what is the best tranny and lsd diff fluid

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: what is the best tranny and lsd diff fluid

Post by dr.occa »

Redline puts out a good product line of lubricants too. You won't go wrong usually with Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple when it comes to gear oil. Syncromesh is going to be tops in my book because I've had consistently good experiences with it over the past 10+ years I've been using it and so have others that have I've recommended it to.

There are a great deal of variables from car to car. I advise against GL5 oil only because in general it doesn't play well with "yellow" metals (commonly used for syncros) and that's been reported from independent tests but keep in mind these tests are more often than not in very controlled settings with very little if any real world variation.

clooney
Tourist

Post by clooney »

has anyone actually seen the synchro damages from using a GL5 oil?

Amsoil severe gear says the oil can be used for manual gearboxes.

damn, Amsoil does have many oils and it seems that all of them are good with manual trannys... :action19:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

As far as the gearbox and rear diff, I go with Amsoil. It's in both of my 86s - Amsoil Synchro Mesh (if I don't have any then I use the next best thing - Pennzoil Synromesh) and Amsoil Severe Gear for the Diff (LSD, Spool or Open).

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

From what I hear Amsoil is one of the best that you can buy. I'm using royal purple in my sc300 diff along with a few other people I know and have had nothing but great results so far. You know that great feeling you get when you finally change your oil? That's the same feeling i got when changing diff fluid. Poor thing probably hadn't been changed in 120k miles though.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

ive used redline mt90, its good. i ended up moving on to shockproof light and that thing make it shift like butta

mozartung

Post by mozartung »

This is good info.[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Ae86_abby
Tourist

Post by Ae86_abby »

Redline mt90 for my Trans it feels fantastic much better than the straight gear oil that was in the Trans when I got the car

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2