driveshaft trouble...

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

DjSpecter

driveshaft trouble...

Post by DjSpecter »

I know this might sound like a dumb question and I see what I might be doing wrong but I didnt have a drieshaft so I went to pull one off of a GTS hatchback GTS and put it on my SR5 coupe but it seems to be maby like a inch short....ok then I thought wait I may need a SR5 driveshaft so I went to buy one form my local salvage yard and picked up one for 30 bucks and got under the car and tried to install it but once again it came up about a inch short.?.?.? Ok now my car is a Coupe 1985 SR5 and some how these 2 driveshafts are not working buth GTS and SR5 they are both from a hatchback. Is there a length diffrence in the 2 being coupe and hatchback? If so I need a coupe driveshaft!! IF no one has one then im going alluminum driveshaft.

inertia

Post by inertia »

didnt you tell me that's not the original sr5 trans if not that might be the problem
the trans might be to short .

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

there's no difference in driveshaft lengths between coupes or hatchbacks. the difference is in length is due to the third member.

have you put both driveshafts side by side and noted the similarities or differences if any outside of length.

also, is your 86 an auto or manual?

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

ok here is the long story short...

car was AUTO I went to the junkyard and bought a engine and tranny. Engine was out of a 1986 Toyota Corolla coupe (AUTOMATIC) and the tranny was from a 1985 toyota corolla wagon I think TE7* i cant remember. but I have 3 driveshaft one SR5 and one GTs and one SR5 auto all came from a hatchback but the sutomatic DRiveshaft came form my car. So I need a driveshaft from a coupe tvat is from a 5 speed. I will trade GTS parts and cash if needed.

inertia

Post by inertia »

thats your problem then you gotta get a custom drive shaft made or switch tranny to an sr5 or gts with sr5 bellhousing same tranny different bellhousing.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Well Its a T50 tranny with a SR5 bellhousing and both GTS and SR5 tranny are equal in length.....my guess is that I need a coupe driveshaft. cause I got 2 hatchback driveshaft that are 5 speed and 1 automatic driveshaft that I just took off the car. thats why I asked if there was a diffrence in the length of a hatchback vs coupe?

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

look it up on toyodiy and check all the drive shaft part numbers to see if there is a difference.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Ok on toyodiy.com

A 2 door coupe driveshaft, the 5 digit part number is 37100

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1986_T ... _3701.html

And for a 3 door (hatchback) the 5 digit number is 37100

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_1986_T ... _3701.html

Would anyone in San Antonio be kind enough to let me use there driveshaft just for a test fit? all i would need it for is 30 min. 15min to take it off your car 5 to test fit on mine and 10 to put it back on your car. :D
MUST BE 5 SPEED.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Dj, i went ahead and deleted your double post there.

to answer your question: No, again there is Noooo difference in driveshafts between coupes and hatchbacks.

-a driveshaft from an automatic will not work for ANY manual.

-a driveshaft from ANY open diff 5speed AE86 GTS will work with other open diff GTS models and LSD equipped AE86 models BUT WILL NOT WORK with any SR5 AE86 equipped with stock SR5 rear end w/ drum brakes.

had to reference some old notes. i get mixed up sometimes. my apologies everyone.
Last edited by dr.occa on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

dr.occa wrote: a driveshaft from ANY open diff 5speed AE86 GTS or SR5 will NOT work with ANY AE86 LSD equipped models and vice versa: open diff driveshaft too long for LSD models and LSD driveshafts too short.
are you sure? i dont see how the non lsd housing would be any different from the lsd housing. esp since the ring and pinion are all the same. axles on the other hand are diff specific
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

I understanfthat a auto driveshaft will not fit any manual transmission correctly. Im just saying that I have a GTS and SR5 driveshaft that I put on my car that is from a 5 speed and its still short maby like about half a inch.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

my open diff gt-s driveshaft works great with my lsd rear end.... maybe i'm confused but i think any manual shaft should work with any manual tranny/rearend
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

ga_goosh wrote:
dr.occa wrote: a driveshaft from ANY open diff 5speed AE86 GTS or SR5 will NOT work with ANY AE86 LSD equipped models and vice versa: open diff driveshaft too long for LSD models and LSD driveshafts too short.
are you sure? i dont see how the non lsd housing would be any different from the lsd housing. esp since the ring and pinion are all the same. axles on the other hand are diff specific
CBR_TOY wrote:my open diff gt-s driveshaft works great with my lsd rear end.... maybe i'm confused but i think any manual shaft should work with any manual tranny/rearend
i fixed my post guys. thanks for catching that. too much to keep in the old noggin' sometimes. :wink:

erickz300

Post by erickz300 »

is the car up on jack stands? are they holding the diff?
sounds to me like the diff dropped down enough to where the driveshaft dont reach the diff. try jacking up the diff a bit to see if reaches it :roll:

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

car is on ramps so I can get under it and second the diff is fine and so is the rear end the input shaft slides in to the tranny PERFECT! and the middle bearing, the one that bolts up to the center bottom bolts up perfect as well. but the part the connects to the rear end is just off by a inch or maby half a inch. I tried taking off the diff and moving it but still no help. is there a

LENGTH DIFFRENCE IN THE HATCHBACK DRIVESHAFT TO THE COUPE??

I will post up pics of what I mean.