Part Compatibility between 20 Spline & 22 Spline T50 Box

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Red Diablo
Tourist

Part Compatibility between 20 Spline & 22 Spline T50 Box

Post by Red Diablo »

Hi Guys,

This post is a little long winded so bear with me!

I am rebuilding a 20 spline T50 transmission that I bought standalone so am not sure exactly what model it is out of.

It is being transplanted into a Mk2 Cortina but Sleeve, Transmission Hub No.3 is worn (probably due to jamming into reverse while moving forward) and so far I have been unsuccessful in sourcing a replacement. I have tried Australian toyota dealers, US dealers and Amayama in Japan with no success.

The part is a 33395-14010 which was replaced by 33395-14012.

I recently discovered that in the T50 fitted to the Corolla between August 79 & June 81 another part number (33395-14013) is listed which carried through into the later 22 Spline boxes. Does anyone have any experience rebuilding these boxes and know whether this would be compatible?

I have checked a few web sites and they are listing a 33395-26010 as a replacement for the 33395-14013. Both of these parts are available. from Japan.

Any help would be appreciated. :?:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Part Compatibility between 20 Spline & 22 Spline T50 Box

Post by dr.occa »

Andrew (aka assassin10000) would be a good person to contact. You can reach him either through here or Club4AG.

Red Diablo
Tourist

Post by Red Diablo »

Thanks dr.

I have sent him a PM.

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Unfortunately, I don't know this one.

If the gears, shift fork, bearings, etc. are the same part #'s it could work. I haven't looked into this though.

Andrew

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Shift forks, bearings, housing(center one the holds main shaft and countershaft) are the same. bell housings and tail housings are different. The main shaft that the shifter pops into is different length due to shifter placement. Gear ratios are close but differ slightly. The third gear synchro I've been told is different but the intermediate shaft still drops into the older trans. I know of a few 3TC guys running 4AG T50's with their bellhousing and tailhousings and the main shifter shaft swapped over. Hope this helps.

Red Diablo
Tourist

Post by Red Diablo »

Hi Guys,

To provide an update on this thread I ordered the 33395-14013 Sleeve from Amayama in Japan as they indicated that it was in stock. Turns out that the alternative 33395-26010 was the only part available. It was dispatched in Japan on Saturday and arrived in Newcastle yesterday (Tuesday). Very impressed by the delivery time! Whilst the sleeve is different to the original, initial expectations are that it will do the job. It fits the inner gear and the 5th gear side of the sleeve looks the same. The reverse gear side is not machined like the original and looks more robust. Perhaps to make it last longer where subject to abuse. Will try back in the box on the weekend and see how it goes.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

If you can spare the time, share some polaroids.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

dr.occa wrote:If you can spare the time, share some polaroids.

Do people still use polaroids?? haha jk jk

some pics would be sweet though!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

Red Diablo
Tourist

Post by Red Diablo »

I tried to attach a couple of pics when I first started the thread but it appears that I don't have sufficient permission to post attachments.

Red Diablo
Tourist

Post by Red Diablo »

Before Pics can be seen in a thread at: http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/51 ... nsmission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ImageImage

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

"fixed"

Red Diablo
Tourist

Post by Red Diablo »

Gearbox is back together and back in the car.

All good.

I didn't get a pic of the replacement ring but the only difference to the original one shown above is that where the one above has a concave machined shoulder (where the red dot is) the new one is not machined so the shoulder is square. The opposite side (5th gear side) is identical to the original.

So in summary the original part was a 33395-14010 that was superseded by 33395-14012 (neither of which are available any longer) there was the potential corolla alternative of 33395-14013 which has been superseded by 33395-26010. This part also suits Hiace's, 4Runners and a couple of other models.

As for buying the parts I now suspect that most of the sites that list the part don't actually carry any stock so in future I'll be going direct to Amayama in Japan.

I also had 7 bearings replaced in the box. Getting those wasn't as easy as I thought it would be either.

Thanks for the comments and posting of the pic.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Thanks for taking the time to share this information with the 86 community at large Red D.