Celica GT (or RT130 Corona) axle in ae86?

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yukesrevolver
Tourist

Celica GT (or RT130 Corona) axle in ae86?

Post by yukesrevolver »

Repost from club4ag:

Have searched hi and low for information on this. Every search always, always, alwayyysss, is about the celica supra rear into the ae86, nothing about the RA64 solid rear end.

Long story short, looking at buying an SR5, and the local pick yard has an 82 Corona of all things sitting around untouched. I know these come with a T series diff, and through part number research on toydiy, i think I can basically confirm its the same damned rear-end as the Celica GT's (even the housings match).

Soo, as I doubt anyone has actually swapped an RT130 rear into their ae86, who has done the celica gt swap? Straight forward for the most part, or some welding necessary for the mounts, etc.? Just looking at doing the easiest T swap possible without doing a GTS rear end. They might as well be unobtanium out here. Hell, even RA64's in the yard are rare....Coronas, even rarer. But its a cheap snag for a good upgrade. Have a zenki LSD on hand, and I've heard all T series rear-ends of this era used the same type zenki non-lsd rear axles. Which means, just a little shave, and poof! LSD rear.

Did further research and apparently the control arms on this rear-end, the Celica GT rear-end, AND the MA46 rear-end are the same. At least, they share the exact same parts number via Toyota. Only thing that's different is the lateral bar. It got me to thinking maybe T3's "direct bolt-on" control arm set for the MA46 would probably work with this rear-end as well.

Apparently, also, there are some RA64 guys using AE86 rear springs on their car's, even though their spring perch is slightly smaller. From the pictures I've seen the springs seat fine anyways. Just looking for insight, possibly from someone who's actually done it to their SR5.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Celica GT (or RT130 Corona) axle in ae86?

Post by dr.occa »

The kiwis goof around with the RT and AE parts quite a bit. You may check with them. Also, have you seen this thread?