SR-5 Auto -> GT-S Manual Conversion

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Force_Fed

SR-5 Auto -> GT-S Manual Conversion

Post by Force_Fed »

Ok, so I've run into a slight problem and just want to see if anybody has gone through this and if so, what was the solution.

I have an SR-5 Auto and am converting it (mechanical only) to a 5-speed GT-S. What really surprised me is the fact that the holes for the clutch master cylinder were already pre-drilled. Now the clutch pedal bracket has a stud and a hole for the clutch M/C. There is a 3rd hole on the top of the bracket which is for the upper bolt that fastens the bracket to the chassis.

My question is, is there a small bracket that's welded to the under cowl sheet metal or does the pedal bracket fasten directly to cowl sheet metal? It seems I am lacking a necessary bracket that an auto chassis would not have because of the lack of a clutch pedal. Any info is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Now after looking at it, the holes for the M/C might have been created by the last owner. So another question is, do the auto chassis' come the firewall pre-drilled for the M/C?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: SR-5 Auto -> GT-S Manual Conversion

Post by daveskatesallday »

do you have any pics? or can you take any of this?
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Yeah, I'll take some tomorrow, er today.

Just as I suspected, there is a small support bracket that is missing. Now I have to fabricate one from scratch OR find a 5 speed 86 and drill that little bracket from the chassis.

I also found out that the clutch master cylinder holes in the bulkhead are pre-drilled from the factory. Yay!

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

That's the gap that exists between the lower cowl and the clutch pedal bracket. From what I understand, a few people have ran into this issue. They took action as they saw fit.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

i see well honestly i haven't had to do anything like this on my car b/c it was already manual tranny but i'll talk to a few friends and see if i can help you out
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

I got on Clug4AG and found a statement made by Andrew aka Assassin10000 in regards to an auto to manual swap. He stated that he remembers that the auto chassis' were lacking a bracket as I had suspected.

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Yep.

I'd probably make a an aluminum bracket and use 3-4 self tapping screws above into the 'cowl' and a drill a hole to use a bolt/nut for the clutch pedal.

It's just to keep things from flexing around IIRC

Otherwise if my friend had time I'd have him weld one on.

Andrew

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

I've partially solved the issue. I actually took the old mangled trunk lid that came with the car and cut a 1" x 6" section from the skin. I then drilled a 13mm hole in the center and welded a M8x1.25mm nut on the back side. I've taken a mold of the underside of the cowl using expansion foam. With this I'll have the contour of the cowl. This is where I'm at so far. I'll Then make a working mold of the original mold. Now I have an exact replica of the cowl under side. With this I can shape the bracket to ensure the bracket sits flush with the panel. Then I'll simply tack it to the chassis and follow up with a solid TIG pass of I can. Upside down TIG FTL!!! I have a feeling I'm going to just MIG it because the upside down TIG is a biatch and I like my unburned eyes and pretty face. :D

EDIT: I just looked at what positions I have to TIG. I'm just gonna MIG it.

inertia

Post by inertia »

pics

coupesprinter

Post by coupesprinter »

Yup, just as you suspected... there is a bracket spot welded in.

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Thanks a bunch for the photo. Helps immensly

Force_Fed

Post by Force_Fed »

Now after some progress, seems my transmission in a tad bit foward. I'm re-using the 4A-C engine mounts. Should I be using 4A-GE engine mounts? Or does this have to do with the fact that my car was auto and is now 5 speed? Is there a difference in motor mounts between auto and manual or between DX / SR-5 to GT-S? I did notice that there were 3 sets (6 total) of threaded holes where the tranny mount attaches to the chassis. I presume this is to accomidate for different engine / tranny combos?

On a side note, I just located a junked SR-5 and I'll be getting all the much needed nick-nacks from it.