The proper way of putting jdm sides skirts (I think)

Aero, body styling, in-car entertainment, visual aesthetics...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

a.k.a.vene

The proper way of putting jdm sides skirts (I think)

Post by a.k.a.vene »

OK so ive been wanting side skirts for my car for ages!So whe i saw an oportunity on buyING a set...I took it!So lets start with wat do u need to complete this install:

1-Image
AN AE86, doesnt matter sr5 or GTS
2-Image
Da sides skirts
3-Image
Rib nut tool n safety glasses(ur goin to need these)
4-Image
EZ grip I didnt want to scratch the skirts(optional,U could call ur best friend and get him of the couch and enjoy the weather n help u out)
5-Image
Drill and dead blow, n some drill bits:1/8,3/16,3/8 where the ones i use, cause of the size of the rib nuts i was using.
6-Image
Impact(otional, u could do it the old fashion way "IF U WANNA")
7-Image
Hardware.
8-Image
Monster!!make sure u have enough of these!!!I ran out so, dont do my mistake
9-Image
Skill saw(optional,again do it da old way if u wanna)
10-Image
Make sure u get 1 of each, this is a very nice piece!U NEED TO HAVE 1!ATLEAST 1!!!!!!!
TILL IT REDLINES HACHI!!!!!!!!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

a.k.a.vene

Re: The proper way of putting jdm sides skirts (I think)

Post by a.k.a.vene »

Ok so first u have to get da car up on da jackstance.One side at a time.

I did not put jackstance n a car jack,cause i always though if ur goin to work on a car u allways need it.Its like goin to work without putting ur clothes on! u know wat mean.

Take the skirt out of there pretty good packeging(Optional,the sender might send it in a crappy packeging.Mines were packeged AWESOMELY GOOD!).After that is test fitting time, but if you have the metal plastic looking thing that goes around the fender, then not yet.In my case i did.So took it out.This is how it looked at test fitting.
At the rear of the skirt has a hole that matches the same holes,that factory put in.So put a screw in there n move to the front while still holding the skirt.U dont wanna it to break on bend, while u get up n move to the other side.Once ur in the front, grab ur EZ grips n clamp the skirt n the fender together.Make sure u make it line up,as much as possible.My skirts where used so not all the lines match but,it was may be of by a 1/16 or a tigh 1/8 all around the bottom lines of the bottom of the door.Youll see what i mean when you do it.These is how mine looked.

After that then,get ur drill n mark where u want ur holes.If the skirt sags in the middle , then push it up.To the level that u want it n mark ur holes.
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

ok, mandatory union break!i will keep posting after the break!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

I like the step by step, waiting for more..... (taps foot) :D
I like cars, food, and puppies.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

ass in gear son.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That's taking the initiative vene. If I may make a suggestion, rather than using your drill to mark where you want your mount points, how 'bout a center punch. They're affordable and readily available.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

yeaaaa
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

Dat is true jonas!But the only thing i dont like about the center punch(sometimes,im picky about A LOT OF STUFF)when ur making a mark dat has a lot of scratches n dents n xtra coating n more bs on top of all dat. I cant find where i mark it.Plus when "I" use a drill the bit gives me about a 6 to 8 inch clearence.Dat means im further back from watever i am marking, n could do some last moment adjustments.But i have a center punch n i love it,but sometimes it aint long enough...................SHUT UP PLP!!!!!!!!I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT!!!Stay focus on the whole reason of the thread.
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

so you bought those skirts..... nice

this is way more than i would've done but i'm a minimalist ha ha
JDM AE86/AE92

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

All right Break is over!!OK after marking all ur holes take the skirt down carefully.Remember, this ur skirt!If it doesnt look right is ur fault!So make sure ur happy with ur line up,this is a visual install.So theres going to be real noticeble when u park it or driving it.Take pride on wat u do n when install something on ur car.The differences(in my opinion) between a ricer n a jdm car is a lot!Ricer just puts it on cause is cool,but it doesnt really look right or good.JDM our stuff is emaculate!We stive for perfection!But thats another thread.this is how mines looked.
Now u make ur holes.Its allways good to make a pilot hole.A pilot hole is a small hole,dat would make it ez for u when ur making a hole bigger.The pilot whole is also used for making it perfect,from where u marked.when using a bigger drill bit, u tend to move side ways or up n down.Pilot whole makes it dead center.
after making the wholes the proper size u need for ur ribbed nuts, then start prepping ur ribbed gun setter.When prepping the rib gun u shouldnt screw the ribbed nut all the way in.U should have it 3/4 screwed in.The wholes shouldnt be bigger ther the ribbed nut,so u need to kinda tap the end of the gun to push it in.Do not hit it with a meta hammer,hit it with a dead blow.After u got it in,squeze the living crap out of the gun.then unscrew it out n ur done puting a ribbed nut in ur car.It should not whigle or move.If it does it could be a couple of things:Didnt squeze the gun all the way,the whole was to big.There are fixes for both of these problems.Take the old ones out n put bigger ribbed nuts in.
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

very proper looking.... these should look sweet! i wish my car looked half as good as some on here ha ha
JDM AE86/AE92

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

All right last post to end this of the install.OK u got ur ribbed nuts in n set, grab the skirt n ur hardware n get every thing prep.
All right , now just put the skirt up n bolt it in.
If prepped right , it will look good.Plus give ur self a hand.U just did the hard part of the instal.
Now the last step for this side, is putting the plastic looking metal piece that goes on the fender.Ur goin to have to cut it or just leave it like it is.................I dont think it looks good.Wat do u think?
Anyways grab the metal piece n kind see where u need to cut it, so u could put it back up.So it looks like the skirt has allways been there.Since day 1 in 1986.after marking the metal piece, cut it .Make sure u use ur safety glasses.Even if ur using a hand saw.Debry from cutting-1 vs My beautiful Face-0.dont worry nothing serios girls.I still look awesome.After cutting it PUT IT ON DUDE!!!!WAT U WAITING FOR!!!!
Now the very las thing is the front plastic covers that are suppose to come with the kit(i think).The ones that i got werent from factory but i made them work,differently then the previos owner.So just do dat how it best suits u.Ok for the other side repeat all steps n ur done.Good luck with ur installs.
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

very cool... i need me some aftermarket skirts
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

CBR_TOY wrote:very cool... i need me some aftermarket skirts
you had some!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

i know i know.... but i needed money and they went to a good cause!
JDM AE86/AE92