RHD conversion

Aero, body styling, in-car entertainment, visual aesthetics...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

DjSpecter

RHD conversion

Post by DjSpecter »

Ok for income tax (yes i know im thinking early but I want to do as much research as possible before time is up) I want to do a RHD conversion not only for MAD TYTE JDM CREDIT But i just never seen a RHD corolla here in San Antonio. But I know a Full Front clip would be the easiest way to do it but would I need any engine parts? Cause i know the major thing would be the fire wall would have to be cut and then weld in the RHD one. Now my question is can I just switch everything over to the right side or would I need to use the JDM stuff?

Like... BMC , Clutch Resivor , Window wiper motor , I know the lines I will have to custom make but what about the steering rack? would I have to use the one from the clip or just flip mine? Anyone ever done a RHD conversion by them selfs from experince?

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

To do it right you will need a front clip with all steering components. As far as engine goes I dont think you will need any of the JDM parts. Check out mine in the toyota section. I have a few pics of my RHD.

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

I think what you really need are
All the pedal
Clutch Resivor (to match the pedal)
cross member (for RHD rack)
steering rack (stock steering column still work)
Dash
metal bar behind the dash.

The hard part would be the cowl area (inside the car).
Firewall are the same just different hole lacation.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

you can leave the usdm engine and ecu but you will have to rewire your engine harness since the ecu will be on the other side of the car or you can swap everything from the jdm front clip and run the map set up and get rid of that ugly afm
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

don't forget the rhd wiper motors.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Im serious about this cause a week ago a few buddies of mine and I were crusin down town and saaw 3 240sx and they were in a crew and all were RHD and everyone was all AWWWWWWWW LOOK ITS RHD! and I was wondering how hardit would be? So pretty much just a full front clip?

nexus4400

Post by nexus4400 »

don't be a follower... but a trend setter.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:Im serious about this cause a week ago a few buddies of mine and I were crusin down town and saaw 3 240sx and they were in a crew and all were RHD and everyone was all AWWWWWWWW LOOK ITS RHD! and I was wondering how hardit would be? So pretty much just a full front clip?
so all you really want is the "AWWWWWWWW LOOK ITS RHD!" factor? that's a lot of work and money for very little gains.

why not just import an actual REAL RHD model so you also have the km/h cluster and have to do the conversion as you drive to keep from speeding or annoying your fellow motorists behind your grandma speed.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Well its not that I want to be a follower its more like I would like to own a RHD vehicel and get the Look thats bad ass its on the oppisite side look. I know how people feel about it. like some say its only for looks some say its tight then others are like well....i dont care. I mean im still gonna drive it and not baby it. I been in a RHD 240 before nad I can say its a diffrent kind of experence for sure. I would love to import one but im not BALLIN with that kind of money on me. And just to import one can you imagine the wait time from customs getting ahold of it and then trying to get it regestered here and then so on...Yea i done my research on that already. lol I was thinking I mean like I said im not trying to build a crazy one of a kind drift car cause I know some might say that its all played out already but I am liking the fact that its gonna be RHD and i know its not going to be JDM but just having tobe diffrent (yes I know its not diffrent) iscool to me. Like alot of you say "its all up to you how you want to do your car so do it" Well Im just asking if it will be hard and does anyone know where to start looking for front clips at?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:Well its not that I want to be a follower its more like I would like to own a RHD vehicel and get the Look thats bad ass its on the oppisite side look. I know how people feel about it. like some say its only for looks some say its tight then others are like well....i dont care. I mean im still gonna drive it and not baby it. I been in a RHD 240 before nad I can say its a diffrent kind of experence for sure. I would love to import one but im not BALLIN with that kind of money on me. And just to import one can you imagine the wait time from customs getting ahold of it and then trying to get it regestered here and then so on...Yea i done my research on that already. lol I was thinking I mean like I said im not trying to build a crazy one of a kind drift car cause I know some might say that its all played out already but I am liking the fact that its gonna be RHD and i know its not going to be JDM but just having tobe diffrent (yes I know its not diffrent) iscool to me. Like alot of you say "its all up to you how you want to do your car so do it" Well Im just asking if it will be hard and does anyone know where to start looking for front clips at?
dude, you won't be breakin' the bank to bring one in and there's a really good chance there are a few already here and for sale east coast side. check florida man. contact suns here in houston.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

NUmber or Website I can see?

gda03subaru

Post by gda03subaru »

dr.occa wrote:
DjSpecter wrote:Im serious about this cause a week ago a few buddies of mine and I were crusin down town and saaw 3 240sx and they were in a crew and all were RHD and everyone was all AWWWWWWWW LOOK ITS RHD! and I was wondering how hardit would be? So pretty much just a full front clip?
so all you really want is the "AWWWWWWWW LOOK ITS RHD!" factor? that's a lot of work and money for very little gains.

why not just import an actual REAL RHD model so you also have the km/h cluster and have to do the conversion as you drive to keep from speeding or annoying your fellow motorists behind your grandma speed.
it only took about 2 months to learn the speeds and break the mph habit in the rex, but i dont drive it that often so everytime i get in it (about once a month) it takes a second for that info to click in
03' Wrx
86 ae86

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

To import the car shipping from Japan to CA is about $1000-1500 paper work assume that you get early year (older than 25 year) + tax about $800 shipping to Texas $500 :D
Do it

raccoonracing
Tourist

Post by raccoonracing »

thats alot cheaper than finding a clip. and then doing all the conversion work and welding. and then finding out your missing some random part that noone has.
gl with this ive only had the chance to c two rhd corollas in person so far in my life. and both were real chassis from japan.
Amerikajin custom fab.
(951)685-8133 Riverside,CA
We Do KAAZ's Corolla Cages
SCCA/D1 Spec. Cage $1600
Amerikajin custom fab.&RB-Performance.net's[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2CUWEw8lkM]R32.4 Skyline[/url]

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

I have couple set of RHD pedals if anybody want some.