Auto->manual... Last questions before I start.

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

demby123
Tourist

Auto->manual... Last questions before I start.

Post by demby123 »

I'm about to put a T50 manual transmission in my hatchi soon, and I'd like to ask a few questions.

The first one is the most concerning, I haven't gotten a straight answer for this yet.

The T50 trans I pulled came from an ae72 sedan with a 4ac engine, the issue is, this crossmember only has two bolt holes instead of the 4 an ae86 would normally have. Since i'm installing this in an SR5 and have no plans to GTS swap soon, would it be fine to use the mount from the ae72? or should I pick up an ae86 mount just to be safe?
Here's a picture of my T50 from top perspective

2nd, Should I buy new crossmember to frame bolts? or find some other bolts strong enough to hold.

3rd, I just got a new clutch fork, hub, and various other clutch assembly parts, however the hub won't slide into the throwout bearing. They are both new and i'm just wondering if it's normal to have some resistance when installing the throwout bearing onto the hub. If so, I've heard putting pilot bearings in the freezer is a good way to get them to fit easily, would this work with the throwout bearing?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Auto->manual... Last questions before I start.

Post by dr.occa »

1.) Supposedly the automatic transmission mounts for the RWD corollas (this is the mount with bushing not the part that bolts up to the chassis mind you) are interchangeable between them from 1977 to 1987. So with that information, we know that the actual chassis mount will bolt to all of these corollas. This is the case for both A/T and M/T models (though the mounts differ between the transmission types). With that being said, there's a good chance the transmission will mount up with the existing chassis mount. I believe the AE86 chassis has the provisioning already in place. IIRC there are a pair of unused mounting holes that may have been intended for that type of mount OR for mounting an automatic transmission. Either way, if the mount lines up with any of the bolt holes than you should be fine. Whether your still sporting the 4AC or a GE you're not going yank that trans out of place with the whopping 70-96 whp from either motors. ;)

2.) New bolts are always good.

3.) For the throw out bearing: a new bearing needs to be pressed on to the hub. Since you have a new hub then you just have that one step to perform. With old throw-out bearing and hub assemblies. The old one needs to be pressed off and then the new one pressed on. Most clutch kits for the 4A come with the wrong throw-out bearing assembly. They usually come with one for a FWD setup. No good for RWD.

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

dr.occa wrote:1.) Supposedly the automatic transmission mounts for the RWD corollas (this is the mount with bushing not the part that bolts up to the chassis mind you) are interchangeable between them from 1977 to 1987. So with that information, we know that the actual chassis mount will bolt to all of these corollas. This is the case for both A/T and M/T models (though the mounts differ between the transmission types). With that being said, there's a good chance the transmission will mount up with the existing chassis mount. I believe the AE86 chassis has the provisioning already in place. IIRC there are a pair of unused mounting holes that may have been intended for that type of mount OR for mounting an automatic transmission. Either way, if the mount lines up with any of the bolt holes than you should be fine. Whether your still sporting the 4AC or a GE you're not going yank that trans out of place with the whopping 70-96 whp from either motors. ;)
Well as I was wiggling the T50 into place today I noticed the bolt holes line up with the chassis, but they're spaced too narrow. So the ae72 mount will not work.

I'm going to try mounting my auto trans crossmember mount to the T50 and see if something mixes and matches.

If anyone has an ae86 manual crossmember and mount though, I'd be happy to buy one.

bt20v

Post by bt20v »

i think i have one where are you located im in dallas ill pm you my number text me
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)