experience should minimize troubleshooting time they may or may not charge you for.

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

I will do that Jonas. Does you or anyone in Austin know about a good A/C shop?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Unfortunately I can't make a recommendation since I don't live there. Maybe hit up the BBB.

corollaman

Post by corollaman »

ordered part number 88890-32010, pick up away, or the revolution/rpm sensor. Will try to see if this fixes the problem....