3tc Build help

Anything related to TE27 and old school corolla

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

4EyedGoon
Tourist

3tc Build help

Post by 4EyedGoon »

Ive been on 3tcgarage but i cant find what I want. I have a thread going there but yet to return info as of yet.

I want a streetable mild NA build. I want to run high comp pistons and I'll need a cam. My question is what else should I buy? Also what kindof cam should I be looking for?

SkabRock5

Re: 3tc Build help

Post by SkabRock5 »

i been trying to get on that forum for some time now unsuccesfully. im running a .265/.474 cam on mine. i was told its the biggest cam you can fit with stock pistons. it feels pretty mild to me but make a muscle car idle...nice. i got mine from BRDracing.com are you wanting ti run carbs or fuel injection?

4EyedGoon
Tourist

Post by 4EyedGoon »

My bad Ill give you my specs.

32/36 Weber down draft
Ebay Header
Straight exhaust with a muffler

I am planning on staying carby. I do want to run high comp pistons but I'm not sure does the head need to have any work? Valve job?

Does anyone suggest boring the block?

What would yall suggest as far as getting into valvetrain? What all do I need to buy if I plan on running high comp pistons and a cam?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Skab mentioned BRDRacing.com - they've been at building 2/3TC setups for years. You might want to contact them for more specific engine building advice.

I know Crower is popular for their 2/3TC camshafts. They sell rods too.
http://www.crower.com/catalogsearch/res ... TC&x=0&y=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In all honesty though, BRDRacing.com has some killer stuff. The prices for 3TC components are so much cheaper than 4AG upgrades. You definitely get more bang for your buck with the T motors. Check out BRD's needle bearing rocker arms. Those things are sick!
http://www.brdracing.com/3tc_valvetrain.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

A great thing you can do on your own is get your stock rocker arms to all weight as identical to one another as possible.

1. Just pull the rocker arm assembly as one piece.
2. Remember each rocker arms' & springs orientation/placement (numbering them & diagramming the assembly will help)
3. Weight each one and document then pick the lightest one. (leave the adjustment screws in them as part of each rocker arms total weight. You can't really balance the screws and washers.)
4. Remove material from each rocker arm to weight as much as the lightest rocker arm. Remove material from the top arch of the rocker arm using either a disc sander or orbital sander. You just don't want the rocker arms flinging out of your hands or slipping thereby damaging them.
5. Thoroughly clean them with non abrasive solvent and compressed air.
6. Reassemble the rocker arm assembly with the engine oil you'll be using in the motor.

Voila!

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

^^ good to know...

UncleTonyBerman

Post by UncleTonyBerman »

Ah.... nice info... I will need to remember this

4EyedGoon
Tourist

Post by 4EyedGoon »

I understand the need for stuff to be balanced. What is the gain of the rocker assembly being balanced? Would the weight of each rocker arm not matter since its bolted down? Obviously there is some gain from it since BRD sells the balanced rocker assembly

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Keep in mind the rocker arms' individual weight give resistance to the cam as well. If each rocker arm had differing weights then each cam lobe would see uneven resistance throughout each cycle. The lighter and equal load across the length of the cam makes for a more efficient running motor.