Megasquirt and DLI setups

Wiring, harnesses, factory and after market management, ignition, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

Megasquirt and DLI setups

Post by c4ptiv3 »

ok guys, I have found more informative threads on this website than any other Corolla site. Now let's see how good you really are. I'm looking to Megasquirt my 4AGTE with DLI. What is the best way to go about doing this? I've seen people that just block off the distributor hole and go about it a different way and I've read of using the DLI harness off a 4AGZE to accomplish as well. Anyone have any experience in this area?
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

the easiest way to do it is to keep the distributor and use the stock sensors. you can cap the "cap and wires" part off with an aluminum plate and will deacrease the heat to the sensors which should be fine with the heat.. you will be able to use the edis coils still. or cops if you wanted too.

another way would be to run the 36-1 toothed reluctor wheel and vr sensor from the ford(or whatever else) and the megasquirt can use this signal to fire the coils.but beware the noise filtering device is week and acceptible to issues. this is what i did and run into problems. might not be a noise issue but something else. im sending my box back to diy and having them look at it.

another way would be the complete edis setup. the vr sensor a reluctor wheel and ignition module and coils.if you are determined to get rid of the dizzy completely than this is your best way as the noise filter built into the edis module is far superior to the megasquirt unit and the vr sensor gap will still feed with no issues up to 2.5 inch gap!!!!standard is .008 to .012.

i got my car (4afe) motor to start and run just fine and tuned the afr. i got all my ve tuning done and started the accelleration enrichment tuning and i found my problem. every time snapped the throttle the car would bog down. it was like the ignition was cutting out completely. i thought it was just the acceleration enrichment being not tuned but no matter what i did to the accell enrichment the problem percisted. i worked with the guys from diy autotune for months trying to figure it out to no avail. it was like the acceleration enrichments made no differance at all no matter what i did. i also tried pulling up the ve tables where i snapped the throttle but this made no differance in the problem but did make it richer in the problem area so i am fairly sure it was an ignition issue.

the point being megasquirt is not for the beginner. if you are not very comfortable with wiring and troubleshooting than i would go with a haltech or something a little easier to deal with.

if you are determined to go megasquirt theres tons of info on diyautotune.com including 4age articles.

that being said im no pro at megasquirt but i am very familiar with it. theres at least two guys i know of that have had very little problems with it will parsons(nt66) and chris (madeinthe80's) also jonas (dr.occa) has assembled a few and has experience with the unit.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

When I was looking at the option of a DLI setup I wanted to use the camshaft position sensor from the later model gze (as you mentioned) to get signal from mainly because I wanted a very OEM look to my setup. Using the whole harness from the gze wouldn't be necessary.

Mark (mandm177) has a super-clean distributer cover for his 20v setup that caps off the top of the stock 20v dizzy and just uses the signal to tell the coils when to fire (as mooreof it mentioned).

Onto a tangent... I brought up the idea while helping Mark with swap a couple of weeks ago that I should borrow his cover and try to machine a replica but maybe I should look into machining a simular cover for the 16V dizzy's :idea: :?:

A phone call is about to be made to Jonas :lol:
85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

if Haltech is easier to setup and run compared to megasquirt, that will probably be the direction I head. I just needed more info on the different solutions for the DLI setup. I'm leaning more towards the late model 4agze setup just to tell it when to fire. Once again, great info in this forum!
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

do you already have the dli setup? if so you can use the stock ignition setup. just use the toothed wheel decoder to figure out your spark settings.

ive never worked with haltech but it seems to be slighly easier to setup from what ive read.

also if you have a gze ecu than piggybacks will be your easiest route. piggybacks are not recomended for n\a cars going turbo couse the stock ecu is trying to get the afr back to 14.7 or close to it while the piggyback is adding more fuel. the piggyback modifies the stock pulsewidth signals and after time the stock pulewidth signal will just keep lowering as the ecu tries to get the afr back to 14.7(or close to it) this is not the case with a boosted ecu like the gze as the afr's are leaned towards a boosted car so if your shooting for a 12.0 afr so is the stock ecu so not to many issues here.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_inf ... ts_id=1557

I do like my megasquirt, but if I had the money, thats what I would have gotten. Why go dli? Im going to be going 4agte soon and just plan on running the stock ignition system for now.

The most I'll do ignition wise is get a better cap(if they make em) and better coil. I already have TRD wires so as long as I keep the burn good I dont see a reason to go big ignition. I know the DIYPNP now has an add on card for a sequential ignition setup as well.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diyp ... p-386.html
86 GTS 4AGTE

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

86 GTS 4AGTE

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Now reading that post I want to try out the diypnp wasted spark setup and go cop.

Aaron,
Might have a guinea pig for a 16v.
86 GTS 4AGTE

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

I'm liking the idea of using the stock ignition setup to figure out the spark timing. I've got some time to decide what I want to do, but as I get closer to finishing I need to figure the pros and cons of each setup versus what is the easiest. and no I don't have the DLI setup. Still running the stock large port, but now I have the block and head for the turbo setup.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

for me the major con would be sourcing replaceable parts as things eventually break (3rd law of thermodynamics i believe).

EDIS is the more attractive option due to readily available and affordable parts.

Megasquirt w/ DLI seems doable but ideally EDIS is tried and true w/ MS. as mr. dupree (MadeInThe80s) had already pointed out, the MS plug-n-play setup also has an option for sequential firing.

will has already proven that his MS has held up to D1 competitive abuse.

there's nothing wrong with wanting to make use of the DLI system. if you notice though, in that C4AG thread where VitriumGTS opened the topic for discussion, we all eventually veered away from DLI.

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Im this || close from picking up that sequential ignition module for my DIYPNP.

Ive really got to finish what Ive started so far though first!!!!

Looks like I graduated to Mr. DuPree as well ;)
86 GTS 4AGTE

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

has anyone swapped out air sensors while using megasquirt? The current system seems really congestive for a turbo setup. Any ideas to remedy this?
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

air sensors? the megasquirt has a built in map sensor that deletes the the afm and i ran a gm mat sensor.

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Yes, delete the stock AFM and just use the megasquirts MAP sensor. You have to add a GM IAT sensor but its cheap and diyautotune sells em.
86 GTS 4AGTE

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=57293

Pics of said sensors/removal here.
86 GTS 4AGTE