driveshaft trouble...

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

inertia

Post by inertia »

from hatch to coupe, no manuel to auto yes ,look to see if the second part of thr drive shaft is the same measure up both and maybe from two you can make one ,just an idea might or might not work

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:... is there a

LENGTH DIFFRENCE IN THE HATCHBACK DRIVESHAFT TO THE COUPE??
again, no.

the SR5 you pulled the driveshaft from, did you notice if it had drum or disc rear brakes?

IF it had disc, someone swapped in a gts rear end into it. again, IF that's the case you got another GTS driveshaft.

the SR5 driveshaft will be longer than that of the GTS.

before opting for a shaft from an automatic, take note of the diameter size of the output gear on the tranny's transfer case (the part you slip the driveshaft into/onto). it may be different in size than that of the manual. i know it was different when i converted the 78 wagon from a 2TC 3 speed auto to 3TC w/ 5speed. the 3TC 5 speed is just another T50 but with a 2/3TC bellhousing. it's quite possible, the AE86 auto trans maybe the same as that of the 2/3TC.

what sounds like to me is you just need a longer rear half of the driveshaft. i may actually have one. measure the length of the ones you have that are 1" too short and i'll check what i've got.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

I blew out the carrier bearing in my t50 driveshaft and used one from an auto, I had no prob with it.

Plus it doesn't sound like toyota to make different length driveshafts by only 1 inch...

I may be wrong.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

McKenney
VIP Member

Re: driveshaft trouble...

Post by McKenney »

The gts driveshaft is a torquetube style driveshaft. On the differential side of the driveshaft, does it stay the same diameter all the way down or does it step down about 2 inches from the u joint? Also early model t50's have a shorter tailhousing by about 1 inch. If the trans is out of a wagon it's probably the older t50 and that could be your issue.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You like these old threads don't you McK.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Yep!!!!