NRG short hub and quick release install

Aero, body styling, in-car entertainment, visual aesthetics...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yashiro86

NRG short hub and quick release install

Post by yashiro86 »

Hey fellow 86ers! So I got an NRG short hub, quick release, and steering wheel from my awesome wife for my bday! I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these before? Is it easy? Or a two man job or did you take it to a shop? I saw a video on youtube and it looked fairly easy for my level of mechanical know how, which isn't the best lol. I just don't wanna mess anything up :/
Thanks guys!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: NRG short hub and quick release install

Post by dr.occa »

It should be an easy install so long as you have the correct sockets. A steering wheel puller helps sometimes if your wheel is really difficult to coax off.

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

baaa hum bug just use a 4 way and KEEP the nut on at least 3 threads.......then go ape shit pulling on the wheel.
http://facebook.com/86levin

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

yashiro86 wrote:Hey fellow 86ers! So I got an NRG short hub, quick release, and steering wheel from my awesome wife for my bday! I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these before? Is it easy? Or a two man job or did you take it to a shop? I saw a video on youtube and it looked fairly easy for my level of mechanical know how, which isn't the best lol. I just don't wanna mess anything up :/
Thanks guys!
it isn't hard BUT you will have to grind down the back of the hub if you want the horn to work b/c if you install it as is (out of the box) when you turn the wheel the horn will go on and off lol

there's a writeup on club4ag somewhere
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Hmmm so its not too hard?? That's good news! Although the grinding down the hub, do you know how much? I did see the write up but when I saw it,it didn't have pics and I'm a visual person :/ lol but I think ill try it if I can see how much to grind and with what and maybe ill do a write up!!

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

last time i checked they had pics if i can find it i'll post the link

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Sweet thanks Dave!

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

you are right about the pics, well it used to have pics @_@

but anyway it's pretty straight foward if you look at the stock wheel (im assuming that's what you have) there are the two contact points on the wheel where the turn signal plunger looking things meet, they look like two small circles the idea is to grind down enough on the nrg hub to the point where the plungers stay in the grooves. The problem with the nrg design is they have the grooves BUT they aren't deep enough so the turn signal cancel plungers slide out of the groove once you turn the wheel SO you basically have to grind into it enough to where they stay. I found some of the existing pics it's all you'll really need to focus on after it's grinded down enough you'll be fine, you'll know when it's good because the horn won't honk when you are turning the wheel haha

i tried to make an example hopefully this helps you, the highlighed is the grooves you need to grind down, and on the edges you'll need to grind them down some so that plate fits flush on the back of the hub (last pic) don't grind down too much because you can only take off and can't add on so grind it down some and check it and repeat until it fits good, aside from that once you got it everyhing else is good to go

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

AWESOME! Thank you so much!!! the only thing else i need to know is how you grinded down the hub? Again thanks for all the info dude!!!

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

you're welcome man glad i could help :tu:

and any type of angle grinder or whatever works just take your time it sucks thinking you have to grind a new part down but when it's all on you won't ever see it anyway

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

OK! I finally installed the wheel!!! OOOOHHHH MAN! I was a pain in thee ass to get it just right :/ the actual install took like 30-45mins but overall it took me like 3 hours!!! Ill explain in the write up! But I still have one problem...the horn doesnt work Im wondering if you couldnt help me out again dave!!!

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

hmm horn doesn't work but it previously did? could depend on how far you grinded the back down, you have pics?

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Yea it used to work and update, the turn signals get stuck lol. I did a write up I think Jonas moved it to the how to section

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Here's the link Dave
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks again!

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

yashiro86 wrote:Yea it used to work and update, the turn signals get stuck lol. I did a write up I think Jonas moved it to the how to section
i see i see, i think if you milled too much or too little it depends, one of those things i'd have to see in person because the red ring with he two prongs it grabs on to the back of the hub and has a cancel once you turn it so much, but if it's stuck it could cause it not to cancel it really depends