Protecting Carbon Fiber Parts

Aero, body styling, in-car entertainment, visual aesthetics...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

Protecting Carbon Fiber Parts

Post by mandm177 »

So I'm getting some new carbon fiber parts for my car. I was wondering what the best way to protect them is? I've heard things like an extra coat (or coats) of clear, some kind of sealant, waxing many many times, and just plain, don't leave your car out in the sun. My hood is badly oxidized, and i'm trying to prevent that on the new parts that i'll be putting on.

Any ideas?

oh, i don't want cover it up with Vinyl Wrap or paint it body color.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Protecting Carbon Fiber Parts

Post by dr.occa »

Garage it. Car covers suck.

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

already garaged...but what about when i drive it to work?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You could an extra coat of clear. My SEIBON hood fogged over when it was out in last years drought except for one spot that I had put a generous portion of clear trying to repair a spot.

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

speaking of your hood and seibon...how do you like it? also, don't suppose you have a hookup for seibon or vis carbon hoods?

:mrgreen:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

SEIBON hoods have been good to me. I've only owned 2 and only needed 2. One was for my Honda which was sold of years ago. The 2nd was for my 86 hatch. I had a cinder block fall on it (hence the drive way repair ;) ) and still in good shape. It only fogged due to being constantly under the burning sun this past year. Before that, it was under just a car port for YEARS.

I wish I had a good hook up to tell you about Mark. Sorry. I paid a little over $600 for mine shipped several years ago. I just need to get it re-cleared and it'll be as good as new...sort of.