Custom driveshaft ?

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

AE86silverred

Custom driveshaft ?

Post by AE86silverred »

So instead of getting a carrier bearing I want to go ahead and get a custom driveshaft made I've looked it up and I hear about 100-200 bucks now he will be using my parts off my my car .. Anyone have Any experience on this .someone told me to get one at a junk yard that's longer and same thickness .. And he will cut that up and make mine.. What do u guys think ?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Custom driveshaft ?

Post by dr.occa »

You'll see improved drivetrain response because you won't have any point of "slop" but for added gains, see about one with lighter material and using Supra u-joints for rebuild-ability.

It's possible you may start adding strain to factory axles and probably begin wrecking 'em. The axles are already over 25 years old to begin with.

I should be joining the "custom driveshaft club" here soon with the 12A-E86 project.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

is this bringing a thread back to life if it's still on the same page and not halfway down the page yet?! LOL

you guys get custom driveshafts made yet? I'd like to know how you measured them. suspension hang measure? suspension as if it was on the ground measure? get the length add in supra u joints done? lol
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Really, you should set your rear end geometry/pinion and then measure with a string line from diff mating flange to trans input shaft flange for overall length. I'd also stick with 2 piece. That's how I measured mine.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Why are you suggesting a 2 piece if you don't mind me asking? In my case I'm doing a w-series trans and figured I might as well just get a 1 piece less drivetrain loss, better response, etc. Just curious of your thoughts.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

I have a one piece, and I think it is superior to my old two piece. I can't remember if I had it made from aluminum or steel, I think it was steel.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I'm running 2 piece with a street ported rotary motor in my coupe. For me, it's to offset the initial torque to the axles by letting the 2 piece design act as a "dampener". This should help lengthen the life of my factory axles.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ahhhhh that makes sense now. I picked up McKenney's Weir Spool and 30mm axles. Im thinkin I'll be alright with running a 1 piece. Those axles should take the abuse. If not... Looks like I'll be back to the drawing boards lol. Even though it's kind of hard to break an axle with a non running engine... LOL
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/