gts rear end question

Transmission, differential, drive shafts, axles, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

GreatGorilla
Tourist

gts rear end question

Post by GreatGorilla »

Recently went in to swap out my old sr5 rear end to a gts rear end i was able to scoop up. I installed new parking brake cables as the old ones would not work with the different rear end, but my issue is that when i go to engage the parking brake the cables just get pulled on and dont actually pull the spring behind the calipers with enough strength so the wheels keep spinning. Im sure there is supposed to be some sort of clip thats supposed to keeps the cables in place but i have gone through the service manual in search of this piece but i cant for the life of me figure it out. Anyone have any clue as to what im missing?

RAWGarage
Tourist

Re: gts rear end question

Post by RAWGarage »

Hit up gts rear seller

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

Found it. For anyone who may run into this same problem theres a cable support that bolts to the back of the caliper. Right hand part number 46451-12021, and for the left hand side its 46452-12011. Theyre sort of pricey to purchase but ill have to look some more and see if i can get a good deal on them

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Another thing to note @GreatGorilla is there are 2 locations under the chassis in the rear where you secure the parking brake cables. Don't secure your GTS e-brake lines to the same ones your SR5 lines were. Also, you'll need to adjust proper tension on your lines via the 10mm (or is it 8mm?) nut to the right of the handle BUT only after your lines are all properly secured.

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

Yea I was able to secure them to 1 of the 2 mounting locations, but unfortunately I was never able to get my hands on the mounting bracket behind the caliper. I've read around and people seem to just create their own. I'm not very handy with fabricating my own parts so I'll have to figure something out. But thanks

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

hmm, I wouldn't think that would create much of an issue so long as they are clipped under the middle of the car like Jonas was saying. That should be the same for sr5/gts lines I believe. It was a major pita getting mine in/out, so it should definitely hold them tight. From there, I'd think you can just tighten the cable where it attaches to the e-brake handle.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

cdixon311 wrote:hmm, I wouldn't think that would create much of an issue so long as they are clipped under the middle of the car like Jonas was saying. That should be the same for sr5/gts lines I believe. It was a major pita getting mine in/out, so it should definitely hold them tight. From there, I'd think you can just tighten the cable where it attaches to the e-brake handle.
Yea I thought that would be enough to get it going, but every time I pull the brake the wheels keep spinning. Stepping on the brakes is fine so its not an issue of air in the lines or just the calipers failing. So I'm wondering that the reason they're not engaging is because of that bracket that holds them to the caliper. I also adjusted the cable and still nothing

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Well I don't have gts rear end, so I may be completely dumb about the issue. I don't understand why it wouldn't work if the cable is held tight. Once the outer area is tight, the rest can be as long as it wants, and it should pull the cable properly. I have one theory. Check out this thread, towards the bottom of his pics where it shows them attached to the underside of the middle of the car. If you didn't attach these in the specific location, it might allow the entire cable to slide and move. I'm willing to bet if you had a friend pull the cable while you looked it all over you could find where the issue is at. I'm in cypress, if you're willing to drive out I could help you look at it.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=6239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

Yea that's where I have them mounted and held in place, but the car doesn't move :( I'm in the middle of a swap haha. It's a sad day in the life of me

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Ok, I think I see why. Yea, You're gonna need those brackets on the caliper. This picture makes it pretty clear that this is just gonna flop around without them.

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/plate21 ... 2.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

heres the thread for that pic http://www.aeu86.org/forum/showthread.php?pid=133358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

That pic nailed it. Now to figure out how to either get my hands on those brackets or figure out how to make them

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

I think these are them. $15 each. Double check that before buying though, I didn't look too hard.

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/p/_ ... 12030.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/p/_ ... 12020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Sites like this are usually just linked to Toyota dealerships. So, you could go to a dealer and ask them to order it. Price should be the same all around. They have access to every part for our cars still.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

GreatGorilla
Tourist

Post by GreatGorilla »

Dude man. I love you man (no homo) ima look into that a bit further. If not ill go back to the dealership and talk to someone. Last time i went i got no help with the lady at the counter. She was probably just having a bad day

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Lol yea probably. Dealer should be able to reference the schematics like whats on that site I linked. I went up there and ordered tons of bolts and nuts. Literally everything is still available for this car, but dealer prices kinda suck. I got my water pump through them too. Took about 3 weeks to ship from Japan, but they got it for me.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050