GTS rear end swap...

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

GTS rear end swap...

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

What all would I have to do exactly to swap my whole rear end assembly with an 85 Celica Supra?? I called the pick and pull lot here in town and they said the whole rear end assembly from hub to hub with the gears and everything but the arms and rods is 114.66 with tax. So, if I get it, what all do I have to customize to fit it?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: GTS rear end swap...

Post by dr.occa »

This thread will answer all your questions.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

ColorollaAE86 wrote:What all would I have to do exactly to swap my whole rear end assembly with an 85 Celica Supra?? I called the pick and pull lot here in town and they said the whole rear end assembly from hub to hub with the gears and everything but the arms and rods is 114.66 with tax. So, if I get it, what all do I have to customize to fit it?

1985 Celica Supra? Are you swapping in the full IRS subframe? or is this the 1978-1982 Solid axle???? Or do you have one of the 1985 Celica GT solid axle differentials?

I can also testify if you have the early Celica Supra diff, the only thing you HAVE to swap is the spring perches. T3 makes a panhard for this diff swap in an 86, and the control arm placement is not far enough off to matter. It actually triangulates and provides more tension. The big difference is that the bushings in the differential are 14mm inner diameter, and the 86 ones are 12mm inner diameter. my current car had 14mm bushings in the rear position of the control arm already(I don't know why but it did).

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

Yeah, it's a solid rear axle and I'm doing the whole rear end swap - hub to hub and pumpkin. The only thing is that I don't know if the rear end is good or bad, considering it is in a pick and pull salvage yard. But, honestly, I would rather spend money on a rear end that is easier to find parts for than one that isn't, you know. BTW, does anyone know the gear ratio on an 85 celica supra?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

ok, 1985 Celica Supra did NOT have a solid axle. The Celica GT did, but the GTS had an independent rear suspension much like a 240sx, so did the Celica Supra... you need to make sure you're getting the right one. The Celica GT has a 6.7" ring gear differential much like the AE86 GTS one but it has drum brakes. If your car is an SR5 this is a decent upgrade. If you're swapping into a GTS, this is dumb. The 1978 to 1981/2 Celica Supra had the 7.5" ring gear solid axle diff with disc brakes, and with the exception of the spring perches, is a bolt in swap, even the brakes are interchangeable. you need to make sure what year you're being quoted for and make sure it's the right one. Junkyards usually won't take something back because it was wrong.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

and plan on doing bearings, seals, and crush sleeve/pinion spacer on any one of the ones you may get...

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I'm not trying to sound like a dick either, I re-read my posts and to me they sounded rude. Just trying to make sure you're getting what you need.

I, personally, would love to see someone graft in a Celica Supra IRS subframe and diff assembly instead of doing the Nissan one. Keep it Toyota, but this isn't a bolt in job and would require a lot of fabrication to make it right. On a side note, I may do this on my next project 86.

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

Ok. My 85 GTS has a solid rear axle, not an independent rear suspension. Also, I have disc brakes all around, not drums.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

ae86 gts
ae86 sr5
1983-1985 Celica GT
1978-1982 Celica Supra
MA46_AE86AxleSwap2 by McKenneyLevin, on Flickr
all look like this!

1983-1985 Celica GTS
1983-1986.5 Celica Supra
3082475_24_full by McKenneyLevin, on Flickr
looks like this

does this help more???? said 1985 Celica Supra axle will NOT bolt in...

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

Well TRD did offer an 86 IRS rear suspension back in the day probably impossible to find nowadays. but yes mckenney is correct I also have the ma46 axle under my corolla. But i went with swapping the mounts off of a corolla axle and putting them on the celica supra diff.
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

The TRD kit was a custom cradle that mounted the 1983-1985 Celica GTS diff and axle assembly in the stock AE86 mounting location. Still not an easy find!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

You guys sure know a lot about the the corolla....

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

We tend to dive in pretty deep when we find a car we like.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

McKenney wrote:We tend to dive in pretty deep when we find a car we like.

Sounds like a country song....... lol :mrgreen:

j/k is good to know all this good info is here..... :mrgreen:

ColorollaAE86
Tourist

Post by ColorollaAE86 »

I didn't say you we're wrong, BTW, I was just telling you what my corolla has. I never went by the pick n pull lot to see for sure what exactly it has. Some shit happened here at home so I had to take care of that before anything else. But hopefully I can check it out tomorrow for sure to see if there is a celiac there as well cu I remember seeing one awhile back. Maybe it will still be there, and it was a Celica GT as a matter of fact.