Taking out the diff

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ToeKnee805
Tourist

Taking out the diff

Post by ToeKnee805 »

Im kinda embarrassed to ask this, but i need a definite answer on it. I have a stock GTS diff nonLSD. Im looking to weld it as soon as i get it back and start practicing that way. But what exactly do i need as in tools, special tools, parts, misc stuff? And can anyone tell me in laymans terms how to remove it step by step. Ive got the book, but its confusing me. Sorry for sounding like a newb, i used to know my old car inside and out, but now that ive switched to a 'rolla, im completely lost. But hey you never learn unless you ask. Thanks!

mandm177

Re: Taking out the diff

Post by mandm177 »

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=19401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow those steps to take out the axles, then its 4 nuts and bolts to take out the driveshaft (might have to hit it with a rubber hammer to get it off) and about 8 bolts around the pumpkin and it SHOULD come off...

ToeKnee805
Tourist

Post by ToeKnee805 »

seems pretty straight forward, so i just remove the rear brakes, slide hammer the axles out, and unbolt the DS from the diff and undo the diff bolts. Cool. I dont have to replace any seals or gaskets then? I see non reusable parts on the shop manual. But im guessing many of you still reuse them without problems right?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

ToeKnee805 wrote:seems pretty straight forward, so i just remove the rear brakes, slide hammer the axles out, and unbolt the DS from the diff and undo the diff bolts. Cool. I dont have to replace any seals or gaskets then? I see non reusable parts on the shop manual. But im guessing many of you still reuse them without problems right?
yes to everything but a few things.

- pickup either a new gasket or a tube of the orange permatex (specifically for sealing things such as oil pans, etc...) sealant.
- if there are no leaks, i wouldn't worry about the oil seal. so change out your fluid and put in some severe gear fluid from amsoil in there. of course fill it after you've fully assembled the rear end back together.

and yeah, just reuse the nuts. should be 10mm nuts (10 of them IIRC).

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

12MM(lower caliper bolt and nuts that hold the pumpkin in), 14MM(caliper bracket bolts), 15/16(or 24MM for fill and drain plugs in diff) sockets, two 12MM open ends for driveshaft, slidehammer. Patience and a drain bucket for old fluid. I've had mine apart 7 times now... In 2 years.