TE71/1UZ rear end questions

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

chaddy
Tourist

TE71/1UZ rear end questions

Post by chaddy »

Alright well I have an 82 corolla coupe and I plan on doing a 1uz swap soon. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so what rear end they used. I have seen the ae86 gts rear end, supra, and even some ford rear end swaps and would like to know what it would take for each rear end to work on my car. If any just bolt right up or what would have to be modded to work. When finished it will be a full track (drift) car that might see some street use but not much at all.
thanks

bt20v

Re: TE71/1UZ rear end questions

Post by bt20v »

the factory corolla rear takes some beefing up to use...Weir axles and spool and people have still broken gears. The ford would be a good choice its strong and readily available...But wheel choice will be changed. I used a celica supra diff, made a jig, cut the mounts off the corolla diff, and had them welded to the celica supra diff. People have been running that diff with out problems. Its only 15mm wider then 86 gs diff and same bolt pattern.

T3 sells a kit that will allow that diff to be bolt in for an 86 I believe they are similar to yours but you would need to verify with T3
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)

chaddy
Tourist

Post by chaddy »

Thanks a lot man that was very helpful. do you have any pics of your jig/ diff after welding?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

You can get 4 links from t3 for the celica supra diff as well as a panhard. Then all you'll really need to swap is the spring perches. Save you alot of hassle.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Tapatalk