LSD question...

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yashiro86

LSD question...

Post by yashiro86 »

Hey guys,
so I have a non LSD 86, and an oem LSD popped up for sale on hachiroku.net for cheap ($190 is that cheap?) But the seller recommends a rebuild. I know some companies offer rebuild kits for LSD's so I'm thinking of buying it before it sells. But, my question is do I need anything else to have the LSD installed and is it even worth it? I was reading some posts before I decided to ask...and it seems, but I could be wrong, that the axles from LSD & non
LSD are different. So would that mean I would need to buy different axles as well of would the ones on my rear end work? I just want to be able to have fun turning RIGHT and left lol
Thanks again guys cuz I definitely don't know much!

87inaustin

Re: LSD question...

Post by 87inaustin »

LSD\\ axels are different length but you may be able to cut yours to fit .

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You need LSD axles as 87inaustin stated or you can trim approximately 5mm of the spline ends of each axle.

ALSO

Dependent on whether it's a zenki LSD or kouki LSD you'll need the appropriate axles too. Zenki axles will not fit a kouki diff and vice versa.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Ohh ok thanks! Well the LSD is a kouki and so is my car...so the axles...where can I go trim them? Ugh guess it would just be better to take it to someone?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Get in touch with slideshow240 (Chris Lee). Maybe he can trim them for you for a very affordable price at his machine shop.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Thanks Jonas I just pm'ed him! I hope its not too expensive for everything altogether. Cuz the LSD w shipping is $205 and a rebuild kit is $160...little red unless money eater...luckily I love it hahahahaha

clooney
Tourist

Post by clooney »

hi sorry to hijack this thread, but i have similar question so figured i just post here.

my car is a zenki and has no lsd from factory. from my reading here, the axles for zenki and kouki are different.

i saw a few ads local to me selling LSD 86 axles, all selling complete disc brake to disc brakes

1. if i buy a complete Kouki LSD axle, is it a direct bolt on to my Zenki? plug and play? any mods required?

2. how do I tell or inspect if the axle i am looking at is zenki or kouki?

3. what RP ratio is best? i have seen some advertised as 4.1 and 4.3, 4.7, 1.5, 2 and 3 way?? which is best for my intended use? street?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Any rear 86 rear end will bolt up to another 86.

What's important is that Kouki axles and kouki differentials (open or lsd) stay together. To use non-lsd axles in a factory lsd differential, ~5mm needs to be shaved off of the spline ends. Cusco lsd's will accept both non-lsd & lsd axles. Keep Zenki axles with zenki differentials. Again, the 5mm shave applies. Here's a great page by Chris Migallo (one of the early 21st century 86 web informers).

clooney
Tourist

Post by clooney »

dr.occa wrote:Any rear 86 rear end will bolt up to another 86.

What's important is that Kouki axles and kouki differentials (open or lsd) stay together. To use non-lsd axles in a factory lsd differential, ~5mm needs to be shaved off of the spline ends. Cusco lsd's will accept both non-lsd & lsd axles. Keep Zenki axles with zenki differentials. Again, the 5mm shave applies. Here's a great page by Chris Migallo (one of the early 21st century 86 web informers).
nice info. thanks!!

1. how do I tell or inspect if the axle i am looking at is zenki or kouki? open and measure the axles? the axle i am looking at is this Image

2. what RP ratio is best? i have seen some advertised as 4.1 and 4.3, 4.7, 1.5, 2 and 3 way?? which is best for my intended use? street? what was fitted from the factory?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

The only way to know for sure is to pull the axle.

The best way to know if it's an lsd without unbolting the pumpkin (3rd member) is to pull both axles and see if you can see through the diff to the other side. If you can it's open diff. If you can't it's lsd.

4.1 will help with lowering your hwy cruise rpms and save gas but you sacrifice a little acceleration
4.3 is stock GTS (open & lsd)
4.7 is the typical TRD upgrade for improved acceleration sacrificing fuel economy at hwy speeds.

The factory GTS lsd is 1.5
A 2 way is for traction on accel as well as decel - very similar to a spool which is fully locked except with the lsd it lets it slip when parking.
3 way...? Uh, you've got a dirty mind. ;) - wait, maybe that's me with a dirty mind :oops:

clooney
Tourist

Post by clooney »

clooney wrote:
dr.occa wrote:Any rear 86 rear end will bolt up to another 86.

nice info. thanks!!

1. how do I tell or inspect if the axle i am looking at is zenki or kouki? open and measure the axles? the axle i am looking at is this Image

2. what RP ratio is best? i have seen some advertised as 4.1 and 4.3, 4.7, 1.5, 2 and 3 way?? which is best for my intended use? street? what was fitted from the factory?
:various3: :mwaha: thanks!